Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Gonzo4Hire

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

QUESTION FOR ANY PHOTOGRPAHERS FROM QUEBEC

I’m planning on visiting Montreal for about a week during the Christmas season and I was really looking forward to getting in some travel and street photography. This will be my first trip to Canada. When I starting doing some research, however, I discovered that Quebec has some very strange laws regarding photography. Best I can tell, it appears that street photography is illegal?!? Am I misinterpreting what I’m reading? I hate the thought of visiting what I expect to be a beautiful and historic city (hopefully awash in Christmas) and leaving my camera at home. I was not planning on running around waving a big DSLR in the air, just carrying my mirrorless. Should I expect to run into problems? Can I just play the “tourist” card?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

MODERATORS: If I placed this question in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies and move as needed.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Karlchen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

I am not from Québec, but I have visited there several times with an SLR camera, including Montréal and Québec City, on the street, inside various buildings such as city hall, churches, and the like. Never had a problem, but if in doubt ask (as I did in Montréal city hall, with beautiful stained-glass windows in the council chamber). These are major tourist areas with lots of cameras. Inside the palatial Bank of Montréal, security doesn’t want you to take pictures of the staff. Sometimes distinctive people on the street (Haredi Jews, for example) may resent feeling like they are being targeted by those with cameras, so be discreet, or just leave them alone. Old Town Montréal is very photogenic, but if you get a chance to visit Québec City--do it!

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Gonzo4Hire

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Thank you, Karichen. That reassures me. I am very much looking forward to our trip.
Gonzo

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:48 AM
elio1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

What karichen said!

I'm from Montreal and you can take photos of pretty much everything. When you start going into churches, Museums, Etc. thats when you might be told by security to put it away.

But other then that go crazy! Especially in the Old port. Its beautiful all year round haha

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Gonzo4Hire

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Thank you, Elio1. I am relieved to hear that. Churches, museums, government buildings...these are places where there are restrictions around the world, so I expec that. I had just read some issues about not being able to take photographs in the street. I'm very excited about the trip. Thank you again.
Gonzo

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Karlchen
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

You can take pictures inside Notre Dame Cathedral (even with flash), St. Joseph’s Oratory, and other churches and government buildings. But it will depend on on the church and government building. The main concern in government buildings, I believe, is the privacy of staff. With museums, it depends on the museum and the exhibit. Some exhibits may be open to photographers, others not. It often depends on what arrangements have been made between the museum and the sponsor of the exhibit. I think you are going to have a blast. Happy travels!

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Gonzo,

What matters is what you do with the image that counts, not taking the picture per se.

Very few laws in Canada or Quebec actually make it "Illegal" to take a picture; its either what you're doing i.e. trespassing, voyeurism, impeding traffic while you're taking the picture, or what you do with the image afterwards i.e. publishing, copyright, invasion of privacy.

Here is a good site: http://ambientlight.ca/laws/

You'll have a great time...just hope for snow.

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Gonzo4Hire

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Thank you for all of the responses and information. Now the hard part: Deciding whether to stay in Montreal or Quebec City.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Gonzo4Hire wrote:
Thank you for all of the responses and information. Now the hard part: Deciding whether to stay in Montreal or Quebec City.

If you're up for a week I'd do both, say two to three days in Quebec and the remainder in Montreal. While Quebec (1608) is the older than Montreal (1642), the former is "quainter" but more compact than the latter. Outside of the old city center Quebec gets "modern" (i.e. 1900's) pretty quickly. Montreal is more spread out and generally has more to see.

The cities are two hours apart (ignoring morning and evening traffic jams) with two different, rather boring highways. Expect longer times with inclement weather. There are hundreds of small country towns and villages all over the place (named after more saints than the Vatican knows about). If you only do Montreal you don't really need a car (parking in the City is challenging...especially if it snows; its probably quicker to use the bus/subway/cab)

Its colder in Quebec (usually 5 Celsius) so they get snow a little earlier and generally more of it than we do in Montreal. But there's no guarantee you'll see snow...I've seen many green Christmases and/or New Years here.

The are a gazillion things to shoot in both cities, go to Google Earth and look at the pictures people have posted as well as street view. There's the old city, the newer downtown, the mountain, the older neighborhoods with their dizzying outside staircases, and numerous other sights. Contrary to most U.S. cities, Montreal, Quebec (and generally most Canadian cities) people actually live in the downtown areas so there are no abandoned or dead zones with only a few tourists walking around. We live in our city cores and as a result they are vibrant and full of life. (Think San Francisco, New York, New Orleans). Its also quite safe throughout the city (we don't carry guns :cool.

So there's my 2 bits. Keep researching and hope you have a good time.
CT

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Soroboto

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Montreal is very lax, unless someone has a reason to complain about you directly to the police, you'll be fine. Even so, most of the laws are very very lenient. Montreal is a very photogenic place with lots of eclectic and "weird" people that make for wonderful street photography.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:05 AM
Soroboto

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Let me know if you need recommendations for neighborhoods to visit.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:06 AM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Been there many times the last few years, and never had a problem, even though I almost always have my camera with me. Public spaces, cathedrals, etc.

Watch out for the ton of street art, from graffiti to murals.

Here's a few from Notre-Dame Basilica, and a couple of street art images.

Enjoy the trip!

© PK Photography 2014

© PK Photography 2014

© PK Photography 2014

© PK Photography 2014

© PK Photography 2014

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:36 PM
hrogersiii

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Hi....
I hope this response is still timely to be of use to you.
I just returned from a business trip to Montreal and was looking for a photographer who could take me around to some of the sights where I could capture some iconic images.

I contacted Ricky Friedlander and had an absolutely great time! He and a partner, James St. Laurent were simply fantastic. They picked me up at my hotel in the old town and took me out at first light. We visited many of their favorite spots and also went to the Soho artist district for a wood oven baked bagel and coffee.

I would recommend these guys very highly.

They can be contacted at www.friedlanderphotography.com and www.jamesstlaurent.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Harry Rogers

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Second photo is really nice and all other follow.

Apr 14, 2014 at 08:48 PM
ejose

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Nice photos everyone

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM
ejose

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Nice photos everyone

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

The one (and only) time I have been to Montreal, I regrettedly did not bring my DSLR camera. I used my iPhone for the majority of the images I took, and never once was I told to by my camera phone away.

If photography was outlawed in Montreal, it would be very sad since it's such a wonderful and beautiful city.

-Nick

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM
studioplateau

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Hi Peter - love the 1st picture! symmetry, composition, colors etc.

May 19, 2014 at 02:42 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Street/Travel Photography in Montreal?

Thanks Studioplateau!

May 20, 2014 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.