Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Processing & Aesthetics

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Processing & Aesthetics

Still exploring...thoughts?

Bob

NIKON D7000    AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G lens    50mm    f/2.2    1/320s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:41 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Processing & Aesthetics

Bob:
Forgive me if that was your intention, but to me the flower or leading growth of the stalk looks a little out of focus, perhaps due to the aperture or air movement. You did isolate it from the foreground very well though.
Douglas

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Processing & Aesthetics

Hi Bob, If I may, my 2cents worth. I feel the background is a bit distracting and the blurred highlight in front of the leaf bottom left doesn't help, and as Douglas said, the bud, which seems to be the main subject, is a bit soft.
The conversion is good and there are some nice tones in it.
I hope I have not been too harsh mate

Cheers Ray

Jul 29, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Processing & Aesthetics

Douglas and Ray,

Thank you for your thoughts - I should have expanded my comment initially.

First, not too harsh at all. The image is a straw-man for exploring processing. Tone and smoothness foremost. With limited votes, consensus is too soft, which helps me judge to process.

Composition lacks, cluttered, distracting background - all not good.

So you've been quite helpful, the silence of others sends a message too

Thanks again,

Bob

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM
mrchile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Processing & Aesthetics

As noted, the background is distracting, but I do like the way you arranged the plant within the frame. There are some very nice diagonals, and the tiny bit of softness at the flower tip seems superfluous to me.
I have also been messing around with trying for a very smooth noiseless look for some things.
I think you can have smoothness and your detail too.

Edited on Jul 31, 2013 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Processing & Aesthetics

Bob,
Before reading any comments, I looked closely at the image and thought (mostly) that the in-camera crop was way out of proportion.
The flowering part was overwhelmed by all the rest of the pic.
So I whacked away, did some brightness/contrast stuff, and then some selective sharpening... and got this.
Charlie

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Processing & Aesthetics

mrchile wrote:
As noted, the background is distracting, but I do like the way you arranged the plant within the frame. There are some very nice diagonals, and the tiny bit of softness at the flower tip seems superfluous to me.
I have also been messing around with trying for a very smooth noiseless look for somethings.
I think you can have smoothness and your detail too.

@mrchile,

Thanks for your comment - the last sentence focuses on a question I've been wrestling with for some time.

I'll elaborate for anyone interested: reading a blog re Leica Monochrom, the blogger discusses a list of "fetishes" prevalent throughout photography. The underlying question is must a good, or great, photograph possess a minimal coverage of the set of fetishes/ Sharpness is one.

Eric Kim expands further in presenting images having what most of us would describes as poor shaprness, among other things; Henri Cartier-Bresson's quote that “Sharpness is a bourgeoisie concept.” serving as his motivation.

So, couple that with my love of soft & rich versus hard & sharp and I am one confused puppy This was spawned mostly from a thread of @friscoron on People Photography in which he questions the influence technology has on one's expectations for a photograph and abilities to produce a good image.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Bob

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Processing & Aesthetics

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Bob,
Before reading any comments, I looked closely at the image and thought (mostly) that the in-camera crop was way out of proportion.
The flowering part was overwhelmed by all the rest of the pic.
So I whacked away, did some brightness/contrast stuff, and then some selective sharpening... and got this.
Charlie

thanks for your re-work, focusing one's attention much better than the OP.

My reply above outlines my purpose for the post...

Thanks again,

Bob

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Processing & Aesthetics

I was commenting in response to your initial words:
"Still exploring... thoughts?"

Trying to understand all those deep and philosophically "meaningful" quotes has confused many a puppy .

Charlie

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Processing & Aesthetics

Charlie Shugart wrote:
I was commenting in response to your initial words:
"Still exploring... thoughts?"

Trying to understand all those deep and philosophically "meaningful" quotes has confused many a puppy .

Charlie

More to the point, to me Lazlo's images often fall at the intersection of soft-rich & hard-sharp with just the proper blend of each.

It is a shame to spoil what should be fun by over-thinking it But then I do bare the scars of an up-tight, east-coast up-bringing...

Bob

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Processing & Aesthetics

Bob- for the last couple of years I've had trouble walking a mile in MY OWN shoes .
The hell with me trying to walk a mile in someone else's shoes .
After discovering world travel, I "discovered" Bresson's photographs of France (mainly Paris). I don't recall any of his pics being out of focus. Since all that Bresson shot were the French bourgeoisie- I'm pretty sure he was one himself . I don't take his words on sharpness being "bourgeoisie" very seriously.
I subscribe to a couple of photography magazines, and the only images that are NOT in sharp focus are flower close-ups and those pics that are intended to be "dreamy" or something similar.
True, one shouldn't take photo magazines to be gospel- but if nobody buys oof images- there is a strong message there.
About Laslo's incredible images: he probably picked up some ideas along the way and used them in the creation of his unique and terrific "style." Emphasis on "unique."
IMO nobody should try to be like Laslo- or Bresson, or anybody besides themselves.
I love Bresson's Paris street shooting because so much of it is story-telling.
As it turned out- through the years I evolved into a street-shooter, and I like my pics to be story-telling whenever possible. But I never tried to copy Bresson's style (and alas- I most certainly did not accomplish as much as he did ).
Good, bad or indifferent- my street-shooting "style" is my own.
How all this applies to you, Bob- I have no idea whatsoever .
It probably doesn't, but I got started rambling- and it continued on its own inertia.
NOT my fault .
Charlie

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Processing & Aesthetics

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Bob- for the last couple of years I've had trouble walking a mile in MY OWN shoes .
The hell with me trying to walk a mile in someone else's shoes .
After discovering world travel, I "discovered" Bresson's photographs of France (mainly Paris). I don't recall any of his pics being out of focus. Since all that Bresson shot were the French bourgeoisie- I'm pretty sure he was one himself . I don't take his words on sharpness being "bourgeoisie" very seriously.
I subscribe to a couple of photography magazines, and the only images that are NOT in sharp focus are
...Show more

Again, sound, and sage advice. I don't intend to suggest that one should adhere to a particular style or be copycat, serial photog - just that I early on tried to force-fit everything into a particular mold. At this point exploration in processing and presentation are attractive if for no other purpose than doing something new. At the moment soft & rich appeal, once shooting rugby matches begins again in the fall, I'm sure other traits will become more important.

And, interested in why some images sink like rocks while others gain much more traction.

Appreciate the patience of others in our consumption of bandwidth

Regards,

Bob

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #13 · Processing & Aesthetics

re: processing, perhaps try to create a bit more contrast in the mid tones, like the leaves. i think there's some texture there that you're probably not getting the full benefit of.

like maybe try seeing where those tones fall on a point curve and making that area a bit steeper, and keep the lighter/darker areas in check by bringing the curve back into line as quickly as can be done without weird artifacting?

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Processing & Aesthetics

goosemang wrote:
re: processing, perhaps try to create a bit more contrast in the mid tones, like the leaves. i think there's some texture there that you're probably not getting the full benefit of.

like maybe try seeing where those tones fall on a point curve and making that area a bit steeper, and keep the lighter/darker areas in check by bringing the curve back into line as quickly as can be done without weird artifacting?

Trotting out the horse one more time, I tried a slightly different approach on the first posted image using PhotoNinja - more to anyone's liking. Or perhaps time to move along...

I think I've answered my own question re softness...thank you for your indulgence, sometimes I'm a slow learner.

Bob

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:21 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password