Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

I'm trying to decide whether to change part of summer plans to go to Ranier, SF and Big Sur in August. My wife's preference is still make the road trip to Ranier, return home and then fly out somewhere.

There are some good seat sales to Miami, Honolulu and Maui and we haven't been to either of these places. Any advice from these three choices and what would be some photographic options during the end of August? What would be the best places to stay.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

We share a condo in South Florida with access virtually any time but STRONGLY dislike the heat and humidity there in the summer FWIW.

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:34 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

Maui

Sorry Florida, but it isn't even close...but if you haven't seen Big Sur, that is amazing too...but Maui...aahhhhhh...

Either way it sounds like a great fall for you

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:52 PM
JimKied
• •
p.1 #4 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

I live in Pensacola, Fl. And although Miami is a far piece from here, I can tell you with a great amount of certainty that you probably will not enjoy it unless you love high temperatures and humidity of 80% or higher. Plus it is prime hurricane season. Miami is best enjoyed in the winter and spring months.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:00 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #5 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

I went to Honolulu last year. Pretty amazing place. Tons of beautiful beachs to photograph. Def would make the trip to Maui also though if I were to do it again and not just stay in Honolulu. Bellows beach is probably one of the nicest beaches to visit in Honolulu.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:17 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

If you are heading to the Hawaii, I would pick Kauai as the island of choice. Amazing place for photography and the beaches are simply the best. Get yourself a vacation rental home away from the condo scene and you'll immerse into the Hawaian life.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

thanks for the advice everyone - I think Miami will definitely be off the list - I had a hard time with the humidity in Toronto last week - will save Miami for a winter trip.

I guess its a matter for deciding between flying to Hawaii and going with my preference - road trip to SF/Big Sur/Tahoe.

Jul 28, 2013 at 07:40 PM
johnnygator
• •
p.1 #8 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

I just got back from camping through the keys and you really have to be used to it to be enjoyable. I've lived in Florida since '96 and it was borderline for me. If I had to chose I would take Miami off the list. Photography is extremely difficult and its tough to find good locations that haven't been ruined by greedy humans.

However, Big Cypress and the Everglades are really awesome in these months. The huge storm clouds that run through the area are very photographable.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #9 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

Don't waiste your time in Miami . Too hot and humid. Everything here is flat. Yeah Clyde butcher can take photographs of anything here and make it look amazing, but im not impressed with Florida. I've got the shots from bug cypress and Everglades . Doesn't compare to Hawaiian islands.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:29 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

Maui IMO

Jul 29, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Maimi or Hawaii advice for August

Big Sur hands down. If you have never been there it will just awe and inspire you. There is a reason Edward Weston and Ansel Adams made their home in Carmel. All that area is stunning. In fact, from Morro Bay north. California State Route 1 (Cabrillo Highway) is an amazing drive.

The most density of unreal scenery for photography with VERY easy access is (from south to north) on Julia Pfeiffer Burns Park, Garrapata State Park, Point Lobos Reserve, Carmel and the 17-mile drive and Pacific Grove (Monterrey).

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:35 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password