New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

christian86

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

I also placed this in the alternative forum group, but then it struck me that maybe Nikon users wouldn't see there and I'd loose a lot of insight to my question. If I break any rules by doing that, I'm sorry.

ok - so the subject is bound to cause some reactions - but, I already have a Hasselblad H4D and a Pentax 645D, so I'm quite covered as to what I have. The H4D was a mistake to buy, but hey, I love how it works, and more than that I love how colours are rendered in oposite to Nikon were as I'm never happy at all.

The point is - I was supposed to work together with a fellow photographer, but he seems to loose intrest in the cooperation, and I'm starting to have second thoughts about it all since the whole thing can end up costing me a lot of money if it goes south....roughly 5-20 000 USD in taxes (it would be a story of it own to explain the norwegian tax system with write offs and what happens if one terminates a company before write offs on equipment are done)

Last night I figured that I would rather just go back to being a hobby photographer for a while - I can still be good, but the fact that I have a 8-16 workday and earn 95% of my money on that, does that I can have more fun with photos than I have now were I connect photo to much to broken promises....I have given this guy three shots on making more than promises (he is a friend) and I have tried with others that just never seem to come through, so in terms of working as a photographer I seem to pick the wrong people. Also - I suck on selling my self.

At current time I have a Nikon D800, 14-200 in lenses, that means 14-24,24-70 and so on. And also 85 mm and 105 mm. I figured I could sell all of that, buy the Nex-7 with a 18-200 and a 50 mm and save the rest. I mostly use strobes with my photos, or when the sun is up, I never use low light, , and if I do, I work with a tripod. On Pentax and Hasselblad I have the same area covered, with the same special lenses.

Am I going the wrong way about this?

and

How would the imagequality compare to my D800?

I do mostly:

Beach
Sport (not action for most)
Food
Nature

pictures. I know a new Nex will arrive prop. to feb next year, but seeing as I can get the Nex-7 for 800 USD inc 18-55 lense which I could sell and then buy the 50 mm and 18-200, I figured it was a good deal?

I also got input about buying a fujifilm ex-1 - would that be better?

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:22 AM
Steen DK
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

Which RAW converter are you using for your D800 captures ?

The reason I ask you is that if I were in your position I would keep the generalist tool, the D800, that does everything, macro, tele, action, landscape, etc. etc. - and then sell the rest, the niche tools.

If you keep the niche tools you will need to replace your Nikon system with another generalist system.

But of course if you do not like the color rendering you get from the D800 it may not be the right solution for you. Still, it could have something to do with your choice of RAW converter or the way you do your conversions ?

Have you tried converting your Nikon D800 RAW files with the new Capture One Pro 7, or Lightroom 4 or 5, or Capture NX2 for that matter ?

I think I get excellent colors from my D800E + prime lenses with either of these converters, but maybe that's just me.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:14 AM
christian86

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

Steen DK wrote:
Which RAW converter are you using for your D800 captures ?

The reason I ask you is that if I were in your position I would keep the generalist tool, the D800, that does everything, macro, tele, action, landscape, etc. etc. - and then sell the rest, the niche tools.

If you keep the niche tools you will need to replace your Nikon system with another generalist system.

But of course if you do not like the color rendering you get from the D800 it may not be the right solution for you. Still, it could have something to do with your
...Show more

I use LR 4, generaly I feel that 645D and Hassy gives me better quality than Nikon. The problem with selling the niche tools is that their value in terms of what they give is better than the price anyone is willing to pay. For the Nikon gear I will go up in up in terms of investment actually.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:43 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

I'm no Nikon cheerleader. If it isn't working for you, get rid of it. Simple as that.

If I were in your shoes, I would also look at the Fuji system. With proper care of the raw files, you can get around much of the x-trans problems. You might talk to some landscapers who've tried it out to see if it's feasible.

If you want to keep 1 foot in the Nikon camp, you can easily pick up a D700 + maybe a Sigma 35mm and have a ton of $$ left over.

Or you can sell your Hassy set up. If that's bought and paid for, it might not help you with your taxes though.

Tough spot to be in. :P

*edit*

I should add, since you love strobes, that you can sync at 1/4000s with either the x100 or x100s.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

It doesn't make sense to keep the expensive D800 if you aren't earning money from it. You have a lot tied up in the other cameras already. A smaller camera system is much more convenient to use and carry and makes sense for your personal projects. Earlier this month I was in Hawaii and brought the Nikon D7100 with three f2.8 zooms, and a vintage Leica IIIc with three small lenses. I found myself using the Leica the most, due to it's smaller size. I'm really thinking hard of buying a used Leica M8. Like all digital cameras, they've taken a dramatic fall in price on the used market. I was shooting ISO 100 b&w film in the IIIc, so I would be perfectly happy shooting ISO100--400 with the M8. The new Fuji X-pro has my attention as well. Reallly, any camera made in the past three years is going to have great image qualtiy. Hell, I'm perfectly happy with what I get from the 1940s Leica gear for that matter.

Kent in SD

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:15 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

Based solely on the list of subjects you shoot, I would certainly sell the H4D, and probably the 645D as well... and maybe trade the D800 for a D800E. While both MFD camera are capable of producing great results,

Based on your comments, I have to wonder if your complaints about Nikon image quality stem from simply not knowing how to use it and/or how to properly process the NEF files... sometimes having too many different camera systems can be detrimental.

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:18 AM
StrangeTrip

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

If you don't like the colours that a D800 produces, don't look at the camera, look at the way you process your raw files with LR4. Its all there, you can produce your colours any way you want.

As for those MF cameras that you have, the ironic thing is that they lost their value because of the D800.

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:41 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

Try a $10 Huelight camera profile for your D800 and look at a few Camera Raw or Lightroom tutorials. I though the same about my older bodies until I finally figured out how to process RAW files and now nothing will get me back to film unless I am feeling nostalgic. Colors are what you want them to be - everything in a digital file can be bent and twisted to get it to look the way you want it to look, you just need to learn how. White balance - a $20 wibal card may help with the colors as well.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

I went from a 5D2 to NEX7 w/ mainly manual focus lenses and have since moved back to FF with a d600. The NEX is a great camera system (still have it) but you can't beat FF.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would it be stupid to replace my D800 with a Nex-7

christian86 wrote:
... in oposite to Nikon were as I'm never happy at all.

Looks like the answer is already there. If you donīt like the Nikon itīs better to replace it. The NEX series still offer you to use some Nikon lenses using an adapter and could work well with some MF lenses due to the compact size.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.