Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

MaxBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

My old NEX7 is getting worn out. Or maybe I am waiting for Sony to get on with it.

NEX7n or whatever - October 2013

NEX FF 2014 unknown

How many months off is Sony Alpha Rumors on average? My estimate is 6-8.

We were supposed to see the new NEX7 in first 2 weeks of May 2013 originally.

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:08 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

It's very hot today and I have to walk all the way to my kitchen to refill my water bottle.

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:25 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

freaklikeme wrote:
It's very hot today and I have to walk all the way to my kitchen to refill my water bottle.

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:28 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

corposant wrote:
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

I can't breath so good and it's making me sleepy.

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

So a general lack of interest in the NEX FF...?

Same here I guess. I might move from my current GH2 to the OM-D just for the continuous drive speed but other than that no cameras currently interest me much. The D800 a little and that 75mpx Canon is developing might be interesting though. But only "interesting". I'm hot for speed!

I want 1/16,000s shutter speeds (and higher!). Has there been any R&D on that - and if not why not? We're still all at 1/8,000s and my GH2 only does 1/4,000 (I think the GH3 too?).

I want continuous drive modes capable of 12 to 24 FPS at full size RAW. This is totally doable with current tech but such specs (normally) consume a lot of power and with all the hoopla over small compact designs... err, yuck! Where are the R&D announcements on this? Or have photogs in general become so diluted that camera features which used to sell cameras back in the film days, no longer does?

I wouldn't mind having 4K video acquisition formats in a mirrorless.

I want wireless built in for both file transfer and also machine control. Where are the mirrorless cameras with that built in?

Oh well, lots of stuff I want - guess I'll never get it... It seems like the direction mirrorless designs are going is well, not interesting (to me).

A year or two ago a few folks were making a whole lotta noise about FF mirrorless. Have these people evaporated, are they just content with the current cameras, or do they now think it causes too many problems? The added DR a FF might bring sounds good in discussions but how important is that - really - and to how many?

Edited on Jul 30, 2013 at 07:41 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:26 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Bifurcator wrote:

See this thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1225753

Rich

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:39 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

I'm in a similar boat with where to go.

I got the RX1 and its fantastic. It's everything the reviews and people say that it is regarding the IQ. The talent of the people who post in the RX1 image thread makes it worth checking that thread multiple times a day just to see the latest additions. I knew going in of the compromises that I would have to make. I knew of the fixed focal length, the fixed lens, no built in EVF, no tilt screen, etc. But I wanted to experience the IQ. And boy did I.

But after the honeymoon period wore on, the compromises that I made were starting to seem too much. I started to yearn for a wider shot or to get closer. Sure I could crop, so I did. Then I started to miss the tilt screen my 6 had. Then the EVF.

Then I did some research on the Metabones Speed Booster. That lead to research on legacy glass. That lead to me getting the 7. Why the 7 and not the 6 again? Guess I wanted to give the tri navi a try. The 7 was the first camera that I was going to get last year. But for some reason I didn't. Maybe it was because I read a rumor on SAR that a replacement was coming within 6 months. But I got a great deal on these B&S and decided that even if the 7 replacement was coming in a few months that I wouldn't take a huge hit reselling it as if I had bought it new in box from Amazon over $1.248 new now, I got it for $500 less than that.

I have a fear that the 7 replacement isn't coming. That it the 7 replacement = FF-NEX. That Sony realizes that the sub $500 mirrorless market is profitable for the P&S upgrades and those used to cell phone pictures (touch screen, wifi), but the $1,000+ market is dominated by the DSLR crowd. So instead of a midrange product they swing for the fences with a $2,500 product in the RX1 and have a moderate level of success.

I'm hedging my bets now and not getting any more native E-mount lenses. I have the 18-55 kit, the 10-18 wide, and considering the 20 pancake. I'm loading up on legacy glass. So if the 7 replacement comes, im set with adapters and lens. If the FF-NEX is my only option I'm set there.

If the ff-NEX and Zeiss glass costs as much as we think (probably $5k + for the body and 2 primes), I'll have to go body first, use legacy glass, and then slowly add the Zeiss in.

I know that if both come out, I'll be at the same crossroads again, but hopefully at that point I'll have won the powerball or something where I can afford the 2 systems, or at least to go all in with the FF.

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:48 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

I am only buying Nikon FF glass, if Sony doesn't come out with something, I might go struggle with the 800e.

I need live view and EVF though.

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:11 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

'I'm in a similar boat with where to go.'

Two different cameras - NEX7 replacement (APS-C) and the FF-NEX. Both are very interesting to many.

