Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lanterns?

rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lanterns?

Has anybody used one of these modifiers? They seem to fit my needs for hair light, and for tabletop. Several brands are available, Chimera and Profoto included. I use a medium SB in this orientation (pointing down), but a lantern as designed by Profoto can control spill completely with its long "skirts". Conversely, the skirts can be rolled up on an edge-by-edge basis to allow a broad spill of light (the diffuser isn't a flat face).

All around, it seems a fascinating concept.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:09 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lanterns?

I use a beauty dish with grid for this purpose. Sometimes i use blackwrap to control spill. Not the most elegant way but a beauty dish is so versatile: different deflectors, with sock, with grid, no deflector, blackwrapped (partially covering the BD or to control spill),.......

I have no experience with lanterns though.

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:48 AM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lanterns?

I use lanterns very frequently, and in variety of sizes. All mine are Chimera, 30", 20", and a small pancake version. My primary use is for interiors, just to gentle overall fill light. The pancake version is excellent for small spaces such as aircraft cockpit. Also have used these in both corporate meetings around a table, and in restaurant photos. Boom them overhead for soft light that touches every subject. Use the skirts or blackwrap to flag off any stray light that is causing flare. Very handy item at least in my work.

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:29 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lanterns?

I made a "poor-man's lantern" out of white polyester (shower curtain liner) to fit under my soft box. Instead of the flat surface of the SB diffuser, the lantern fabric "balloons" down to cast light both down and around.

I'd take a picture of it, but I just moved and I can't find it; it's got to be in one of the boxes scattered around my new (very small) apartment...if I didn't accidentally throw it out.

My next project will be to make some black curtains for it...or to make a new one if I can't find the old one.

I don't use one often enough to justify buying a commercial version, but sometimes it's the best tool for a particular job so I like having one available.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:35 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lanterns?

Thank you, 316, I always appreciate your input as a pro. Will get the medium Chimera or Profoto pancake. Do you know if the Chimera lanterns take the quick release SR? I just love that accessory.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:46 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lanterns?

I use the medium Chimera Pancake. Love it. The skirts are perfect for tailoring the light pattern, very easy to adjust and a must have. Can use as a big hemispherical overhead source, or get in tight, drop the skirt(s) say with a black backdrop and get very directional overhead light that drops off like a rock. With the skirts, keeping flare at bay (or tailoring degree of it) is easy.

I need to use it more actually - too easy to get oneself stuck into a pattern of always using the 'typical' gear. There's a video on the Profoto blog of a shooter who uses it as a key light for portraits w/nice results.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

316shooter
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lanterns?

They should work fine with the QR speedring. I know they work perfectly with all my standard rings so there would be no reason they would not fit the QR version. If I get a chance today, I will check and make sure at the studio. I only have one QR, but will dig it up and make sure they fit.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:12 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lanterns?

316shooter wrote:
They should work fine with the QR speedring. I know they work perfectly with all my standard rings so there would be no reason they would not fit the QR version. If I get a chance today, I will check and make sure at the studio. I only have one QR, but will dig it up and make sure they fit.

After perusing the specs, I'm quite sure you're correct. Only (small) issue is whether short poles are needed for the QR/lantern combo, but I'll figure that out. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:09 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lanterns?

I use mine with a QR ring on occasion, no issues. Use standard poles w/medium pancake.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lanterns?

Conner999 wrote:
I use mine with a QR ring on occasion, no issues. Use standard poles w/medium pancake.

Thanks for the info, Conner, and sorry for the delay (was on vacation). A Profoto medium lantern arrives tomorrow, along with amother QR SR. Between your input and my deductions from perusing the Chimera catalog, I expect the standard poles to work. I have to say, their catalog is quite attractively prepared (and hefty at 100MB), but info about short poles could hardly be more obscure.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:43 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lanterns?

I assembled and boom-mounted the Profoto medium lantern: a bit smaller than expected because the 3' measurement is taken diagonally like an umbrella; well made, of course; four-way skirt is going to be great for spill control. The rods lack Chimera-style knob ends to allow the quick-release SR to lock the rods in place. Oh, well. At least the QRSR makes assembly easy. I was intrigued to notice that the lantern (without skirt) can be oriented freely, not just hang downward - lighting possibilities abound! Will have some pics up this weekend.

Aug 08, 2013 at 06:39 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lanterns?

Enjoy. I've not used it in a 'forward' orientation, but have seen folks do same. Very flexible modifier.

Aug 08, 2013 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password