Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

hulk2006
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

A lens I'm looking to purchase is $200 cheaper because it's from South Korea rather than Amazon. Actually it's $300 cheaper because of a mail in rebate. Should I be concerned? Why such a big difference? Has anyone bought lenses from these "gray" markets?

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

I'd think twice about the mail-in rebate.

EBH

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:27 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

I would read the fine print on the rebate, as some rebates are country or region specific.

I've not bought a lens from S. Korea but I have bought support equipment; a ballhead and some other components. No problems whatsoever.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:37 AM
CAlbertson
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

hulk2006 wrote:
A lens I'm looking to purchase is $200 cheaper because it's from South Korea rather than Amazon....

Sometime the warranty applies only to the country or region where the product was bought. So ask about the warranty. Worst case is you'd have to mail it back to Korea for repair but that is not much different from making it across the US.

Why is is cheaper. taxes, import duty, and just the cost of doing business in one place vs. another. Competition too.

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:35 PM
hulk2006
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

Ok, thanks for the replies.

The lens I am talking about here is the new Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC. How hard would it be to return or exchange the lens if bought from South Korea? I am worried about "onions" in the bokeh so if the first copy isn't great I'll like to return it for another copy.

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:34 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

is it gray market, or are you actually buying it from a korean vendor?
who is the mail in rebate from? the vendor or tamron? I would read up on the details on the rebate.
in the end, it is made the same as any other tamron- just as likely or unlikely to give you problems long term. You decide if it's worth the potential problems down the road, and the FACT that if you're honest when it comes time to sell it (you eventually will haha), most buyers on here aren't going to want to buy a non-US market item.

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:39 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buying a Lens From South Korea?

Be very careful about the rebate. You may very well NOT qualify for it. All things equal, I would rather deal with Amazon than an unknown in S. Korea.

Aug 02, 2013 at 03:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.