Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Need soft box/boom lighting setup help

mrhoni
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need soft box/boom lighting setup help

I need some help with light positioning. What I run into is the softboxes or stands encroach my frame.

I've done three setups and work around this encroachment as best I can. Mostly I'm photographing pets at ground level, but has also applied to people when sitting on a stool or standing. The closer the box, the softer the light, the more this equipment keeps getting in the way. I think I'm putting the boxes a foot above subject, but small animals on the floor, I lay down and can have problems with these things getting in the frame.

Setups:
1) Boxes camera left and camera right
2) 1 box left or right for main and 1 box middle for fill
3) 1 box middle with reflectors on sides

I just purchased a stand with boom arm and am playing with that now. Figured this would be used for when I want the light in the middle.

The lens most used is 70-200 so I'm back away from the subject.

Anyone have any photos of these setups? I've not been successful searching for examples of what I need to see to understand placement to avoid this setup.

Suggestions please. Thanks.

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:15 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #2 · Need soft box/boom lighting setup help

Just checking my boom setup. If I used it straight on, bottom of box is at my nose and top is about 1 1/2 ft above my head. So if I'm behind the box, then its in the way.

Stumped!

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:25 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Need soft box/boom lighting setup help

If the angle you need requires the boxes to be within the frame, then you need to use bigger boxes so you can move them further back and have the same light quality.

In other words, you need to have them at or behind the "firing line" (camera position) if they're near the lens axis, or at a greater angle so as to be outside of the frame.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:44 AM
CAlbertson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Need soft box/boom lighting setup help

mrhoni wrote:
I need some help with light positioning. What I run into is the softboxes or stands encroach my frame.......

The only thing that controls the softness of the light is the "annular size" of the box as seen from the subject's location. So by this rule if you need to pull the box farther away, then you need a bigger box. It is linear so if you need to double the distance then you need a box twice the size.

This gets expensive so you toss a white sheet over a background stand and make a six foot square box. Put the normal box with the front pulled off in back of the sheet.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password