Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

JohnJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

Are we there yet? Are we ready to dump our Leica and Zeiss lenses for a smartphone?

I really think I am, at least to some degree, so which cell phone/smartphone camera for general use?

Jul 27, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

If you really don't care too much about the phone/OS itself, then the Lumia 1020 without question. Large sensor, 41 megapixels (that down sample beautifully) and optical IS. Results are not too far below something like a Sony RX100.

Jul 27, 2013 at 07:25 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

Sounds pretty impressive, despite the Windows 8 interface! I actually think 41Mpx is a disadvantage but I suppose it allows you to crop to the framing you want.

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia1020/specifications/

I was looking for a P+S, and the RX100 m2 was pretty much at the top of my list, but I think a phone would suit my needs much better.

Jul 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

The general output is at 5mp, though....and the oversampling works beautifully. The 5mp output is frankly brilliant for a smartphone and would be top tier even in the compact range.

I mean, this is a 5MP image at ISO 800...it's not going to be as good as a DSLR or something, but at ISO 800 for a smartphone? Crazy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phonewisdom/9354701545/sizes/o/in/set-72157634775909732/

And lots of detail and good cleanliness at low ISO:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phonewisdom/9357472198/sizes/o/in/set-72157634775909732/

Jul 27, 2013 at 08:03 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

Jman13 wrote:
The general output is at 5mp, though....and the oversampling works beautifully. The 5mp output is frankly brilliant for a smartphone and would be top tier even in the compact range...

I don't understand. So presumably you can't access the full 41mpx image ("Main camera sensor: 41 MP, Camera resolution: 7712 x 5360 pixels")? Does that mean that you can only get a 5mpx file, at the max resolution of the flicker files you posted?

Jul 27, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

From what I understand, you can get the full 41, but by default it down samples and uses the extra resolution for good zoom detail.

Jul 27, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

I have a galaxy s4 which has 13mp not the 41 of the Nokia but it sucks when compared to the 8mp Canberra of the iPhone 5 I previously had.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:54 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

To risk the ire of many, without any intention to offend (that should cover it) - in light of the phone image threads that will proliferate like wildfire even as we speak - can I ask:

Are phone images alt?

If 'yes; why not stills from video cameras or those sneaky cams people mount on dashboards, and any other image taking device - how about Cop Surveillance Camera?

And can they have their own forum maybe, like 'FM Phone'.

We might end up a garbage dump for consumer anything that takes pictures, non-C/N. Looking around other, ahem, respected sites, phone talk or reviews seems to be the red-haired stepchild of photographic devices. As in 10-15 posts covering weeks of elapsed time. Plenty here though.

You know it makes sense, here is the new format in waiting:

Canon-mount SLRs
Nikon-mount SLRs
Alternative Gear and Lenses
Phones

that will work well...lol.

PS Didn't see any in Buy and Sell.

Jul 29, 2013 at 01:55 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

philip_pj wrote:
..Are phone images alt?...

Are any fixed lens images Alt, RX1, RX100?

Are Leica M with Leica glass images Alt?

How are phones different to any fixed lens camera?

I think most of the stuff here doesn't fit the old idea of Alt, at least my idea of Alt, which is essentially CaNikon body with non CaNikon glass (Leica, Zeiss, Pentax, Minolta etc etc). That's long gone. So get with the times Grandpa!

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:44 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

I've seen some tests that S4 beat iPhone 5. Those downsized pictures from 41mp sensor are great, but I'm not willing to go Win8 or Symbian.

For me "Alt" here means anything outside the mainstream Canon and Nikon gears. I don't mind seeing images pooping up in Alt forum made by dedicated CCD for telescope, GoPro, surveillance camera, car "black box", AR Drone, webcam.... as long as the image itself worth discussing or sharing. If someone put a large piece of film in a shoebox and take interesting pictures with it, I'd be happy to see that in this forum too. (but I'm not saying I'd be happy to see everyone post a picture of what they are going to eat before every meal)

When there are many photos from those "systems", that means they became a majority, by then there should be a dedicated forum for them.

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:44 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

'So get with the times Grandpa!'

Aye Aye, Captain!

But, playing along:

How are phones different to any fixed lens camera?

Perhaps because they are cameras? Think about it..

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:54 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

ytwong wrote:
...For me "Alt" here means anything outside the mainstream Canon and Nikon gears. ....

That sums up this forum these days.

Edited on Jul 29, 2013 at 06:03 AM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:55 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

ytwong wrote:
I've seen some tests that S4 beat iPhone 5. Those downsized pictures from 41mp sensor are great, but I'm not willing to go Win8 or Symbian.

I've tested the Pureview 808, so I know what those 41MP really are (far less detail then my 5D2 actually). It's by far the best phone camera money can buy.
Symbian wasn't great, but I currently have a Lumia 820 and WP8 is great to use. So my question to you: what's wrong with WP8?

Jul 29, 2013 at 04:41 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

JohnJ wrote:
Are we there yet? Are we ready to dump our Leica and Zeiss lenses for a smartphone?

I really think I am, at least to some degree, so which cell phone/smartphone camera for general use?

You think we're there? I don't understand how - to me it's not even close. A good cellphone camera might be a replacement for the small sensor canon and nikon mirrorlesses or bridge cameras (any of which with the worst lens available) maybe... nothing higher level than that IMO tho. To my thinking cellphones are basically handheld computers like extra small tablets or something. So when selecting one those are the attributes I look for.

Number of cores, speed, speed & amount of RAM, the size and quality of the screen, the available interconnects and their speed - like that. What's best for that? I dunno right now but 5 or 6 months ago I thought the Samgung Galaxy NOTE II was it,,, But I dunno currently... Is there Galaxy Note III out yet or a S3 replacement?

<shrug>

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:08 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

I just hope the Nikon D400 will allow me to have unlimited texting

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:32 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

U.C. wrote:
I've tested the Pureview 808, so I know what those 41MP really are (far less detail then my 5D2 actually). It's by far the best phone camera money can buy.
Symbian wasn't great, but I currently have a Lumia 820 and WP8 is great to use. So my question to you: what's wrong with WP8?

The problem is me, probably not WP8 itself, but its previous versions made me hate Windows mobile. I started using Windows CE (2.1?) when I was a student many years ago, and have developed software with Windows CE/mobile, but I just hate all of them. I later switched to iPhone and I told myself I will never use windows mobile again. I know WP8 is substantially changed but I much prefer iOS/Android.

I have also used Win8 (PC) a bit, really hate it... and I don't usually hate an OS ( OS is just a platform to run other software.... but Win8 UI is really counter productive)

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

Note that the 1020 doesn't have the same sensor as the 808... the 808 was 1/1.2", while the 1020 is 1/1.5".

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

I don't know about you guys, but I got into photography for the experience of making, that's right, making a photo...not taking a photo. Using a cell phone camera to take my photos would just ruin the entire experience as so much of the control of the photo is out of your hands. Does anyone really enjoy the experience of taking photos with a cell camera?

Sort of reminds me of eating at McDonalds. Quick, easy cheap...but the experience isn't something I would write home about.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

The best cell phone cameras don't have as much dynamic range as even in a few years old LX3 or S90 or my eight year old Powershot point and shoot... not even close to the same level of pixel acuity.

All the samples i've seen don't look anything close to what could replace even a Nikon 1.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which cell phone/smartphone camera?

FlyPenFly wrote:
The best cell phone cameras don't have as much dynamic range as even in a few years old LX3 or S90 or my eight year old Powershot point and shoot... not even close to the same level of pixel acuity.

All the samples i've seen don't look anything close to what could replace even a Nikon 1.

Well, duh.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.