New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

niXer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

I might try and sell it off outright but I'm considering getting it AI'd.

Is John White the only reputable person who can do this or are there other places? Can people post their experiences with him or others?

I've heard nothing but good things about John White but his website is so... outdated I'm unsure which one I need and if it's still legit,

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:10 AM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

I have also heard nothing but good things about his work. I have a 28/3.5 that was converted by him and its great. There are a few guys over in the Manual Focus lens thread that have converted lenses by him. If you're trepedatious, give him a call.

What lens did you buy?

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:34 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

kwoodard wrote:
I have also heard nothing but good things about his work. I have a 28/3.5 that was converted by him and its great. There are a few guys over in the Manual Focus lens thread that have converted lenses by him. If you're trepedatious, give him a call.

What lens did you buy?

28mm f/2. Made the dumb mistake to bid on a lens via the eBay app on my phone. For whatever reason I thought that it was the AI version, because he never said Non-AI or Pre-AI etc, it wasn't until I paid for it and got back to my home computer that I looked up the serial number and saw it was a Pre-AI lens which probably explains why I was able to easily outbid everyone.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:40 AM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

niXer wrote:
28mm f/2. Made the dumb mistake to bid on a lens via the eBay app on my phone. For whatever reason I thought that it was the AI version, because he never said Non-AI or Pre-AI etc, it wasn't until I paid for it and got back to my home computer that I looked up the serial number and saw it was a Pre-AI lens which probably explains why I was able to easily outbid everyone.

That's a nice lens. Keep it and have it converted. Lens will outlive any new lens on the market.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:58 AM
mrdat
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

You can't base the AI state on serial alone. It's possible that it was already converted. But as mentioned, it's a great lens and if you've got it for a good price, it's worth to convert. Or if you want to let it go, I could use it on my new Nikkormat.

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:42 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

Could have already been converted.

If you're brave, a dremel will do the job. If you'd rather have someone else do it, send it off.

You could always buy an F3 to use it on.

*edit*

How about a link to the closed auction?

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:47 AM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

I've used John for the last 10 years to convert several lenses. One I even dropped off at his house, went & played a round of golf in Ann Arbor & picked it up after the golf. Others I have mailed to him & he has returned to me by mail - and I'm in Canada. He is a really nice guy who does quality work. If you have any ??, send him an e-mail.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

I know John has a great reputation but he will place a strip of white paper at the bottom of the aperture ring with a second row of apertures that really turns me off. I imagine he'll leave the strip off if you ask. But i found someone who regularly advertises in E-Bay who does conversions and appears to add a second row of aperture numbers that look much like the original. I've not had a lens converted by him so I haven't looked closely at how he does it. It looks great however. Here is a link to his E-Bay listing.

Ai Modification/conversion of Nikon Nikkor Classic Lenses

The C versions of the 28 f/2 are really beautiful lenses. I've been smitten with pre-AI lenses of late and love the form factor. But I only buy lenses that have the Nikon AI conversion kit installed so the lenses are hard to find and expensive to purchase, especially fast lenses like this and the 35 f/1.4. K version appears much like the AI and AI-s. Conversion kits were once available for both so the one you bought may have already been converted. But regardless, if you got this for a good price, converting it even without a kit makes sense. It is a fine lens with a distinctive character. I love my AI-s version of this lens. Good luck sorting it out.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is the lens purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-28mm-1-2-Camera-Lens-w-Caps-/231018999743?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35c9ce2fbf

Won yesterday, 28mm 2.0, serial(344xxx) suggests it's a pre-Ai model, no mention of version anywhere in the auction text.

Good thing... It looks like it has a factory Ai conversion. If this is it, you did good.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

The pre-AI 28/2 and 35/1.4 are nicely compact, sharp, and very well built.

105/2.5 also.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

mfletch wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is the lens purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-28mm-1-2-Camera-Lens-w-Caps-/231018999743?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35c9ce2fbf

Won yesterday, 28mm 2.0, serial(344xxx) suggests it's a pre-Ai model, no mention of version anywhere in the auction text.

Good thing... It looks like it has a factory Ai conversion. If this is it, you did good.

great price on this lens. usually goes for over $400

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

I got it refunded. I was able to catch him before they shipped it off so all good.

SO expect it to be re-listed at some point if you're interested.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

niXer wrote:
I got it refunded. I was able to catch him before they shipped it off so all good.

SO expect it to be re-listed at some point if you're interested.

Is the lens the same one that mfletch linked?

If so, it's been AI'd. You had a killer deal.

This is from the AIS, they are optically the same:

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So on impulse I accidentally bought a Pre-AI lense

If this is the lens you bought you blew it because it has the Nikon AI conversion kit and that price is killer. I paid $325 for a mint copy of an AI-s version of the lens. The C, K, AI and AI-s have the same optical design and all have Close Range Correction.

If you're going to play in this field you really owe it to yourself to learn a bit more on the subject. One thing you might consider is spending some time on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread where we play continually with these lenses. Had you asked someone on that thread to look at that E-Bay listing you'd have gotten immediate feedback with the information that it HAS been converted. Secondly, you might wish to familiarize yourself with the New Zealand website that maintains databases on serial numbers and specifications for all Nikon lenses. Here is a link...

photosynthesis.co.nz

These lenses are amazing and affordable. For folks shooting film or with DSLR cameras that have a non-CPU register, using these lenses is a delight. The fact the MFNG thread is by far the busiest on FM demonstrates that these lenses are still much used and much prized. They are worth getting to know... Good luck...

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.