New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ohio River----industrial zone

We all seem to have our strong opinions about nuclear power plants.
This shot was taken about 15 years ago.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Ohio River Industrial

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ohio River----industrial zone

15 years ago I don't recall any nuclear plants along the Ohio River. Many coal plants.

Bruce (in Cincinnati)

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Cincy Bruce wrote:
15 years ago I don't recall any nuclear plants along the Ohio River. Many coal plants.

Bruce (in Cincinnati)

I may have misremembered.
I was returning home from the east to the west by a wandering route, and was trying to follow the Ohio River (on the south side). I saw many coal plants and a saddening number of closed steel mills.
I thought this was in that same general area .
Charlie

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:08 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Charlie, that looks an awful lot like the Cardinal (coal) plant, just across the river and a few miles north of Wheeling WV.

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:17 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Could very well be a turbine power plant (same engines from Boeing 727) hard to know without actually knowing the name or location. I did a quick Google search and in fact did see some Nuclear listings pop up.

Jul 29, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Thanks guys- for all the input.
Through the years I've seen several nuclear generating plants up close- and they all had cooling towers like these towers.
I've also seen coal-burning generating plants and they did not have towers like these.
That's why I made the assumption.
If I am in error- my apologies.
Charlie

Jul 29, 2013 at 06:59 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Charlie,

no reason there couldn't be both in close proximity. Those cooling towers look remarkably similar to those at Three Mile Island below Harrisburg, PA. More important, though, good shot, Sir.

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:05 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ohio River----industrial zone

There are about 100 nuclear plants in the US. Some have cooling towers and some do not. There are definitely some non-nuclear plants with cooling towers. The Crystal River nuclear plant near Tampa, Florida does not have cooling towers, but the neighboring coal plant does.

In any event, I'd guess your shot is of a coal plant as indicated by the thin stacks in the center.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ohio River----industrial zone

I think this is the same plant you are talking about, on route 7 southern Ohio, nuclear power plant.

http://www.pbase.com/ndsphotography/image/151591572.jpg

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ohio River----industrial zone

There aren't any operating nuclear plants in Southern Ohio...

http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Sorry there is Perry Nuclear Plant, and one in lake County, FirstEnergy's Davis-Besse nuclear power plant by shores of lake erie by toledo ohio

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo312q4QGIvmLAl1FMTcdljvkG0SGKf1x-cCmR_9-nBnVP9jH3jA

Paste the link above in browser to see picture.

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:35 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ohio River----industrial zone

I don't want to hijack Charlie's thread any worse than I have... But "sorry" always sets me off.

Perry and Davis-Besse, as you pointed out, are on Lake Erie in Northern Ohio. There are no nuclear plants in Southern Ohio. The picture you linked does not include the two thin smokestacks visible in either Charlie's original photo or the one you added to this thread.

Overall my point remains that cooling towers are not only used for nuclear plants, they have also been used with coal plants.

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ohio River----industrial zone

kylebarendrick wrote:
I don't want to hijack Charlie's thread any worse than I have... But "sorry" always sets me off.

Perry and Davis-Besse, as you pointed out, are on Lake Erie in Northern Ohio. There are no nuclear plants in Southern Ohio. The picture you linked does not include the two thin smokestacks visible in either Charlie's original photo or the one you added to this thread.

Overall my point remains that cooling towers are not only used for nuclear plants, they have also been used with coal plants.

I agree. According to any information I was able to find the last nuclear plant was demolished in 1968. The design for the cooling tower has been adopted by the coal plants long ago. Zimmer is along the river. The cooling tower can be seen from the road.

Bruce

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:28 AM
julukafan

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ohio River----industrial zone

Cooling towers are used on many/ most power stations, nuclear or fossil fired, as well as at many industrial processes that generate a lot of heat e.g. refineries and petrochemical plants. It all depends on the availability of cooling water, direct cooling (without towers) is only used when a large and reliable flow of water is always available and their is no environmental concern about the slightly warmer (+5 to 10°C usually) water being returned to the source. Those are pretty standard cooling tower designs for large power stations and are certainly seen outside of the USA on a regular basis.

Martin

Aug 08, 2013 at 05:36 PM
julukafan

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ohio River----industrial zone

ps those multiple tall smoke stacks indicate that it is a fossil fired power station.

Aug 08, 2013 at 05:37 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ohio River----industrial zone

A quick google search showed a list of several nuclear power plants along the Ohio River. There is one near Paducah, KY, near the Ohio. It began operation in 1952 and, according to one note, closed May 31, 2013.

Here's the link: http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=9b122a72ae120fb9&q=nuclear+power+plant+ohio+river

Aug 08, 2013 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.