New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

During the photography outing today shooting some "still" birds , my 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII image stabilization (IS) would occasionally make a rattling noise on IS startup as well as on IS shutdown.
Instead of a silent/brief "click", the IS rattles, and much more loudly so than the normal clicking noise. The problem was intermittent in nature, and even when the rattle happened, the lens appeared to continue to function properly, and no effect on picture taking. The camera used was 40D.

When I got home, I tried to recreate the phenomenon on my other cameras, but to no avail. In fact, I can not make it rattle even on 40D now.

Either way, that rattle is not a good sign, and I am sure the IS assembly is on the way out, which is a real shame in the case of an expensive and hardly used lens such as my 70-200 f/2.8 IS MKII.
Naturally, the lens warranty had long expired, and IS replacement is an expensive proposition even with the CPS discount.

Has anyone experienced a similar IS problem with their 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII ?

Edited on Jul 28, 2013 at 07:23 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

Peter , I'll offer your the straight swap with my pipe again . You won't have the worry about its IS crapping out on you

Seriously , could it have been a bad connection between body and lens?

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Peter , I'll offer your the straight swap with my pipe again . You won't have the worry about its IS crapping out on you

Seriously , could it have been a bad connection between body and lens?

Ian, that is quite possible......I am still trying to recreate it.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

Unfortunately, I believe the 70-200 2.8 IS II is not exactly a very reliable lens.
At least according to Roger at lensrentals.

Let's hope it's just a bad connection between body and lens.
Keep us updated.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
shooter00

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

fraga wrote:
Unfortunately, I believe the 70-200 2.8 IS II is not exactly a very reliable lens.
At least according to Roger at lensrentals.

Let's hope it's just a bad connection between body and lens.
Keep us updated.

Got any links on Roger talking about the problems with the 70-200 2.8 IS II ?

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

shooter00 wrote:
Got any links on Roger talking about the problems with the 70-200 2.8 IS II ?

Curious too...

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:28 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

I am in a hurry (busy right now) but after a (very) quick search I found this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

I don't recall if this was his last update (probably not, since it's already an one year old article), later tonight I will search better.

Heres a quote:
"The Canon 70-200 IS II has problems with the nylon reverse gears in the zoom ring and its IS unit."

And another one:
"Similarly the Canon 70-200 fails for a couple of different reasons, but jammed zoom rings are common and caused by a tooth breaking on the nylon ‘reversing’ gear under the zoom ring. this is a good system – it was used in the Non IS and IS Mk I lenses – but it seems to have some problems with the Mk II. Whether that’s a bad batch of gears or that there’s more resistance in turning the new lens I have no clue. Either way I expect it will be fixed soon."

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:42 PM
shooter00

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

fraga wrote:
I am in a hurry (busy right now) but after a (very) quick search I found this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

I don't recall if this was his last update (probably not, since it's already an one year old article), later tonight I will search better.

Heres a quote:
"The Canon 70-200 IS II has problems with the nylon reverse gears in the zoom ring and its IS unit."

And another one:
"Similarly the Canon 70-200 fails for a couple of different reasons, but jammed zoom rings are common and caused by a tooth breaking on the nylon ‘reversing’ gear under the zoom ring. this is a good system
...Show more

Need to also note his comment:

"Finally, the usual ‘don’t read this and lose your mind‘ call goes out: These are heavily used, frequently shipped lenses. A given lens would have a far lower repair rate owned by someone who uses it on weekends, takes good care of it, and doesn’t ship it around the country."

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Bmetcan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

Deleted

Edited on Jul 28, 2013 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:12 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

I'm working on the 2013 numbers now -- it's a pretty time consuming undertaking. I have 2,400 repairs to go through. I hope to be done in a week or so, but truly it's about 60 hours work to get all this sorted out.

I will say the 70-200 IS II is going to make the list again - just like the Nikon 70-200 VR II. Those are complex lenses with an incredibly complex layout inside.

I'll try to do the 70-200 IS II next - I'll admit I've been avoiding it because it's the largest number of copies.

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:33 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

Here's some preliminary numbers - I have some more hand checking to do on these, but should give an idea. The number is average rental weeks until failure.

