New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

http://postmyimage.com/img2/201_CF8_2834a1.jpg

This is the second set-up. I'm not sure how the pov angle affects it. Better, worse?
http://postmyimage.com/img2/663_CF8_2844a.jpg

Too bright! Too saturated? Too sharp?
Composition OK?
Thanks for looking and for your critiques!
Douglas

Edited on Jul 28, 2013 at 07:23 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

Hey Douglas,

Love the light, composition. Some may quibble over hi-lights. Maybe take some of the sheen off the slate?

Nit: Think I'm seeing some noise the red door.

Wish our garden was that productive, all vine and no produce

Regards,

Bob

Jul 27, 2013 at 02:39 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

I like the image a lot....maybe a touch too much saturation but not bad. I wonder if you shot any others with the basket handle in a different spot relative to the corn? As it is, the handle covers up the top of the right-most ear and the handle sort of overshadows the corn which really ought to be one of the main attractions of the image. Maybe get down a little or turn the basket a little clockwise? Just my one cent.

keith

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

It has a yellow cast to my eyes. Perhaps +20 blue for the mid-tones and +30 blue for the highlights? Consider darkening the right side to reduce the slate tile glare and bumping the exposure on the vege to make it pop.

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:47 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

I was at the local farmer's market this morning with my wife and we were both oohing and ahing at this season's bounty of produce while stocking up ourselves on seasonal fruits and vegetables. The colors and smells and tastes are simply incredible this time of year. All in all, photographically great subject matter for still lifes.
I like the juxtaposition of the vegetable basket with organic shapes and forms juxtaposed against the stark geometry of the tiles. However, as far as how your compostion works, the criss cross lines between the tiles make it appear as if the right side of the photo is dropping off. They also take your eye and interest toward the right and rear of the photo, rather than staying focused on that beautiful basket of vegetables. The fact that the right side of the photo is also the brightest area, also causes your eye to travel in that direction.
Maybe slightly darken the tiles on the right for starters, or crop to a different perspective? Or reshoot and have those leading lines converging on the vegetable basket.

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

+1 @ most everything that's already been said.

Took a stab with a slightly different vibe in mind. Didn't really get things quite where I wanted them @ individual colors/saturation/etc., but you get the gist @ crop/rotate/lines.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

Or, add some rotation and a bit of expansion.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

A different look.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:54 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

Thank you all for your suggestions. When I did the black and white conversion, I noticed the tiles were a little bright. I did tone down the sheen on the banana pepper. and attempted to pull back on the highlights. Usually I de-saturate things a little but I find that the camera club likes photos garishly colorful. I like the idea of rotating to get the floor tiles square to the photo. I did rotate the basket somewhat and even did two set-ups of the arrangement in the basket, but liked this one best except for the spacing between the corn. I tried stacking the corn as in a triangular shape (one on top of two) but didn't like that arrangement as well.
Would this be a true still life or is there too much real estate involved? Would a vertical crop work better?
Douglas

Douglas

Jul 28, 2013 at 06:41 AM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trip to the Farmers' Market - capture added

I like the first because of the lines from the door and tiles contrast the curves of the vegetables .
Thanks for sharing.
Cherubino

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.