New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

tonytastic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

Hi,

I currently have a few flashes and the elinchrom skyports; when shooting weddings, I like to have a few flashes as kickers but still have my flash on camera for bounce with ETTL. I know Yongnuo has ETTL passthrough and will do exactly what i'm looking for but I was wondering if anyone has experimented with a reliable method to achieve this.

I've tried a PC Sync to hotshoe adaptor but it is flimsy (though works most but fails at times).

Thanks!
Tony

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

Have you tried putting your ETTL Speedlite in the hot shoe, and plugging the Skyport transmitter into the camera's PC socket?

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

I don't think what you want to do is possible at least not ettl or ittl anyway. You could trigger an extra Canon flash with a Universal Skyport on Manual.

Jul 29, 2013 at 04:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

Gregg Heckler wrote:
I don't think what you want to do is possible at least not ettl or ittl anyway.

Why wouldn't it be?

Jul 29, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

Well I'm assuming he wants to trigger Elinchrom strobes and speed lights together as he has Elinchrom Skyports. Maybe he can qualify that for us? But you can't trigger an Elinchrom strobe and a speed light and get ettl or ittl with a Skyport. If you can let me know how. If it's all speed lights then the PW system is great.

Jul 29, 2013 at 09:20 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

Gregg Heckler wrote:
...you can't trigger an Elinchrom strobe and a speed light and get ettl or ittl with a Skyport.

He said he wanted to trigger off-camera flash with the Skyports, and also use an ETTL flash on-camera. I'm pretty sure he can put the ETTL flash in the hot shoe and plug the Skyport transmitter into the camera's PC socket.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

BrianO wrote:
He said he wanted to trigger off-camera flash with the Skyports, and also use an ETTL flash on-camera. I'm pretty sure he can put the ETTL flash in the hot shoe and plug the Skyport transmitter into the camera's PC socket.

Hi,

This is correct, I have gotten it to work with a Pc sync -> Hot Shoe adaptor and using it with the Skyport Transmitter. However, its rather flimsy and falls off easily making it unreliable (I have a few PC sync -> Hot shoe adapters and its all the same). When it does work, it works rather wonderfully and does exactly what I want.

Is there a nice way to get the Skyport transmitter into the Camera's PC Socket?

Thanks!
Tony

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:44 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

tonytastic wrote:
...Is there a nice way to get the Skyport transmitter into the Camera's PC Socket?

Which transmitter do you have? I'm not sure, but I don't think the Transmitter Eco has a PC socket.

For the others, you need this:

http://www.adorama.com/EL11120.html

or a similar third-party version.

The hard part is what to do with the transmitter; you don't want to just leave it dangling from the cord, of course. You can use a Velcro strap to hold it on your flash, on a bracket, etc.; it just depends on your setup.

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:24 AM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

I totally missed the fact that the transmitter has a 2.5mm jack for input? wow.. I have the Transmitter SPEED. I think this will definitely be a bit more stable than the hotshoe adapters (which are absolutely horrible).

I did a quick search and it looks like:
http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0148/index.shtml

might be the solution; I'll have to experiment a bit with it to make sure it works.

Thanks!
Tony

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:55 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elinchroms and mix ETTL

tonytastic wrote:
...I have the Transmitter SPEED. ...I did a quick search and it looks like: http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0148/index.shtml might be the solution...

That one's nice because of the length and the screw-lock on the PC end. Also, Lon -- the owner of Flash Zebra -- is a good guy to work with; excellent customer service.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.