Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

vallejo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

So, in the never-ending search for the light body, and being a user of 5DMK2 with Zeiss ZE / NEX 5n/ Fuji X100, I'm considering the Canon 100D, which body is lighter then a X-Pro, for using as a second body for Canon primes (yeah, I'm aware of the difference in lens weight...).
The question is, has anybody here used the 100D with good primes? What about the viewfinder and the image from it's sensor?
Best,
André

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

IQ will be marginally improved from the 7D, it's still the same long obsolete 18MP sensor that Canon has been using in every APS-C body since the 7D was released.

Dunno about the viewfinder, the sensor is a deal-killer for me. If you have a Smart Adapter for your EF lenses I'd probably just upgrade from the 5N to a 6 to get a built-in EVF. The IQ from the NEX bodies is significantly better than any Canon APS-C body except possibly the 70D and its brand-new sensor.

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:33 AM
jmmaher
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

It's a viable alternative if weight is the issue.

With an 85 1.8 in a studio.

Jul 29, 2013 at 08:22 AM
asbalyan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

mawz wrote:
....upgrade from the 5N to a 6...

Arent both using the same sensor?
My understanding is, 5N and 6 has same sensor, and 7 has newer one...

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

I like the Sony, but the ergonomics and the whole experience are not quite the same as the "true" bodies, if you know what I mean...I'd love to carry two 5Ds, but my back desagrees...

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:45 PM
leo11877
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

I have used a 200mm F/2.8 Prime with no issues around image quality etc. Infact the large touchscreen screen and good input layout overall helps with the experience. Optical viewfinder is not bad either.

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:49 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

asbalyan wrote:
Arent both using the same sensor?
My understanding is, 5N and 6 has same sensor, and 7 has newer one...

5N and 6 share the same basic 16MP sensor (6 has on-sensor PDAF, but otherwise is the same silicon), 7 has the 24MP sensor which is a low ISO monster but is a bit weaker at high ISO's than the 5N or 6. Both sensors significantly outperform the 18MP Canon APS-C sensor in every regard.

The reason to upgrade from the 5N to the 6 is to get the built-in viewfinder, better handling & controls, similar to what you'd get from an SL1. You also get a standard ISO hotshoe and an available cable release out of the deal. The 6 is a far more capable camera than the 5N due to the body changes rather than any real change in the sensor

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:56 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

vallejo wrote:
I like the Sony, but the ergonomics and the whole experience are not quite the same as the "true" bodies, if you know what I mean...I'd love to carry two 5Ds, but my back desagrees...

NEX-6 and NEX-7 have MUCH better ergonomics than the 5N. That said, I know what you mean and it's one reason I switched to the OM-D+grip, which has better ergonomics with larger lenses than any NEX body (I did love how the NEX-7 handled with smaller lenses though).

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:57 AM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

I've shot extensively with the SL1, 7D and NEX-7.

The SL1 files look essentially the same as the 7D. Very very nice. While I liked the NEX-7's ergonomics and sensor, I ended up getting rid of it for two reason.
1 -I didn't think the color was as good as Canon's.
2 - I could never really find a lens that was to my liking (even owned the Zeiss prime made for it) and I had no interest in adapting any lenses to it.

I do own 12 Canon L lenses and all are superb on the SL1. Mainly because of the lens selection, I think it is a FAR superior system to Sony's NEX line.

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

I use this combo. I would say it's a serious lens. I also use it with all my Zeiss ZE lenses and other good Canon lenses. When I like a very small combo I use it with a few of the small Voigtländer lenses in Canon mount. And I agree with Jay968 comment about it. Because of the lens selection (and accessories), I also think it is a superior system to Sony's NEX line
http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/151124201/original.jpg

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:09 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

Note that every lens usable on the SL1/1000D is usable on the NEX with a Metabones smart adaptor (mostly with AF and IS supported, although it does AF slower than an SL1). You can also add a SpeedBooster and get a field of view equivalent to those very same EF lenses on an FF body. In addition there's an absolute ton of other lenses available for the NEX which can never be used on the Canon bodies. If lens selection is your criteria, the NEX wins by a landslide due to its adaptability. At a minimum you have fully coupled adaptability to both EF and Sony/Minolta A mounts.

The Canon bodies win for AF speed with native lenses (and by a mile for AF-C), but that's really the only lens-related advantage the Canon's have.

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

The better AF/AF speed is not the only advantage. To be able to use hundreds of lenses without the need of many different adapters is a huge advantage. The adapters will also increase the price. And make many mirrorless combo's larger and more heavy than the same lens on the SL1 body.

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

Jay968 wrote:
I've shot extensively with the SL1, 7D and NEX-7.

