New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

chris129
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

So today I ditched the D7100 after using it for a few months, including taking it on a trip through Italy. It's a good camera but I had some frustrations with it which led me to rethink my kit. I'm fortunate enough to shoot with the D4 and I've become accustomed to the ergonomics of that camera and FF sensors (including greater DOF control). I purchased the D7100 as a second camera, to give me greater reach and to take overseas. I didn't buy any DX glass with it as I felt that was a compromise on IQ.

Well after the Italy trip I found my baggage was not much lighter than when I carry the D4 and I felt frustrated with the smaller size of the D7100 -- I could never get comfortable holding it. Plus the DOF control wasn't really there and the crop factor was more of a hindrance than a help for travel photography. I sort of felt well if this is how I use APS-C why not lighten the kit or get a smaller full frame body?

I resolved to do something about it on my return, either pick up a D800/D700 or reduce look for micro four thirds/smaller APS-C bodies. I was close to pulling the trigger on the D800 but I don't need the MP, I don't want to carry it around the world and when I shoot people/weddings etc I use the D4. So other than meeting a desire to have the D800 I don't really need it and probably wouldn't use it much.

I decided to dust off my Panasonic GX-1 and picked up the 75 1.8. The purpose would be D4 for anything serious and GX-1 for travel and mucking around, I sort of feel I can just have more everyday fun with it and like its diminutive size (I felt the new Olympus E-P5 was a little big, will await the successor to the GX-1). Well it's day one and I'm happy but will see how things go. I was a little concerned about the dynamic range of micro four third sensors but the olympus ep5 has equivalent DR to NEX-7 which sports an APS-C sensor and this gave me some confidence in buying some more glass (now have the 20 1.7, 45 2.8 and 75 1.8).

Just some thoughts I wanted to share and I'd be interested if anyone has had similar thoughts/experiences.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:09 AM
jdanze

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

Interesting post. Just wondering, why isn't the D600 (small, ff) and some small wide-angle primes a consideration for travel?

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:01 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

chris129 wrote:
Just some thoughts I wanted to share and I'd be interested if anyone has had similar thoughts/experiences.

After spending two weeks in Hawaii with a D7100 and a Leica IIIc rangefinder, I found I used the smaller Leica more often despite its being a film camera (designed in 1932!) I'm now taking a look at used Leica M8 bodies, which are reasonably priced. I just don't carrying around heavy, bulky stuff on trips any more. I'm not getting that much more capability for the weight.

Kent in SD

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:07 AM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

I thought a lot about travel kits, and based on my experience during my last trip to Europe cannot tell you how liberating and effective it was to travel with just a Fuji x100. Great for street shots, excellent image quality, small form. Love the photos I took on that trip. Never missed zooms or other lenses.

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:09 AM
sanjayg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

I don't really hike or get into a situation where the size of a DSLR will become an issue. So, the D600 with a 24-85VR works beautifully (for me). I will have a 70-300VR handy if I need to go a bit longer. Having said that, the D7100 is an amazing camera. If I didn't have the 'fx' craze, I would not have sold it (for D600).

I think you should still consider a D600 and kit lens - my $0.02

Jul 26, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

I currently have a D4 and D800. Like you, I got spoiled by the fantastic ergonomics of the pro body. The D800 is still too big to lug around when I need something light. (not to mention the 36MP that I don't really need) I'm thinking about trading the D800 for a D600.. and since I've already owned one (D600), I know that it's a competent body to run with the D4. You might want to consider that route.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:00 PM
chris129
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

Thanks for indulging me folks - I found writing that out therapeutic! I'm glad some have similiar thoughts and experiences.

Regarding the D600, I can be a bit of an all or nothing guy (hence the difficulty of this decision to go M43). All my lenses are primes (24 1.4, 35 1.4, 85 1.4 and 300 2.8) and I don't like how the D600 shutter speed is limited to 1/4000. I'm also not a big fan of the body size and the grip feeling (similiar to the D7100 issue). If anything I thought about the D700, it's cheap and FF but a little old now and the shutter sound annoys me and I really want to go light.

Stedge I am looking forward to my next trip when I can travel 'light'! On a large number of days we walked over 20kms in over 30 degree celsius heat. For all else, I've got the D4.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:23 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

I wanted something lighter for travel but did not want to sacrifice IQ so after much though I ended up with the Olympus OM-D which I love. Just a great camera and I have been very happy with the quality of the images and it makes it so much easier for taking on the road. I also bought the adapter that allows me to use my Nikon lenses with it if I decide to do that.

