Jul 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
mrkyle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Friends Dodge Charger

BenV wrote:
Critique always welcomed

Hi Ben,

Here are my thoughts on the images. I like number one.

Number two IMO need a little work. I hope you don't mind but I D/L and modified your image to help illustrate my points. Here is my modified version.

842148ce by mrkyle229, on Flickr

#1 I think that the car is a bit lost in the original so I cropped it down a little. I also eliminated some of the distracting objects in the background (sign posts and blue garbage can).

#2 I did a little curves work on it to help make the car pop a bit more. The dark car is competing with the bright sky. I put a little graduated ND filter on the sky to tone it down a tad. Our eyes tend to gravitate to the bright spots first.

#3 I think it would help if you used a polarizing filter to eliminate some or all of the reflections. The asphalt reflecting in the lower panels of the car makes it look funny (noisy) to me.

#4 Perhaps the same type of 3/4 shot but from the front instead of the back would be better. Maybe try shooting from the rear at dusk with the running lights on so the tail is nicely lit with those large lights

I'm certainly no expert on car photography just offering some thoughts on what would make the image better for me. YMMV.

Matt

Jul 29, 2013 at 04:58 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Friends Dodge Charger

mrkyle wrote:
Hi Ben,

Here are my thoughts on the images. I like number one.

Number two IMO need a little work. I hope you don't mind but I D/L and modified your image to help illustrate my points. Here is my modified version.

#1 I think that the car is a bit lost in the original so I cropped it down a little. I also eliminated some of the distracting objects in the background (sign posts and blue garbage can).

#2 I did a little curves work on it to help make the car pop a bit more. The dark car is competing
...Show more

I don't mind at all, all critique is welcomed. For #2, maybe I'll retry the photoshopping and see how it looks. #3 I'll definitely have to pick up a polarizer for any future projects. This was my semi-first attempt at a car photo shoot. A friend called me up, said he bought a new car and if I could take some photos for him. 10 minutes later, we're shooting. I think reducing/eliminating the reflections would really help as well. I was having some trouble getting detail in the dark black. #4 the lights were on, I guess due to the scene and colors its hard to tell. My friend specifically asked for a photo of the back, he loves the lights.

Thanks for your input, its definitely worth putting some thought into!

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
mrkyle
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Friends Dodge Charger

Ben,

I'm surprised that a few more folks have not chimed in here. I have seen these cars at night and they do have some pretty cool taillights.

"My friend specifically asked for a photo of the back, he loves the lights."

That would be a very good reason to wait until the daylight is fading enough to allow for a more balanced exposure that would let the lights to really pop off the page. The down side is that you have a black car so it might be hard to get just the right balance. Maybe some "Golden Hour" light hitting the car broadside?

Good Luck

Matt

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.