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II 37
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 NON IS 51

Canon 70-200 f/4 IS 36
Canon 70-200 f/4 non is 53

Kind of goes along with logic: more electronic stuff in a lens also means more stuff that can fail. The number of IS failures isn't the entire difference, but it's a significant part of it.

To give a bit of perspective, though, an old faithful, like a prime lens goes well over 100 weeks before failure on average and the most reliable lenses over 150.

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:42 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

Great data thanks Roger, very handy!
37 rental weeks to failure for the 70-200 2.8 IS II is a lot worse than last year when they were newer, quite a worry

Edited on Jul 28, 2013 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:10 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

A case of IS failing in 400 DO....I got hit with that repair twice on the same 400 DO lens, no warranty either.

The first time Sun Camera in Toronto replaced the IS unit, two years later Canon replaced the IS unit again. Each time the bill was close to $650 (including sales tax).

I am pretty sure I was procreated with on that one, I just can't tell which party is the father, Sun Camera or Canon....that would make a paternity suit kinda difficult.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:18 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

I've noticed mine makes a fair amount of noise if it's pointed more up and down(vertically) like I would be taking a picture of something on the ground for example. It might be something in the sensors or actuators in not knowing how to move the stabilization assymbly. Then when I turn the lens to more of a horizontal orientation, it's fine.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

RCicala wrote:
Here's some preliminary numbers - I have some more hand checking to do on these, but should give an idea. The number is average rental weeks until failure.

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II 37
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 NON IS 51

Canon 70-200 f/4 IS 36
Canon 70-200 f/4 non is 53

Kind of goes along with logic: more electronic stuff in a lens also means more stuff that can fail. The number of IS failures isn't the entire difference, but it's a significant part of it.

To give a bit of perspective, though, an old faithful, like a prime lens goes well
...Show more

As you've said I think it is important to keep in mind, that in many cases, these rates are FAR higher than the average user would experience. I've only had a single lens fail on me ever the good old 50 1.4 (more than once). And that actually happens to be very nearly the only lens I know that has broken for anyone I personally know.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:40 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

JohnBrose wrote:
I've noticed mine makes a fair amount of noise if it's pointed more up and down(vertically) like I would be taking a picture of something on the ground for example. It might be something in the sensors or actuators in not knowing how to move the stabilization assymbly. Then when I turn the lens to more of a horizontal orientation, it's fine.

I tried that, and it makes no difference: the IS unit always operates quietly and effectively, once it gets going. The only problem is the IS windup and parking. In fact, every time it rattles on windup, it also rattles on parking. That makes me think that I am looking at the same defect which just kind of reverses itself.
Perhaps a defective IS parking solenoid, a $5 item. However, Canon doesn't do maintenance on the parts level....they do assembly replacement type of maintenance. Saves them on the maintenance manpower, both hours and requisite qualification level of their technicians.

Edited on Jul 28, 2013 at 04:45 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:40 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

scottam10 wrote:
Great data thanks Roger, very handy!
37 rental weeks to failure for the 70-200 2.8 IS II is a lot worse than last year when they were newer, quite a worry

Rember last year they were all pretty new. I also put out the raw data today - I've now got to double check each repaired one and make sure it was an actual failure and not a drop, etc.

The good news is we're not seeing any more of the reverse-gear-zoom-lockup so they apparently have that fixed.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

I have had this issue multiple times.

The first lens was my first, I exchanged and got another.

The replacement was fine for six months and start grunting loudly at start/stop once and a while. Sent to Canon and they replaced IS. Was fine after that.

Ended up selling that copy eventually and months later got another one, new. Eventually made the same noise and Canon again, replaced the IS assemlbly.

I seriously think there is a flaw in this lenses IS. Three lenses all with the same thing?

I am currently on my 4th 70-200 that I just got used and expect to hear it grunting soon enough. If anything ill try to have them check it out with a CPS check/clean and play stupid.

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:51 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

I've had the same problem, replaced one IS, still happens but seems not to effect functioning ....for now!
Eric

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 70-200 f/2.8 II IS: problem with IS

My oh my, that is a very sad feedback, Invertalon and Eric.

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.