Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

hulk2006
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

I just bought a D600 and I am going to be buying the Tamron 24-70 lens which has a 82mm diameter. I also plan on buying the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and I already have the Tamron 70-300.

I am looking at the 2filter.com website (I bought my 77mm Marumi Super DHG Digital Circular Polarizer filter on there for the D90 and it's awesome, will probably end up selling it and getting the 82mm version).

I am looking to get into ND filters but need advice on exactly which setup I should buy.

Is Hitech Modular Graduated Holder System any good?

http://www.2filter.com/prices/Hitech/Hitech4x4.html

What size holder should I get?

What size filter? 4x4, 4x5 or 4x6 size?

How many stops? And soft or hard?

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

Check out this website, there's some info there that might be useful. There is also a 1-800 # and they are based out of Florida iirc for more personal answers.

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

I went with the Z-Pro size to help prevent less possibility of vignetting.

Lately I've been using a hard 3 stop reverse ND Grad, (Darryl Benson's) and have been pleased with the results, ymmv. There's a different tool for every situation unfortunately.

Just my 2 cents,

Roger

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Mstic
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

A good website to see what company offers what stop for ND filters. http://www.2filter.com/4x4camerafilters/4x4ndgraduals.html

I chose schneider because it's glass, I like the weight of it, doesn't scratch as easy, i like the images i'm getting, easy to clean, and the 4x4 was easy enough for me to hand hold in front of a 16-35 lens without vignetting and no fingers in the photos . I have the ND1.2 because ND0.9 wasn't strong enough for me. Despite saying that, I had to get the 4mm guard rails for the Lee foundation kit holder because the schneider glasses are 4mm thick as opposed to Lee which are 2mm. The singh-ray filters are also 2mm. It is easier to hold the 4x6 in front of the lens though. If you can, you should borrow a 4x4 and a 4x6 and see which one you like more for what you do. I originally hand held my filters but will be switching to a holder now to decrease my setup time and to hold at least 2 filters.

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:12 PM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

Get a Lee filter holder with adapter rings to fit your lenses. 4x5 filters are sufficient. 2 & 3 stop soft for wide angle lenses, 2 & 3 stop hard for longer focal lengths. Reverse grads best if you are shooting into the sunset. Singh Ray and Lee filters are the best. If money is an issue go with Hitech. Own them myself, great quality and no color cast in the filters. You may want to look into a polarizer (such as Lee) that fits in the filter holder in stead of a screw in type. One size fits all and a big advantage when using in combination with grads.

Roger

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

RogerAure wrote:
Get a Lee filter holder with adapter rings to fit your lenses. 4x5 filters are sufficient. 2 & 3 stop soft for wide angle lenses, 2 & 3 stop hard for longer focal lengths. Reverse grads best if you are shooting into the sunset. Singh Ray and Lee filters are the best. If money is an issue go with Hitech. Own them myself, great quality and no color cast in the filters. You may want to look into a polarizer (such as Lee) that fits in the filter holder in stead of a screw in type. One size fits all
...Show more
I'm pretty sure my Hitech filters give a cast if you stack more than 3 or 4 stops but it's not too bad.

Jul 28, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

Ed Swift wrote:
I'm pretty sure my Hitech filters give a cast if you stack more than 3 or 4 stops but it's not too bad.

You would think that they would have a cast from the color of the tint, but I'm hard pressed to find it when I shoot them side by side (Lee and Hitec).

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:04 PM
hulk2006
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

I currently have a mural circular polarizer filter that I can twist and it darkens/lightens the sky. How would you adjust the polarizer if its a 4x5 and not circular?

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:56 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

hulk2006 wrote:
I currently have a mural circular polarizer filter that I can twist and it darkens/lightens the sky. How would you adjust the polarizer if its a 4x5 and not circular?

