Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Private Track Day

pedwatt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Private Track Day

I got an invitation to an private track day from a friend of a friend with a Mclaren MP4 12C, As these are very rare in my area I accepted. Would appreciate feedback on these.

pedwatt 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    200mm    f/13.0    1/100s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

pedwatt 2013

2, Mclaren vs Miata

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF300mm f/4L IS USM lens    300mm    f/13.0    1/160s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

pedwatt 2013

Canon EOS 7D    EF300mm f/4L IS USM lens    300mm    f/4.0    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

pedwatt 2013

4, The owner's other car

Canon EOS 7D    EF300mm f/4L IS USM lens    300mm    f/14.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

pedwatt 2013

5, although it didn't fit in, it photographed well

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF300mm f/4L IS USM lens    300mm    f/4.5    1/2000s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Private Track Day

Just a thought... after a couple cold ones...

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:39 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Private Track Day

I like 'em but probably would have left #5 out.

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:48 AM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Private Track Day

1,2,4 - while the angular look works sometimes, I assume these weren't all taken on hills, I might stick with a flatter perspective even if that means rotating the image in post.

I really like 3 as is, though you might try a slower shutter speed even for front 3/4 shots (maybe 1/320-1/640, enough to get a little blur into the wheels without sacrificing much sharpness on the car). For the rest, consider the "rule of thirds" and loosen up the crops, grab more sky and "race track scenery" maybe. They're all cropped real tight and real "centered". Try and leave "somewhere to go" in your crops, typically I crop a race car to the 1/3rd point that leaves 2/3 above the horizon line and 2/3 from the center line of the car forward so the car has open road in front of it.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Private Track Day

those are rare cars anywhere...#5 shows a flat spot/chorded section!

Must be nice for your "other" car to be a prepped 911...rough life!

Jul 29, 2013 at 01:29 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Private Track Day

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Must be nice for your "other" car to be a prepped 911...rough life!

seriously !

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pedwatt

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Private Track Day

Thank you every one for you comments, 1 is at it's shot angle, 2 and 4 were rotated, I will reprocess flat when I get home tonight and post. This guy's daily driver is a 900+ hp Prosche Panamera and his wife drives a S65 AMG as daily. I will work on different compositions with more space in front when I am at the Grand Am race in Kansas City in coupl eof weeks. Great feedback guys/gals

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:13 PM
pedwatt

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Private Track Day

edits based on your comments

Straightened

His daily driver Porsche

Straightened

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:42 AM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Private Track Day

Lovin that first one now, lots of sky, tire barrier is visible enough to let you know it's on a track and he's got plenty of distance to race off into. Everything's subjective but I think that one really shines with the new edit.

One other thing you may want to experiment with is a good quality Circular Polarizer, you have to be careful because you can get weird "rainbow" effects on certain plastics and glasses laminated together with plastic, but they deepen colors and contrast and take a lot of the reflections off the cars which in some shots maybe distracts from the lines of the car itself. CPLs tend to make finer design details like the "cheek bulges" on the McClaren stand out more. With the reflections its easily mistaken for a detail in the reflection but it actually has a slight bump out on either side on the bumper. The other big benefit as long as the glass isn't the kind that has a rainbow effect is that you can frequently kill off that haziness of reflected light and really see the expressions on the drivers faces etc.

You definitely have the skill set to do this, it's just practice and honing your technique. I find that being super critical of myself and limiting myself to only a handful of images at each event really pushes my creativity as well as my skills. If you use something like lightroom you can easily look at meta data and find out what you're doing right or wrong. I often do things like challenge myself to shoot a round or certain time period of the day at an unusually low shutter speed or in some other way that will challenge my skills or just plain experiment with a technique. I then go back and filter down to just those photos to see on average how they compare to my more tried and true techniques.

Aug 02, 2013 at 02:01 AM
pedwatt

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Private Track Day

I have been reading a lot on Circular Polarizers and all road seem to lead back to "B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating" do you have any experience with this or a similar one, and if not which one would you reccommend?

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:24 PM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Private Track Day

The Kaesemann's are really nice, Heliopan's are also really good, as are high end Hoya's like the Pro1 and HD. I went with a used Pro1 for my 70-200 f4 and have been pleased with it's performance. It wasn't too bad at 40 bucks used. There are other decent brands but you have to be careful as some of them offer real low end solutions, or trade on a good name but don't really have a good product in this day and age. The biggest things with CPLs are color cast, light absorption and multicoating to prevent flare. Cheap ones will have bad coatings, be really dark or change the light color to a blue or purplish hue to some degree.

Aug 02, 2013 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password