New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

Next39
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

If it performs like their 35 1.4, I'm extremely interested. I'm not the biggest fan of zooms, but this could be something special.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

SSISteve wrote:
A prime will zoom. You just have to use your feet.

Ok so for those of you that are taking this comment literal...get a life!

This was/is a tongue and cheek comment.

I have heard from many a photographer about the ability of using "foot zoom" to get closer or further away from your subject using a less expensive option of lens instead of investing in a more expensive option.

OK now to what I really wanted to write about.

Sigma is making some great products lately because they have been trashed previously by many a photographer about two main things Sigma was known for...

Quality control problems along with their "marginal" products they produced.

This in turn made photographers like myself pass over thinking about purchasing their products which is money going somewhere else instead of into their quarterly and yearly profits.

All that has changed for me personally over the last year or so...

I have owned different lenses from them including the 50mm f/1.4 (which I sold) and now the 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 versions. Honestly the 35mm is sharpest lens I own besides my Nikon 200mm f/2. My 85mm is no slouch either, it's sharp but I did purchase it because of cost and it works wonderfully for what ever I have needed it for. I foresee them upgrading that lens also just like everything else they have decided to upgrade and it wouldn't surprise me if they make a f/1.2 version instead.

Sigma has stepped it up BIG TIME.

So much that I'm not the only one that is waiting for their next lens to come out either if it's an upgrade to any of their already produced models or all new lenses that haven't been made yet.

If Sigma keeps producing superior lenses and products along side of those lenses to help fine tune them (USB dock), the big boys are going to need to take notice or they will go the ways of Gimbles, Kmart, and any other company that decided not to watch what the competition was doing and just sat back and got complacent while they puffed on their cigars.

Whoever it was at Sigma that decided to make these changes to not only improve their repair service, (God I can't tell you how many times I felt I was calling "Peggy" from the Capitol one commercials when I had a repair), along with improving the overall quality of their line of lenses. They should be given huge raises if they haven't already.

I don't think Nikon and Canon need to watch out I think they just need to take notice (If they haven't already) because other companies like Tokina, Tamron, and even Rokinon are making products that are less expensive and just as good (if not better).

The two big boys aren't going to go away and they will make plenty of products for whatever level of photographer will invest in gear.

Sigma has me anxiously looking towards the future. If they produce a 24-70mm f/2 lens and it's just as good if not better than my 35mm f/1.4 they will have my money flowing their direction and I will sell my 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikon version.

Ross

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:58 PM
ocir
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

I've sold all my Nikon lenses and switched to Sigma lenses recently. If the 24-70 f/2 goes in production and performs as good as their recent lens line up, then I'm sold! DXOMark already rates their new 18-35 1.8 for DX a lot better than any of the Nikon and Canon primes so there's no reason why the 24-70 f/2 would be disappointing.

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:10 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

Sigma zooms in the past have totally sucked, beyond awful. Their current 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM is awful, totally soft in the corners and eddges from f4-2.8. I tried to go this route for my 2nd shooters set up to save some cash over the Nikon version. Tried two copies sent both back and bought another Nikon.

Edited on Aug 02, 2013 at 08:28 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

Crossczechfoto wrote:
Ok so for those of you that are taking this comment literal...get a life!

This was/is a tongue and cheek comment.

Sounds like the kind of comment that might inspire some people to glue your tongue into your cheek. :-p

Arka C.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:34 PM
dilla712

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

MRomine wrote:
Sigma zooms in the past have totally sucked, beyond awful. Their current 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM is awful, totally soft in the corners and eddges from f4-2.8. I tried to go this route for my 2nd shooters set up to save some cash over the Nikon versionl. Tried two copies sent both back and bought another Nikon.

in the past: So does this mean you've sworn them off for good, or, should this rumor be true, would you give them a look? The inconsistent QA of past generations of Sigma offerings has been well-documented.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

It appears that a few years ago Sigma seems to have figured out that if they continued producing cheap knock offs, they would only be competing with Vivtar and Phoenix etc. It was a low volume, low profit game. By upping their quality and producing innovative rather than replicative lenses, they are elbowing their way to the front of the pack. It reminds me of Nikon in the very eraly 1960s coming out with the first popular and affordable zoom lenses such as the 85-250mm and 43-86mm.

Kent in SD

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:05 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

dilla712 wrote:
in the past: So does this mean you've sworn them off for good, or, should this rumor be true, would you give them a look? The inconsistent QA of past generations of Sigma offerings has been well-documented.

The lens that I'm referring to is their current 24-70 f2.8 offering. Not an old model from yester year. I tried two new copies shortly after it was released roughly 3.5 years. I hadn't tried any Sigma zoom lenses in twenty years because of how bad they were years ago. It was a gamble and I should have known better. If this rumor is true I can assure you that I will not be first in line. I will let others be the 'guinea pigs' and wait to read their reports. If the lens gets rave reviews like their current 35 f1.4 then I will seriously consider looking in to it.

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:35 PM
bgbs
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

Well, the Nikon 24-70mm lens weights more than Sigma 18-35mm lens by 4 ounces. This means that the Sigma 24-70mm f/2 is going to be around same weight as Nikon f2.8

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:03 AM
bgbs
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 in 2014

MRomine wrote:
The lens that I'm referring to is their current 24-70 f2.8 offering. Not an old model from yester year. I tried two new copies shortly after it was released roughly 3.5 years. I hadn't tried any Sigma zoom lenses in twenty years because of how bad they were years ago. It was a gamble and I should have known better. If this rumor is true I can assure you that I will not be first in line. I will let others be the 'guinea pigs' and wait to read their reports. If the lens gets rave reviews like their current
...Show more

I kind of agree. I've had nothing but love/hate relationship with Sigma 24-70mm f2.8. Focus was kind of unreliable, and kind of slow, and I never shot wide open with it, always stopped it down to at least f3.2 to get it reasonably sharp. But the lens did produce great IQ from F4 on.

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.