The CPL is 4x4 and you just rotate the holder or pull out the CPL and rotate it 90 degrees. They also have a round 105mm CPL you mount to a front ring

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:28 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

Lee FK holder with appropriate rings. 2 & 3 soft, 2 hard from Lee. 3 reverse from Singh Ray. Lee 4x4 CPL. A Big Stopper. I haven't tried out the new Hitech Prostop filters but I'd be tempted by a 6 stop 4x4 ND as well.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:33 PM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

hulk2006 wrote:

I was thinking of the rotating polarizer that fits in an adapter in the front of the filter holder:

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/polariser

Regarding color cast. I'm sure you can see some color shift under certain conditions as you would probably do with Lee filters as well, but in my experience it has never been noticeable.

Roger

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:35 AM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

I've never noticed much of any color cast with Lee. I have had plenty of color cast issues with Singh Ray though. Not sure why they get recommended so much. Marketing and elite prices I guess.

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Lincoln Harrison

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

TheWengler wrote:
I've never noticed much of any color cast with Lee. I have had plenty of color cast issues with Singh Ray though. Not sure why they get recommended so much. Marketing and elite prices I guess.

Me too. From what I'd read Singh Ray are the best, in practice Lee is way ahead.

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:28 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

I have a 5D MKII and a Tamron 24-70 and use Cokin P series holders and filters. I have their circular polarizer and a bunch of grad and non-grad square ND filters that I purchased from Fotodiox. The Cokin system is a hold-over from my medium format days and it has lens adapters up to 82mm. I use the wide angle holder with that lens to avoid vignetting.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:29 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

TheWengler wrote:
Lee FK holder with appropriate rings. 2 & 3 soft, 2 hard from Lee. 3 reverse from Singh Ray. Lee 4x4 CPL. A Big Stopper. I haven't tried out the new Hitech Prostop filters but I'd be tempted by a 6 stop 4x4 ND as well.

This is exactly what I would recommend too. That's a complete setup right there. 105 screw on CPL would also be another option as well.

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:00 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

boingyman wrote:
This is exactly what I would recommend too. That's a complete setup right there. 105 screw on CPL would also be another option as well.

I have that as well, but I like the 4x4 better for less vignetting and it's easier to take on and off. It's also cheaper. Of course you lose the ability to fine tune the polarization effect.

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Mstic
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

anybody have any experience with schneider filters? anybody notice any color cast from their glass filters?

Aug 02, 2013 at 06:03 PM
hulk2006
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

Thanks for the answers, I do have some questions:

1) What is a good budget brand 105mm MC Circular Polarizer Filter that doesn't cost $300? Is Zeikos any good? http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Zeikos-105mm-MC-Circular-Polarizer-Glass-Filter/4446881/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=Uf-gDgAAADXCtUN1:20130805172534:s

I had their battery grip for the D90 and it worked just fine. Why the huge price difference between circular polarizers fellas? I can't imagine a $300 polarizer being 10 times better than a $30 one. Maybe twice as good but not ten times.

I wish the MarumiSuper DHG Digital Circular-Polarizer came in 105mm size, their biggest is 95mm.

Also, can someone help me out and let me know exactly what I need to purchase to start using ND gradual filters?

Here is what I am thinking of buying:
http://www.2filter.com/prices/graduated_nd%20holders.html

Hitech Metal Modular holder $61.11
82mm wide angle holder $56
105mm ring for polarizer $25
62mm standard holder for my Tamron 70-300 lens $23

Hitech 4x5 ND soft and hard 3 stop filters $160

105mm polarizer, haven't decided which one but I'd like it to be a buget one that isn't $300.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:37 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

Just a thought, you may want to start small or slow. It is possible to handhold the grad. ND filters especially if you're using live view. Just to get a feel for it. Many never do use the holders.

2 more cents,

Roger

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:53 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Talk To Me About ND Gradual filters.

if you handhold the filters, you may want to put a couple of small pieces of green felt or something on the front edge of the lens. the polycarb filters are easy to scratch if rubbed

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.