Steve

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:14 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

For light, I went Fuji XE-1. It great when I don't need to use D3s.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:30 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

chris129 wrote:
All my lenses are primes (24 1.4, 35 1.4, 85 1.4 and 300 2.8) and I don't like how the D600 shutter speed is limited to 1/4000.

Just stop down. Problem solved.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

For me, small dslrs are nor here nor there cameras.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:47 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

D600 always gets my vote. It's the IQ, pure and simple. I take Sony NEX if I really need to travel light and can sacrifice fast AF, but FF IQ is 'da bomb.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:52 PM
chris129
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

DTOB wrote:
Just stop down. Problem solved.

Of course why didn't I think of that!!! Talk about taking a statement out of context.

Yes the other benefit of buying some more M43 glass is that I can consider OM-D or other such offerings in the future.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

I can't figure out why anybody would rather have a bigger, heavier, bulkier object if a smaller one will do everything you need. I am all for smaller bodies, and if they could actually do everything I needed (all features/noise control/full frame sensor/etc.) then I would only ever use the smallest bodies I could find.

Less weight = good for me. Unfortunately nothing smaller than 5D/D800 does the job for me.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

chris129 wrote:
Of course why didn't I think of that!!! Talk about taking a statement out of context.

Sorry, what was the context then? Your sentence started with fast primes and ended with 1/4000th. I drew my own conclusion.

Meant no offense, and I mean none now. But is 1/4000th really a major obstacle? I know it could be an annoyance, and I was the first to lament the max SS when the D600 was announced. I just think it's something that can be worked around if need be.

I do respect that your deal breakers need not be my deal breakers.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
chris129
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

Ah ok no issue, I see what you're saying. Just initially misinterpreted it as strange that out of everything I said as to why I didn't get the D800/D600 that only one factor was focused on (shutter speed) when it was a range of factors that led to my decision.

I've been reading a lot of praise re the D600 and I see the threads re FX/DX. I'm definitely a FX rather than DX person but different folks have different needs.

In the end, I posted this topic as it was hard for me NOT to buy another FX camera and I had to rationalise why I went with the M43.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

If I didn't have a love affair with my manual focus Nikkors, I would dump everything but a couple film bodies and get fully on the Fuji train. So I hear ya. I'm growing tired of weight. Most often lately I'm leaving the house with a single prime or my x100s.

I just wish there was a full frame Fuji that I could mount them on. Perhaps one day.

Good luck with your new system. Always fun that.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

chris129 wrote:
Regarding the D600, I can be a bit of an all or nothing guy (hence the difficulty of this decision to go M43). All my lenses are primes (24 1.4, 35 1.4, 85 1.4 and 300 2.8) and I don't like how the D600 shutter speed is limited to 1/4000. I'm also not a big fan of the body size and the grip feeling (similiar to the D7100 issue). If anything I thought about the D700, it's cheap and FF but a little old now and the shutter sound annoys me and I really want to go light.

The D700 will go to 1/8000 but at ISO200, the D600 will go to 1/4000 but at ISO100. IMHO then there's no difference.

BTW I'm not fond of the D7100 body either but the sensor is great.

Jul 27, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

form wrote:
I can't figure out why anybody would rather have a bigger, heavier, bulkier object if a smaller one will do everything you need. I am all for smaller bodies, and if they could actually do everything I needed (all features/noise control/full frame sensor/etc.) then I would only ever use the smallest bodies I could find.

Less weight = good for me. Unfortunately nothing smaller than 5D/D800 does the job for me.

The history of the entire trend of photo gear since the invention of film around 1880 has been for camera gear to get ever smaller. This is obviously continuing. Something like a Leica M8 is already matching the results I used to get and sell from my Bronica 645, with far less weight & bulk. The Fuji X-pro will likely do about 95% of the shots I want to take as it is now. For something other than weddings/indoor sports it's getting increasingly difficult to justify heavy, expensive gear.

Kent in SD

Jul 27, 2013 at 08:44 AM
guyharrison
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · goodbye d7100, rethought kit

I have an OM-D for my travel kit, with the 9-18 zoom, the 14-150, and a couple of primes. The kit is a joy to use, very, very tiny compared to any DSLR kit, and has excellent image quality. It is a complement to my D800 kit, not a replacement, but when I have to jump on a plane for a quick trip that is not primarily photo-oriented, I have a light systemt to grab that can still give me full quality images if I run into the right situation, like a spectacular sunset or landscape.

Jul 29, 2013 at 09:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.