Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

which camera to take on holiday

aladyforty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · which camera to take on holiday

I'm am taking a holiday in November, it involves 3 days in Sydney, mainly the touristy places, possibly the zoo and the blue mountains. The other three days will be at Lord Howe Island where the landscapes are awesome and the birdlife is stunning. Of my three DSLRs I've come down to the 5DII and 7D. 1DIII is great but its generally my backup camera and the battery is getting old and the charger is on the big side to carry. Their are strict weight restrictions on luggage going into Lord Howe so I really can only take one DSLR, probably my 100-400L and a wide angle and maybe my macro lens. So there's the problem, 5DII is stunning for landscapes yet for birds, not so great. 7D is great for the birds but Im not really sure about landscapes with it. I'm more into nature shots but really want to capture the landscapes of Lord Howe. Opinions needed on which camera you would take in this situation. Im torn. If I took the 7D I would buy an EF-S 10-22 lens

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:16 AM
dodgyexposure

p.1 #2 · which camera to take on holiday

Lord Howe has some amazing opportunites for bird photography, especially the frigate birds, taken from the cliffs at the Northern end of the island. For me, this is the outstanding opportunity, and should influence your choice of body/lenses.

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:53 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #3 · which camera to take on holiday

dodgyexposure wrote:
Lord Howe has some amazing opportunites for bird photography, especially the frigate birds, taken from the cliffs at the Northern end of the island. For me, this is the outstanding opportunity, and should influence your choice of body/lenses.

yes Im leaning towards 7D, have you been there?

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · which camera to take on holiday

If you are limited to one body and want to shoot birds at their best (more than you want the 'ultimate best' landscapes), I'd take just the 7D. Unless you are really into macro and see yourself doing this a lot, I'd leave the macro lens at home. Would renting the 10-22 be cheaper, or does it matter? Do you still have your fuji? If you have the 100-400 on your 7D, you can still take some people photos without dropping your big lens during a change.
Tripod ? You probably will want this for the 7D to keep your iso low for landsapes.
I find after leaving a particular lens at home with great internal debate, I don't really miss it that much - I used what I had and enjoyed the moment.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #5 · which camera to take on holiday

dgdg wrote:
If you are limited to one body and want to shoot birds at their best (more than you want the 'ultimate best' landscapes), I'd take just the 7D. Unless you are really into macro and see yourself doing this a lot, I'd leave the macro lens at home. Would renting the 10-22 be cheaper, or does it matter? Do you still have your fuji? If you have the 100-400 on your 7D, you can still take some people photos without dropping your big lens during a change.
Tripod ? You probably will want this for the 7D to keep your
...Show more

I do love the look of the landscapes with 5DII, its a hard choice really.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:05 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · which camera to take on holiday

The 5D II can shoot bird photos, even in flight of course. You already know its limitations in this regard compared to the 7D, but it will work. Pick either camera body and enjoy. I think you will have fun with either body unless you are on a high profile bird assignment. Having used the 5D series (I, II, III) and dabbling with bif and landscapes, I'd have no problem taking the 5DII alone. (I won't beat a dead horse over the crop body for focal length challenged situations topic.) Would I miss the speed and tracking of the 7D (or 5DIII as my reference), yes.

Would I have fun either way - yes!

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM
dodgyexposure

p.1 #7 · which camera to take on holiday

aladyforty wrote:
yes Im leaning towards 7D, have you been there?

Yes, twice, but both pre-DSLR, so I'm imagining what I would take if/when I go back. It's a wonderful place. Limited numbers of visitors, very few vehicles, so relaxed that no one locks up (at least, they didn't when I was last there).

If you can, go on the guided walk (climb) of Mt Gower. It is spectacular, and if the muttonbirds are nesting, you will have some great photo opportunites.

The snorkelling (and diving) is excellent. Consider taking a waterproof camera (even a waterproof disposable, if they still make them) for some different shots.

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:25 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #8 · which camera to take on holiday

dgdg wrote:
The 5D II can shoot bird photos, even in flight of course. You already know its limitations in this regard compared to the 7D, but it will work. Pick either camera body and enjoy. I think you will have fun with either body unless you are on a high profile bird assignment. Having used the 5D series (I, II, III) and dabbling with bif and landscapes, I'd have no problem taking the 5DII alone. (I won't beat a dead horse over the crop body for focal length challenged situations topic.) Would I miss the speed and tracking of the 7D
...Show more
ifI knew I could get close enough to the birds Id take 5DII or pehaps I should take 1DIII as a happy medium

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password