Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Plinian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Still (slowly) working my way through Costa Rica images; my original plan was to make this a non-avian post, but a few birds managed to sneak in.

On the Rio Frio, we saw a colony of howler monkeys...like other primates, there is a sense of sentience; at the same time, we were amazed at how diminutive they are relative to their "howl". In fact, the "howl" is downright frightening (had I been properly prepared I would have made my own recording;

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here's
what another visitor recorded).

Also while on the Rio Frio, I captured a few of what I thought were whimsical images of a butterfly and turtle; subsequently, one of my colleagues mentioned there may be commensalism...the butterfly benefits from the salt in the turtle's lacrimal secretions.

I included one mediocre image just because the bird was so unusual--a Southern Lapwing, I think (in the plover family)--but maybe someone else will correct that ID.

Comments/criticisms/corrections all appreciated. ~Greg

Determined juvenile

Determined child

a bit more complacent

Moving down the evolutionary ladder (think this one was three-toed)

A familiar bird (but, still, the first little blue heron I've managed to photograph)

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:33 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Great work Greg. The second is fabulous

Morris

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Turtle tears with bookends from other sides of the tree of life...

Southern lapwing (I think); crest is just barely visible, and the image does not do this bird justice

What's that?

A snack?

Nope, a commensal friend.

Something completely different

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:36 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A potpourri and turtle tears

What a great set, Greg. Love the detail and the lighting you got for these shots.

- Tam

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:46 PM
redmule
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Fabulous shots.... love the commensal friend & turtle shot.
Great job!
Kevin

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Greg, these are outstanding !!! The lighting is so beautiful. Very hard to pick a favorite ,so I won't . Do have to mention how wonderful the butterfly and turtle shots are !

Birdie

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:49 PM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A potpourri and turtle tears

A truly remarkable se on your amazing trip. Super subjects and super photos!
Thanks for sharing.

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A potpourri and turtle tears

last one is a nice comp Greg and the colors play nicely here. Curious, there is not particular focal point of sharpness that I see, intentional or not? Lovely in its own way

The turtle with butterfly on its nose should have been a 1-shot thread of its own, that shot is cover material buddy Wouldn't be surprised it someone steals it off here and gets credit somewhere else. You were ready and spot on for this shot, how sweet it is I may like the 'snack' shot equally well, the look of anticipation is priceless.

Very nice processing on the monkeys in the canopy, nice light balance. #2 would benefit from more NR IMO as would the Lapwing BG

The turtle still deserves a stand alone post, that is a shot of a lifetime buddy!

Karl

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:54 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Excellent

-Tim

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A potpourri and turtle tears

great set Greg.. the turtle with the butterfly would be my favorite also

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Excellent shots Greg. Great info too. #8 and #9 are my favourites here, they are amazing.
David

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Fine job on these, Greg! I'm impressed with the sharpness of the Three-toed sloth, considering it was taken at 1/15sec. They must move really, really slow
They all are well taken, though, especially the Howler monkeys fur sharpness considering the lighting condition. You can do even better in post if you'll get rid of some color noise
Your ID of the Southern Lapwing is correct. I believe in that shot the TC has played some kind of role for the low quality of the bg. Has happened to me too.
A special mention for the turtle shots. That is something you don't see often. I think they are very cool and you did great capturing the moment
Socrate

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Very nice Greg. All the monkey shots are well done. I like the sloth too. Of the rest, the last two stand out for me ~ Ron

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:31 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A potpourri and turtle tears

greg

yes, that is a southern lapwing. that sloth is cool - i definitely want to see one of these at some point. the turtle series in fun. i was thinking at the first shot "is the turtle gonna snap this guy out of the air?" i'm glad that he didn't, you got one hell of a shot as result.

dorian

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Oh yeah Greg the penultimate is once in a lifetime setup and you nailed it I don't know if I have ever seen a sloth on the forum before He threw me off as I was expecting another monkey! I think you did a great job on the mammals, the exif tells the story that these weren't perfect setups in the least. You pulled them off quite well, I have nothing to add to them. The little blue looks like he was shot in some really harsh light, maybe whack the temperature a bit to the right to lessen the effect I'm still in awe of the turtle and moth!

Tim

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Great shots Greg. Costa Rica is a wildlife paradise.

Rob

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Fantastic set but the turtle sequence is just amazing..!!

Marcelo

Jul 28, 2013 at 09:21 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Another cool Costa Rica post Greg! Monkey shots sure are neat. Some great poses. Super that you got to see a sloth so closely. The turtle set is neat++, with the last being the best. Well done sir!

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:58 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A potpourri and turtle tears

I think this is a terrific set Greg,

You did a great job on the howler monkeys, in my experience trying to get shots of primates in the trees is very tough and these are really nice captures.

I just love the turtle / butterfly shots - those are beauties!

Paul.

Jul 29, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A potpourri and turtle tears

Greg- These are beyond excellent.
The Peanut Gallery can only say the pictures are swell.
The turtle is actually stretching toward the butterfly- as though it also benefits from the liaison.
Good stuff.
Charlie

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.