FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Church lady woes

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Church lady woes

DennisLarkin wrote:
I've worked with a couple photographers that will actually take people like her aside and not so nicely explain that they've been hired to do a job, much like the minister has and to stay out of the photographer's way.

I don't think that would go over too well in my neck of the woods. Could get you banned.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:50 AM
madmen
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Church lady woes

This is my opinion as others said, confronting her afterwards will get nothing accomplished. If you shoot that location in the future I would at that point establish some sort of language with her but no point to go back to her.

She should probably get a shirt that fits :P

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:07 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Church lady woes

morby wrote:
She doesn't look anything like Dana Carvey

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Theographics
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Church lady woes

I've had the same experience. An old woman hissing at me to move throughout the ceremony, and then tugged on the back of my shirt AS THE COUPLE WAS COMING DOWN THE AISLE. Then gave us no more than 5 minutes to take family formals before rushing us out the door. Took quite a bit for me to restrain my emotions on that wedding. The mother of the bride ended up giving the woman a piece of her mind after the ceremony which made me feel much better.

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:05 PM
DennisLarkin

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Church lady woes

D. Diggler wrote:
I don't think that would go over too well in my neck of the woods. Could get you banned.

I've never heard of anyone being banned from a church around here, not to say it doesn't happen...

When I first heard the stories I thought they were exaggerated but when I heard them from someone that was actually there when it happened I was blown away.

Aug 02, 2013 at 06:56 AM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Church lady woes

Here is Chicago, there are several co-ordinators from hell.
Many associated with the church, a couple are wedding planners.
The problem, with the church coordinators is that many of the more significant churches have approved photographer lists. If you piss off the coordinator you're done at that church.

At least here, we've learned how to deal with the more controlling coordinators from repeated run-ins. :-)

My personal worst experience was a Protestent officiant that informed us, two photographers and a videographer, that we had better be were we wanted to be when the bride and her dad reached the front of the church because we couldn't move once they were there.

The opposite happened on a New Years eve. Catholic priest friend of the family from out of town was doing the service. He said, " I think you should be up here (the alter) during the vows" The local priest just about died when I went up onto the alter and hid behind the podium. :-)

It cuts both ways. :-)

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:54 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Church lady woes

This subject has been addressed several times. Do a search if you wish.

Some suggestions from those comments, as best I remember them . . . .

Talk with the officiant prior to the wedding to discover the policies regarding wedding photos. Yes, the photographer is there to record the images, but they do need to fit with the policies of the church.

Restrictive rules are often caused by other photographers' upsetting behavior at previous weddings. Church staff members are required to follow the policies of the church; if they don't, they don't keep their job.

Remember that the wedding is not staged just so a photographer cant take certain images. It's an important ceremony to the bride and groom, and to their families. The photographer should not be a distraction.

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Church lady woes

GCasey wrote:
Talk with the officiant prior to the wedding to discover the policies regarding wedding photos. Yes, the photographer is there to record the images, but they do need to fit with the policies of the church.

The biggest issue is that the staff often invent their own rules on the fly that differ to what was agreed/is written down. A bit like security guards on a power trip that don't know the law.

Aug 03, 2013 at 08:16 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Church lady woes

GCasey wrote:

Restrictive rules are often caused by other photographers' upsetting behavior at previous weddings. Church staff members are required to follow the policies of the church; if they don't, they don't keep their job.

Remember that the wedding is not staged just so a photographer cant take certain images. It's an important ceremony to the bride and groom, and to their families. The photographer should not
...Show more

I did all that. I even had a copy of their policy. Nowhere did it say "photographer shall not occupy the isle during the processional".

I always treat the ceremony as a religious/important event and do my best to not be obtrusive.

But sometimes church ladies are just gonna church.

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.