Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

niktnowy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

Hey

I have two questions.

1. I have Novatron V600 with four head setup with umbrellas only. Unfortunately I don't have any softbox. I also have two speedlights. I would like to do outdoor portraits session on some interesting location. I can bring portable generator and Novatron set ( it will take some time to setup) or work with speedlights only.

Novatron is tempting but using Speedlights seems to be easier.

That leads me to second question:

2. My main objective is to achieve that sparkling look in the eyes like in those pictures below.
How do I go about that?

Thanks a lot

to achieve that sparkling look in the eyes?

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

A little hard to tell with the size of the image but it looks like a beauty dish or a small shoot through umbrella. However, you can get a dish you can use for a speedlight like a Kacey Enterprises dish. Or you can use a small to medium shoot though umbrella, or something like a Westcott Rapid Box. That's assuming you want a round catchlight. If not any medium sized softbox or umbrella will put a nice catchlight in the eye. Size of modifier and distance to subject will determine how big the reflection is.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

niktnowy wrote:
...My main objective is to achieve that sparkling look in the eyes like in those pictures below. How do I go about that?

The light is fairly close to the lens axis, so you get the "catchlights" on the pupils.

It could be a large modifier like an umbrella at a bit of a distance, or it could be a flash on a camera bracket. (Judging by the candid look of the second example, I'd guess it's the latter.)

If it is a flash on a camera bracket, it looks like a round-reflector flash like a Quantum or 120j, or a Speedlight with a round adapter like a Strobie or Fong Dome.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM
niktnowy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

Thank you for your answers

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:50 AM
niktnowy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

Thank you for your answers

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:50 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

To my eye, it looks like there has been a bit of post processing on the whites of the eyes in your examples - they're a bit whiter/brighter than I'd expect.

A quick way to do this in photoshop is to select the whites of the eyes, and then bring up the hue/saturation adjustments menu. Select the red channel, and lower the amount of saturation, and then switch back to the master channel and use the lightness slider to increase the brightness of the 'whites'.

Your examples look pretty good but it's easy to overdo this effect. The trend these days seems to be to add an unnatural amount of 'enhancement' to the eyes of portrait subjects.

Al

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Outdoor Session Setup and How to achive that look?

Perhaps it's time to try a Metz flash with a wink light to get the catch light you desire.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.