I want to hear what the sneaky Sony lot have up their sleeves on the RX(n) front. That is my favourite 'boat', and I know exactly where I want to go row it ;-)

Max, Sony is a company that is hyperactive regarding new cameras, new systems, new sensors.

If it's stability you want, stick with good ole Nikon who are doing a pretty good job. The new Sonys are small cameras not at all suitable for heavyweight Nikkors.

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:35 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Seems like the ff might make it for Xmas if the Thai rivers don't intervene.

The 240 still is not here. When was it announced?

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:27 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

MaxBerlin wrote:
My old NEX7 is getting worn out. Or maybe I am waiting for Sony to get on with it.

NEX7n or whatever - October 2013

Should be interesting.

NEX FF 2014 unknown

I think the schedule has been accelerated to this fall.

How many months off is Sony Alpha Rumors on average? My estimate is 6-8.

SAR has actually been very accurate. NEX 5T is also coming.

We were supposed to see the new NEX7 in first 2 weeks of May 2013 originally.

True, to July, but was postponed again till fall, Sony delayed things for some reason, production issues? Design change? Only they know.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

NEX 7 replacement is definitely coming IMHO. It must be, because Zeiss just committed to a line of Touit lenses for high-end mirrorless (Sony and Fuji). Considering Zeiss' relationship with Sony, and the fact that Fuji primes are going to give Touit a less wide berth than Sony's, it is obvious that Zeiss wouldn't have committed the resources for Touit unless they seriously believed in the future of up-market APS-C NEX.
Besides which, NEX 7 got off to a bad start, when, after tremendous pre-market buzz, its launch was delayed for many months by the Thai floods. That, and questionable performance with third-party wides, and a dearth of good native lenses, lead it to a less sucessful sales history than it might have had. Launching a sucessor gives Sony another chance because it will be, again, the highest-specced mirrorless camera when announced. A surefire way to attract attention.
Except if it is less impressive than the present one, not a very likely occurrence, I will definitely buy one. Which doesn't mean I won't look at the NEX FF. But I don't believe in the FF's performance with third-party M-mount wides, so it will be a time for hard choices, if I have to give up my beloved Leica Elmar 24mm and even my Summilux 50

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:03 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Why would you have to give them up? These IQ issues won't last forever.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:02 AM
H.Lux
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Another vote here for NEX 7 APS-C successor. Philber already pointed out that performance with third party wides is important for many of us. But also the compactness of these lenses.
And: I have another camera with big sensor.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

I am excited about FF NEX, me.
Reckon I will get it after I see its sensor performance. Meanwhile take advantage of getting some Contax G lenses in preparation..

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:04 AM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

SAR just posted, the first Zeiss prime for the NEX-FF will be a 35mm f2,8. They did not repeat whether it will be AF but I guess that is a given.

But the RX-1 does exist, which is a 35mm F2.
Well, I guess this is just not for me...

@Krosavcheg:

I'd rather wait if the Contax G lenses are really up to the task. In my observation with the Nex-7 they are good, but not that good, specially wide open (F2 or F2,8) they tend to be a bit softer.

Bernie

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:38 AM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Bifurcator wrote:

I want 1/16,000s shutter speeds (and higher!). Has there been any R&D on that - and if not why not? We're still all at 1/8,000s and my GH2 only does 1/4,000 (I think the GH3 too?).

I want continuous drive modes capable of 12 to 24 FPS at full size RAW. This is totally doable with current tech but such specs (normally) consume a lot of power and with all the hoopla over small compact designs... err, yuck! Where are the R&D announcements on this? Or have photogs in general become so
...Show more

I want to get rid of the focal plane shutter. in the 1980's i worked on a technology that totally darkened a pilot's visor in a billionth of a second so when they dropped a nuclear bomb it wouldn't blind them. if wikileaks published this we'd all have very fast shutters that would flash sync at any speed even 1/1000000000s. in the 80's the capacitor in the helmet necessary for this tech was quite large, so was the power necessary so more great battery tech.
i too want wireless control & file transfer that is robust.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:23 AM
theophilus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Yeah, I think battery technology is actually what is holding a lot of this stuff back. The slowness in battery breakthroughs is one of the most disappointing engineering failures of the past 15 years.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:30 AM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

maxxum 9 had 1/12,000 sec max shutter speed. i wish there was iso 50, 25 & 12 on every body.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · NEX FF isn't coming soon. Will many buy the new NEX7 or just wait?

Bifurcator wrote:

What do you shoot that would necessitate a 1/16000s shutter speed? 1/8000 is good enough for f/1.4 in bright sunlight (and frankly, with the E-P5/OM-D sensor, it's good enough for f/1 in bright daylight, since highlight data can be pulled that far back....I've shot at f/1.4 and 1/4000 in noon-day sun and all the data is there on my OM-D).

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.