Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

I am looking to jump into this lens presently, but alas.. I've never gone into larger glass than a 70-200 2.8 before OR have I ever bought a used lens period. This is my first look at a lens/glass this large and used to boot. I certainly don't have the dosh for the VR models, so I've taken to look at the older used models. After a pretty extensive search and research plan. I've more or less decided the area of glass I'm looking for.

The problem is, most of these pieces are being offered up on an auction format. I don't want to get hosed or get caught up in the bidding type situation where tunnel vision takes over, and that 'I gotta have it' mentality swings in and I end up over paying for a piece.

That all being said. The model I'm looking at here is the full kit. Case, filter holders, caps... the whole shebang, and it appears quite clean. What would a reasonable price point for an item like this be in today's market.

I BELIEVE it is the following with the following features.

300/2.8 D IF-ED 11/9 810 520 22 9 2.5 1:7 /39 124 241 250 2950 IF 4ED Tri MA FL PL
as found on here. http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html#300

ANY help of ANY kind. Any input would be really great.. I can always count on this forum for rock solid debate and information. You guys are the best.

Ref item

Item being considered. The same model, Right?

Jul 28, 2013 at 05:31 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

Yeah, they're nice lenses, but a few things to consider....

First, it's AF-I, not AF-1...as in, Auto Focus - Internal ...they used ring type focus motors, kind of like AF-S lenses today, but not as good...

Parts are getting hard to come by for these older lenses

No VR, obviously...

I prob wouldnt pay more than $1,700 if i were in the market...

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #3 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

Hello John, I owned this lens from the 1990s until last year. I consider it one of the best glass investment I had made serving me very well over many years for all types of events, sports, and weather. The optical and build quality are excellent as to be expected from Nikon's telephoto lenses. Takes the TC14E very well with little to no practical loss of sharpness and AF speed. Having said that I will concur with Nathan that the parts are hard to come by these days. The biggest negative are parts for the AF-I DC coreless motor. If it goes, hard to find repair or replacement for it. Would still be useable as a manual focus AI-P type lens. Even mint with case and all else as new, no more than $2,000 from a private sale. KEH currently has one for $2099 in EX condition as point of reference.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
OccAeon
• •
p.1 #4 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

I have no experience with that particular lens, but if it were me, I would just go with the 300/4, unless you really really need f/2.8.

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:07 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #5 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

I tried one of those out that was sale locally, discovered I need VR with something that big and heavy. 1 out of 4 shots was a keeper for me. I'd recommend trying it before you buy.

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:33 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

FYI, there are NO AF-I motors available new for this lens. A replacement motor would have to be found used, pulled from someone's trashed lens. It is a very nice lens though. I wish it focused a couple feet closer, like the newer versions. If you can find a clean copy that wasn't beat up by a PJ or sports shooter, and its all you an possibly afford, I'd go for it. Make sure it has the threaded filter holder, the gel holder is worthless.

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

I used to use that lens in the film days and it was very nice. The AF motor is not quite silent, but not too annoying and fast enough most of the time. Don't pay too much, given the lack of serviceability.

EBH

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cebseb
• •
p.1 #8 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

John, any kind of investment into this lens is a gamble. Plain and simple. Parts are much harder to come by. Two options I would look into if you're not willing to save up more cash:

1) look into third party options. The Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS is a great performer. There is one for sale.in the B&S forum for $2k. GREAT value

2) opt for the 300mm f4. Even cheaper, but it definitely won't do 2.8 is you need it to

Cheers!

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Jason_Brook
• •
p.1 #9 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

Wow, not much love for the AFI. It is an excellent lens on par with what you'd expect from Nikon's flagship teles. It's built like a tank and built to last. Someone mentioned they're coreless motors; they're cored. Modern AF-S is coreless. Cored motors tend to last much longer than coreless, but coreless are lighter and faster. It is by no means slow, it's as fast if not faster than the 70-200. It may lack nano coating, but it has more ED elements than modern offerings.

I see them go for $1800 to about $2800. I got one off the boards here w/ everything in absolute mint condition at the low end of the price spectrum.

Jul 28, 2013 at 05:36 PM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #10 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

Jason_Brook wrote:
Someone mentioned they're coreless motors; they're cored. Modern AF-S is coreless.

All information from the time they were released indicate the built in AF-I motors are coreless. Probably similar to Canon's noted here. The AF-S used in the telephoto lenses and similar USM from Canon are piezoelectric type.

Jul 28, 2013 at 09:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

I figured the AF-I motor was similar to the coreless motors used in Nikon bodies such as the F4. It sounds like there is a geartrain in there.

EBH

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #12 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

All good points to consider.

I had a guy on here offer me up a model, it was just a tad on the steep side given the considerations to made made here.

I have to say, this would be my first piece of large glass and in searching, I've seen a lot of variables (ie) AF AF-I, AF-I -1, II, and on... Just seems lik a slew of versions of this bugger. Sorry to beat this till the blood runs out. But I'm one of those research for 12 months and buy kind guys. I need all the facts and variables I could run into.

There is 1 seller on Bay ---> http://stores.ebay.com/montereypark

This guy seems to have some nice kit up for sale, and prices are...? I dunno..

Aug 21, 2013 at 08:03 AM
MichGoBlue
• •
p.1 #13 · NIKON ED AF-1 300MM f/2.8 Advice Needed

I was in a similar situation as you last year. I ended up starting with an old Sigma 120-300 non-DG and sold that to buy a Nikon 300 2.8 AF-S II. The old Sigma had slower AF and was not as sharp as I would have liked, but you could get by with it. With TCs though it was not sharp enough for my uses. I bought the Nikon AF-S II because it has super fast AF and its razor sharp, and still very sharp with the newer Nikon TCs. In addition, the AF-I and AF-S I models have issues with availability of repair parts for the AF motor, whereas the AF-S II seems to have fewer issues now.

The AF-I runs around $1800-2100, AF-S I around $2500, AF-S II $2800-3000, Sigma 120-300 OS $2000 (US Dollars). If you consider this a purchase to last 5 or 10 years or more, then I would suggest spending a little extra and getting what I consider as the best of the bunch, the Nikon AF-S II. I think the difference in cost over the others will pay off in the long run in terms of number of keepers and longevity of the lens. Plus the resale value will be higher as well for these same reasons.

Aug 21, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password