Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Alaska cruise pics

1adam-12

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alaska cruise pics

Ok.. I finally got it... thank you to alatoo60 for the help figuring out something so simple...

anyways.. heres a few pictures i took on the cruise... my FIRST attempt at landscape photography... and my first attempt at post processing using lightroom 4..

PLEASE any C&C is welcome... anything to help me with the photography and lightroom is appreciated...

Thanks again... Dave

Edited by JimFox on Jul 25, 2013 at 08:16 AM

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:57 AM
Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alaska cruise pics

Number 4 is amazing!!

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alaska cruise pics

I really like #3 as it is the most balanced photo with the flowers, mountains and avoiding a bland sky. Nice exposure too. I think the shadow on the flowers adds to the overall texture - I like it. Good job. Sounds like you had fun!

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alaska cruise pics

Nice pics and fantastic weather. Since this sounds all new to you let me offer the following (hope you are shooting in RAW):

You whites in pic #1 needs some knocking down - I would play with either the highlights or whites slider then maybe adjust the shadows up to balance out.

The pinks in your fireweed in pic #2 seems a little hot. Not sure if you are shooting RAW or jpg but since you are using LR4 I would suggest knocking down the luminance of your hot pinks - easy to do in RAW. Since you are new to LR its clicking on HSL, then luminance, then the scroll symbol just below the hue tab, then take the cursor over the hot pink and scroll down until you like what you see.

Also in pic #4 - not sure if you like the vignetting or not but if you want to take it away then go to lens corrections, manual and use the vignetting slider.

Dave

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alaska cruise pics

Hi Dave,

It looks like you had a very fun trip. #2 and 3 are my favorites here.

Jim

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alaska cruise pics

I really like the clean color of the photos. Not too cool, not too warm, but super vibrant. I like them all! They should go in a calendar!

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alaska cruise pics

Fine shots Dave, well done. #3 and #4 are my faves here.
David

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:20 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alaska cruise pics

I like your compositions Dave. I find the processing way too heavy handed. I avoid processing in programs that require you to pull sliders as it is way too easy to go too far and our minds adjust as we do this preventing us from seeing the mistake.

Morris

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM
fcobb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alaska cruise pics

morris wrote:
I like your compositions Dave. I find the processing way too heavy handed. I avoid processing in programs that require you to pull sliders as it is way too easy to go too far and our minds adjust as we do this preventing us from seeing the mistake.

Morris

What Morris said

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alaska cruise pics

I agree with the other comments about the processing, but maybe there are some issues with your camera settings, too--as seen in the landscapes. For example, the flowers were rendered as blobs of color. This could be an artifact of processing (e.g., over-correction of noise), or a result of camera settings. After checking the EXIF data for your images, the images don't do justice to your equipment (assuming you have a decent, clean lens on your 1dx). To get sharper images from the camera, I'd suggest a higher ISO, allowing smaller apertures for more DOF and faster shutter speeds to reduce motion blur (e.g., from camera jiggle or breezes moving flowers). With your equipment, ISO 100 is very low. Bracketing could also help obtain optimum exposure. Maybe you have done what most of us have done as holdovers from the film days--act like you're shooting Velvia or Kodachrome and underexposing to get more saturation. However, digital works the other way around: expose to the right on your histogram. Underexposing produces muddy type images when you correct the exposure in processing. This causation is all hypothetical on my part, so experiment to find what works best.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alaska cruise pics

morris wrote:

Morris

Just wondering, what post processing program does not use sliders? Instagram?

Anyways, when using any type of slider, I learned a very useful tip from Mark. Click the shift key, and then use the up/down arrows to move the adjustment quickly, then release shift to make smaller adjustments. Here is the key point though, instead of trying to adjust directly to your end goal, slide the adjustment all the way in both directions to remove your memory of what the shot originally looked like. This way, you can make fine tune adjustments to what looks best to your eye and you wont be influenced on what was there before.

The saturation is a bit crazy on these shots though. Instead of using saturation, slide it down to 0 or -10, and then use the vibrance slider to taste. You wont blow colours out of control this way.

#3 is my favorite. Great composition.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:30 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password