New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Digital Art, Smartphone & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · how to remove ghost

Pinballgov
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · how to remove ghost

Hi all I trying to improve this shot and I would like to remove the ghost or halo around the buildings, what would be the best way in photoshop, thanks in advance

Bill

http://www.pbase.com/pinballgov/image/151526214.jpg

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Lovesong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · how to remove ghost

http://cf.drafthouse.com/_uploads/galleries/15825/ghostbusters_movie_image_01.jpeg

?

Sorry- short of exposure blending, I'm useless to you.

Jul 27, 2013 at 07:57 PM
ChoskyStudios

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · how to remove ghost

Hey Bill,

Did you process this using an HDR filter? If you cannot reduce the haloing ("ghosting") in that filter by reducing the radius oriented sliders during processing, you could use the advanced layer blending technique I often use for my clients (described below).

In Photoshop, load the final image you have in the bottom most layer. Directly above that layer, load a version of that same image with much less (minimal or no) processing. The minimal image should not show any haloing, so it could just be the original before the effect was added. You can then select both layers, and go to Edit -> Auto Align Layers.. - > Auto.

This will make sure that both of your layers are registered properly with one another.

Now, select your top minimally-processed layer, r-click in an empty space next to its layer name and select "Blending Options". At the bottom of that dialogue box you will see two sliders. In the "This Layer" slider, you can hold ALT and split the BLACK slider handle in half by dragging it right. Then hold ALT and split the "Underlying Layer" WHITE slider by dragging it left. Now play around with these split sliders until you eliminate as much of the offending artifacts/haloing as you desire.

What you are doing is controlling a more precise way for these two layers to merge together. Don't worry if your image looks too flat or non-dynamic. Just focus on eliminating the halo part you don't like. Then lastly, select that top minimally-processed layer, hold ALT and click the "add layer mask button" (below that window). Simply use a lower opacity white soft-brush and paint over the mask where you want to erase "just" the parts you don't like.

This will reduce some of that HDR-like embossed effect, but it has the potential to produce a more nature high dynamic range image. This advanced technique also works for images that were over sharpened, since a similar haloing often occurs there as well.

I hope this helps!

- Al

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · how to remove ghost

Just paint it out with the clone tool.

By the time you try a few different techniques and variations on techniques to get the settings just right to really nail it, you could have just done it by hand.

You are guaranteed to get a rock solid result too.

Might be less fun, but the result is the importing thing right?

Aug 02, 2013 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Digital Art, Smartphone & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.