The SL1 files look essentially the same as the 7D. Very very nice. While I liked the NEX-7's ergonomics and sensor, I ended up getting rid of it for two reason.
1 -I didn't think the color was as good as Canon's.
2 - I could never really find a lens that was to my liking (even owned the Zeiss prime made for it) and I had no interest in adapting any lenses to it.

I do own 12 Canon L lenses and all are superb on the SL1. Mainly because of the lens selection,
...Show more

+1

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM
old yorker
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I use this combo. I would say it's a serious lens. I also use it with all my Zeiss ZE lenses and other good Canon lenses. When I like a very small combo I use it with a few of the small Voigtländer lenses in Canon mount. And I agree with Jay968 comment about it. Because of the lens selection (and accessories), I also think it is a superior system to Sony's NEX line

Hi Lars

Does the AF cope well with large lenses? I'm tempted by this camera to use with a 400DO and converters. Have you live-view focused at f8? I'm wondering how slow that might be.

Thanks

John

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

old yorker wrote:
Hi Lars

Does the AF cope well with large lenses? I'm tempted by this camera to use with a 400DO and converters. Have you live-view focused at f8? I'm wondering how slow that might be.

Thanks

John

It works well with long lenses. But I have only used the optical viewfinder with those. And I have never tried live view with f/8 and extenders

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:11 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

vallejo wrote:
So, in the never-ending search for the light body, and being a user of 5DMK2 with Zeiss ZE / NEX 5n/ Fuji X100, I'm considering the Canon 100D, which body is lighter then a X-Pro, for using as a second body for Canon primes (yeah, I'm aware of the difference in lens weight...).
The question is, has anybody here used the 100D with good primes? What about the viewfinder and the image from it's sensor?
Best,
André

I'd say it's a very good idea, especially in the way you explain your intended use.

Your prerequisites are:
1) have a lot of good, native EF-mount lenses
2) have a 5Dmk2 that you intend to keep
3) need another body, not necessarily the highest end body - but with good image quality

The 100D is a very simple camera body, admittedly with quite a lot of practical limitations in controls and physical sturdiness. But it's almost pocket money, it fits all your lenses without any extra hassle or parts needed, it complements your FF body - AND it has excellent image quality for what it is.

I wouldn't hesitate. If i needed the "extra" to have more physical capabilities like fps, AF in low light, better viewfinder and so on, I'd go for the next logical step up - used 60D's are going into the market at a high rate right now it seems.

Aug 11, 2013 at 03:56 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The better AF/AF speed is not the only advantage. To be able to use hundreds of lenses without the need of many different adapters is a huge advantage. The adapters will also increase the price. And make many mirrorless combo's larger and more heavy than the same lens on the SL1 body.

Many adapters? 1 adapter, which can be left on the body, to get the same lens compatibility as the SL1, extra adapters simply get you access to additional lens options often unavailable to the SL1. And there are no NEX+Smart Adapter combinations large than the same combo on the SL1 body as the SL1 is simply larger than any NEX body with a smart adapter (even more so with a SpeedBooster as they are less deep than the smart adapters). Heavier is a crapshoot, but there will be no significant differences in weight between the SL1 combo and the NEX combo.

To get a mirrorless combo larger than an SL1 requires a non-NEX body (X Pro1 or GH3 pretty much, or OM-D with both grip portions mounted).

Edited on Aug 11, 2013 at 06:03 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2013 at 05:59 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

theSuede wrote:
I'd say it's a very good idea, especially in the way you explain your intended use.

Your prerequisites are:
3) need another body, not necessarily the highest end body - but with good image quality

The 100D is a very simple camera body, admittedly with quite a lot of practical limitations in controls and physical sturdiness. But it's almost pocket money, it fits all your lenses without any extra hassle or parts needed, it complements your FF body - AND it has excellent image quality for what
...Show more

+1, there's good reasons to choose the SL1, particularly if AF performance is a criteria. Lens selection is not one of them however.

Aug 11, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

theSuede wrote:

Your prerequisites are:

The 100D is a very simple camera body, admittedly with quite a lot of practical limitations in controls and physical sturdiness. But it's almost pocket money, it fits all your lenses without any extra hassle or parts needed, it complements your FF body - AND it has excellent image quality for what
...Show more

+1

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 100D/SL1 with serious lenses? Anybody?

mawz wrote:
+1, there's good reasons to choose the SL1, particularly if AF performance is a criteria. Lens selection is not one of them however.

Lens selection is one of them. Everyone in this thread that have bought or like to buy the SL1 already own a lot of Canon mount lenses. It's not like we start from scratch and don't have any lens or camera. And we also have accessories that the SL1 can use

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.