Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Canon 1D III, 1Ds III and 1D IV new firmware released!

kdlanejr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Canon 1D III, 1Ds III and 1D IV new firmware released!

Tom Robinson wrote:
Ken,
Thanks for responding. I'm using EDD too and never tried to shoot to a hot folder. I'll check my version of Canons EOS Utility tonight and give that a try. Much appreciated!
Tom

The latest version of the utility is 2.13.21.0 (from the MkIV download site)

Sep 03, 2013 at 07:17 PM
melcat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Canon 1D III, 1Ds III and 1D IV new firmware released!

I just want to confirm that Firmware Version 1.2.3 for the 1Ds Mk III does in fact fix a battery discharge problem as described. I believe that problem was actually introduced in version 1.2.2.

Prior to 1.2.2 the battery would discharge at ~1% per day if left in the camera without a lens attached. After the 1.2.2 update, I was seeing between 2% and 3%. After 1.2.3 I am seeing certainly less than 1%. While I could easily track discharge with 1.2.2 because there happened to be almost a week when I didn't use the camera, that hasn't been the case with 1.2.2, so it could be around 1% or much less. Whichever, the high discharge bug starting with 1.2.2 is not only gone, but the standby performance is better than the camera has ever been.

3% might not sound like much, but it's enough to lose a substantial amount of battery capacity on a 2 week trip, especially on a second body, and the charger is bulky for travel.

I have seen "Cannot communicate with battery" once with this new firmware. I can't tell if that was a transient contact problem as is widely believed to be the cause of this on many Canon bodies, or a new bug, but it was quickly cleared by removing and reinserting the battery and has not recurred.

(The batteries used are known to be genuine Canon. They came with the bodies, which I bought from an authorised dealer I had used for 15 years, hand delivered to me and stated to be unopened from Canon Australia, as indeed they clearly were).

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:39 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password