Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

kehrlevy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

This lovely dragon fly flew into our fire station and took a rest on one of our engines. The structure within the wings is amazing. Such a beautiful natural creature was certainly way out of place in our garage!

I changed the photo for a cropped version with the benefit of some excellent help :-)

Edited on Jul 30, 2013 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:55 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Very nice shot!!

Birdie

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:58 PM
kehrlevy
• •
p.1 #3 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Thank you Birdie!

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:14 AM
beavens
• •
p.1 #4 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Love me some dragonflies! Looks very similar to a giant one I found a couple of years back, but with green markings instead.

How much detail is retained if you cropped heavy on the face? Would love to see it! It's like they've got the world in their eyes.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM
kehrlevy
• •
p.1 #5 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Hi Beavens

For the close up I would have loved to have had a tripod working and a macro lens, instead of the little Sony which is always with me for moments like this, but it seems to have held up fairly well. What do you think? I think he's smiling, which is odd, because he died shortly thereafter.

Remy

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:10 PM
beavens
• •
p.1 #6 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Gorgeous!! I actually dig the closer crop more than the original.

*edit* - Actually, I'm torn - I like how the closer crop puts the emphasis more on the dragonfly, but I hate losing the nice pattern of the plating.

That is odd - the one that I saw also died shortly thereafter.

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom In Arizona
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Hi Remy...

I like the closer crop, but you could try backing off just a bit to include a little more of the plating pattern.

Tom

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:51 PM
beavens
• •
p.1 #8 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Tom In Arizona wrote:
Hi Remy...

I like the closer crop, but you could try backing off just a bit to include a little more of the plating pattern.

Tom

I think if the crop was pulled back a little like you suggest it'll keep focus on the dragonfly and give the viewer a great exit point following the end of the 'tail' to the pattern in the plating.

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:54 PM
kehrlevy
• •
p.1 #9 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Thanks Jeff and Tom. I really appreciate the help in "seeing" the shot. It is funny looking back because I remember being preoccupied with framing such that all of the wings were included. In retrospect, with your critique I can see that it really is not necessary for the subject or achieving the goal of the assignment. Thanks again. How's this? I think I do like it better, and how it allows cropping out the hotter part of the photo where the sun was strong.

Remy

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:19 PM
beavens
• •
p.1 #10 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Remy, this is absolutely the best crop out of the three in my opinion.

The bright light along the top from the original drew the eye away from the subject as you stated.

With your latest crop, the plating literally points to the most interesting part of of the dragonfly and lets you flow through the rest of the shot to the exit.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Love the bright clean shot. THe little guy helps electrify the stainless, they match well together. It almost looks like it's smiling, great capture. Rick

Aug 01, 2013 at 04:58 AM
kehrlevy
• •
p.1 #12 · #564 Dragonfly on metal

Thank you very much Rick!

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:27 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password