Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · TSE 17mm: acceptable performance?

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · TSE 17mm: acceptable performance?

To be honest, I find that the TSE 17mm field curvature is minimal. Especially compared to the 16-35L II for example. The 16-35L II gives (when shooting 3D scenes at wide angle) a sharp center, a softer section half way across the frame and sharp extreme corners in the foreground. Almost like the field has the shape of an arc. Not so with the TSE 17mm. The field is much flatter. Maybe the test I did wasn't beneficial to the lens potential. But at least it gives me an idea of field curvature, resolution distribution across the frame and distortions. The real test is in shooting scenes with depth. Which I did. And they show me the same results as I got when shooting the wall/fence, only projected to a 3D scene.

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:34 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · TSE 17mm: acceptable performance?

But the distance is very different when shooting a fence or brick wall with a super wide lens. Maybe it's 4 meters in the middle but 5 meters to the corner. And if the camera isn't at the perfect angle the distance will also be different between the left and right edges.
And if the alignment isn't perfect it will show even more

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · TSE 17mm: acceptable performance?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But the distance is very different when shooting a fence or brick wall with a super wide lens. Maybe it's 4 meters in the middle but 5 meters to the corner. And if the camera isn't at the perfect angle the distance will also be different between the left and right edges.
And if the alignment isn't perfect it will show even more

I agree, shooting at these distances will magnify potential issues. That's way I always do them with new lenses.

The difference in this case was between top and below extreme corner performance. I have done other similar tests which show the same mild difference between top and below. BTW In all these cases the lens was perfectly level.

Jul 28, 2013 at 05:15 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.