New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

Moderators, I think this is a landscape subject, but move it if you feel otherwise.

My rationale is as follows, like to hear other opinions and critique of my rationale noting that I will ignore matters of pure taste.

I print only for my own frames on my own walls. I have (2) 16x9 aspect ratio frames, (7) 3x2 and one 4x5. I print all of these at 16.5 inches on the narrow side and use mats that have 2.5 inch borders. The size is limited by my Epson 3800.

Frames are between $50 and $70 and mats at least $10 (I cut my own). I have not calculated my print costs, but (25) 24x36 sheets of Hahnemuhle photorag 308 is $203 which provide 50 sheets is only $8.12 per sheet and maybe $5 worth of ink. I have over 100 unframed large prints, many given away to my family. I don’t sell stuff. Note I just switched to Hahn from Red River which is even cheaper. But the frames drive the decision for aspect ratio.

I do only landscapes and have a very strong preference for horizontal over vertical. Some subjects like waterfalls of course work better in vertical.

Many verticals work at 3x2 but some need sky cropped off and work better at 4x5, hence my 4x5 frame. Many landscapes work better at 16x9, hence my two at that size. I could probably use more of this size, but they are very costly and I have limited room for these as the frames are 39 inches wide.

I don’t like square images at all and 4x5 is my limit for squarish aspects and then only for verticals never for horizontals.

I am not a huge fan of long thin panos, I find 16x9 about right.

I have mounted 16x9 aspect images with a wide bottom border in a 3x2 frame, but my wife thinks it looks unbalanced. I always try to keep even borders.

I have tried white mats and black narrow edge frames but it is far too modern looking for my taste. My frames are oak and my mats generally double matted with complementary colors to the image.

I have considered unframed systems but this does not fit our taste.

My prints look much better than any I have ever purchased from labs like Mpix so I never buy prints.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

Choose the aspect ratio that best frames your subject. Notice I said "Your" subject. Since we aren't there there's no sense in us giving advice on this.

<Chas>

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

You hit the dilemma here. If you buy the frame that fits the best artistic image size, you will soon have more money invested in frames than you do in camera and lenses.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

With Americanframe.com (possibly others) you can buy only what you need at the size you need to 1/16".

Their web page lets you upload a jpeg so you can compare a variety of frames and mattes.

It's easy and fast enough so that you can have the same basic image cropped any number of ways and be able to compare cropping / matte / frame combinations.

I buy onses, twoses from them and never have to inventory anything. Often when one prints 24 x 36, it's never exactly 36" long out of the printer and I can get exactly the length I need.

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

Some stores sell frames cut to specifications. Here is en example of what my local store does:

http://www.danielsmith.com/SubCategory--Wood-Frames--m-260

I use aluminum Nielsen frames. Assembly takes few minutes. I don't keep any inventory at home except for the mats that are cheaper if I get them in bulk.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

I buy my frames from "Frames by mail" cut to my exact size. Mostly because they are the only place I have found who have nice wide oak frames.

Size is not the issue, but once you have a full set of frames plus a few spares and the mats cut for them, do you just keep adding new sizes?

Besides that, I still don't like squarish aspect ratios or excessively long panos.

I have one black aluminum frame with a white matt 12x35 hidden in my basement because I don't like the antiseptic look of it.

Here is an example of how I frame and mat.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=790

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:57 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

... once you have a full set of frames plus a few spares and the mats cut for them, do you just keep adding new sizes?

I standardized on two outer sizes. Even for the only panorama I framed I used the same size and only changed the cutout. It was black frame and white mat and it looked balanced.

Here is an example of how I frame and mat.

Great work!

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

Mirek Elsner wrote:
I standardized on two outer sizes. Even for the only panorama I framed I used the same size and only changed the cutout. It was black frame and white mat and it looked balanced.

Great work!

Thanks, I would alter aspect by adjusting the mat but my wife objects and she gets at least half the vote

Yesterday I installed track lights with a halogen light for each image. I plan to eventually upgrade to LED lamps, but need to do some research and they cost about $25 per lamp and I will need 8 of them.

This lighting makes a world of difference to how my prints display. I should have done it before. I may even be able to use a bit more contrast when printing now.

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

Ben, if you're so inclined, it's not all that difficult to make a frame, if you have a few woodworking tools.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:46 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Image aspect ratios for landscapes

I let the image dictate its dimensions, not the frame or mat. If you are truly stuck with a certain set of frames, the. I would still mat the photo to suite the image and put it into your standard frames

Aug 04, 2013 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.