Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · London----One of the very few homeless

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · London----One of the very few homeless

Almost every big city in the world has similar problems.
Early one morning, as I was walking in a decent section, I spotted all this rubble on the porch of a long-disused house.
As I photographed, the rubble moved.
And an old woman's face poked out a tiny bit.
I left her face in color because otherwise it was almost impossible to spot her- even for me.
I took the shot, her face disappeared again, and I immediately left, because otherwise it would have been even more embarrassing for the woman.
No fakery here- just sadness at the plight of the less fortunate.
Charlie

Charlie Shugart 2013

London Homeless

Jul 27, 2013 at 02:06 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · London----One of the very few homeless

Charlie, I lived in London for a bit in the 80's and have such fond memories...this however, is a jolting reminder of "by the grace of god"...it could have been me. There is profound sadness in this image Charlie...for the woman and mankind in general; and sadder is the knowledge that millions around the world live in this type of condition even still.
Eric

Jul 27, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · London----One of the very few homeless

A very sad and emotive image Charlie, I often wonder if some of these unfortunate people can not get help, or simply do not want help.

Cheers Ray

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mrchile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · London----One of the very few homeless

Dougo wrote:
I often wonder if some of these unfortunate people can not get help, or simply do not want help.

Cheers Ray

Ray, you might look up the writer Steve Lopez. He's done a series of newspaper articles on that very subject.
I'm not sure they are still available online, but you could check.
It might surprise you how they view their situation. According to some of his interviews, many homeless folks do not consider themselves unfortunate in the least.

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · London----One of the very few homeless

I have to be honest, even with the color, I can't make out a face at all...just looks like colored blobs in the corner.

Even without the face, it has some power, though it's a shame it's not more visible.

Jul 29, 2013 at 05:24 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · London----One of the very few homeless

Dougo wrote:
A very sad and emotive image Charlie, I often wonder if some of these unfortunate people can not get help, or simply do not want help.

Ray, one man's experience isn' t normative for others, but I spent 4 years "homeless" when I returned from Viet Nam in about 1969. Was it a choice? Did I not want help? Did I know I needed "help?" Did I even have a clue what, how, who I was? I question that very many people "choose" to sleep underneath bridges, in flops, in thickets in the rain. Often it seems the only way.

Was I sad? Don't really know. Angry? Definitely. I do remember more than once walking in the evening thru a smaller town past the lit up windows of people with families, food, a known place to sleep and feeling utterly with out, other, alien. Could I have done something else? I'm sure there were choices I didn't make mostly because at the time I really couldn't see any other way to live. Keep moving. Don't be a burden. Always vigilant.

Powerful picture, Charlie.

Robert

Aug 02, 2013 at 01:59 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password