Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

kris416
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

Hi all,

I just picked up a D3 a couple weeks ago and thought to post a couple of pics that were passable from last weekends tournament. I take thousands, but always format the card after because we upload so many games at a fairly rapid pace, so I have very few to choose from. Next weekend I will try to retain more "keepers" for the purpose of your feedback.

Anyways here they are. Lighting was the worst I've experienced in the past year. Plus the WB was constantly off due to the type of lights the arena uses. Auto wb jumped around too much, so I set it manually for some consistency and have corrected in LR.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

Wasn't expecting indoor LAX, like the last one, the other two are cropped a bit too tightly for me, would like some leading space to our left.

Chris

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:29 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

You're absolutely right, Chris. Thanks for commenting... and yea should have mentioned indoor in the title.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

I echo Chris' comment and the images are a tad soft on my monitor. I hope to see more.

Ted

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:32 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

Ted ellis wrote:
I echo Chris' comment and the images are a tad soft on my monitor. I hope to see more.

Ted

My monitor too I've cropped quite a bit on the first one. I'm also shooting a 70-200 VR1 at usually 200, which is said to be softer than the VR2, but I wouldn't know yet.

I will be posting more this weekend and hopefully can retain some better shots throughout the day.

thanks.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:49 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

Hey Kris... nice to see local LAX action posted around here.

I'll also agree the first two don't have enough leading space in the direction the player is either looking or moving. That's what I aim for... so the players are either looking or moving into the frame, not away.

I also think you've got some WB issues here plainly evident, although it comes with the territory of indoor LAX in crappy-lit hockey arenas. Those cycling lights (check out the progression of WB in your 3 shots here...) coupled with fast action, grey floors and aging boards, low light volume to begin with... ain't shooting this stuff a blast??

Anyway, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of tweaking one of your images to show how a quick 10-second edit in post can help with the WB...

http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-F63Mcfc/0/X3/i-F63Mcfc-O.jpg

Honestly, just a quick dropper tool for WB adjust in NX2 and a hint of USM and I think it brought the image around somewhat.

PS Let me know if you aren't ok with this edit and I'll take it down.

Fun game to watch, hard as heck to shoot. Keep at it and keep posting! CHEERS!

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:16 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ontario Lacrosse C&C

dj dunzie wrote:
Hey Kris... nice to see local LAX action posted around here.

I'll also agree the first two don't have enough leading space in the direction the player is either looking or moving. That's what I aim for... so the players are either looking or moving into the frame, not away.

I also think you've got some WB issues here plainly evident, although it comes with the territory of indoor LAX in crappy-lit hockey arenas. Those cycling lights (check out the progression of WB in your 3 shots here...) coupled with fast action, grey floors and aging boards, low light volume to
...Show more

Holy crap! That is night and day! I very much appreciate the sample. I have been focusing on learning to shoot and not so much on post processing. Thanks for this. Im using lr3 and ps5 currently

***update: I just got home and figured out how to use USM in photoshop and working out the white balance. what a difference! Thanks again for the tips.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.