Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Seancho wrote:
Well, I wrote Sigma NY at their support email address asking for clarification about D800 focus issues with the 35mm/1.4. Specifically, what the firmware update 0.0.11.0230 installed by the new dock does, and if it addresses the focusing problems on the D800. I just received this response:

my conversation was about the same, they have no clue about the firmware.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Seancho

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

So you think that Sigma service is mistaken about what the Sigma firmware does? That would be strange, but not impossible. I hope that you are right.

I just had a great day shooting with this lens on the D800e. Fantastic sharpness, color, contrast. I think I've got it microadjusted to where the DOF gets everything in focus on the outer points most of the time. So I'm happy. But I chimp carefully and take multiple shots. I still don't trust the lens to hit on the outer points unless I'm stopped down.

Jul 26, 2013 at 09:02 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Seancho wrote:
So you think that Sigma service is mistaken about what the Sigma firmware does? That would be strange, but not impossible. I hope that you are right.

I just had a great day shooting with this lens on the D800e. Fantastic sharpness, color, contrast. I think I've got it microadjusted to where the DOF gets everything in focus on the outer points most of the time. So I'm happy. But I chimp carefully and take multiple shots. I still don't trust the lens to hit on the outer points unless I'm stopped down.

I'm positive the Sigma reps are wrong. Updated second post with photos. Finally.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM
flacoramos
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Good news, anyone in IL want to let me use their dock?

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

OK so I have a question about this as I just got my USB dock today from B&H.

Do you keep the in-camera MF setting to 0 or do you try and MF the lens first and then use the USB dock to dial it in further?

I read the OP saying he has his set to 0.

I have MF adjusted the lens on both my D7100 and D800 cameras so far using a Lens align target and both of them needed negative numbers for my 35mm f/1.4 Siggy.

Now I am wondering if I should just set them both back to 0 and go from there?

Ross

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I kept mine where it was, did the firmware upgrade via dock....
then re-tuned. Found i went from -9 on the D800 to a -5.
Never had any focus point issues, with ANY lens...primarily
got the dock for tweaking the 120-300 I'll be picking up.

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I tested out the 120-300 myself about a week ago and I wished I would have had the dock at that time. I used it to shoot my buddies soccer game and I can honestly say it performed very well knowing that honestly it may have been set to another body or such as I rented it from Lensrentals.

Here is a question I have about "tuning" the lenses.

When you get further away from your subject do you still keep the aperture at wide open or do you close down?

My thoughts and I don't know if this is right or not. Lets say for the 35mm when shooting at 6ft or more pretty much on rare occasions are shooting at f/1.4, probably your at 1.8 or 2 or most likely above.

So does this mean that I should be stopping down to say 2.5 or 2.8 or F/4 to check focus?

I was testing my 35mm today doing like Roger was suggesting at Lensrentals.com but he didn't say what he had the lens set at when shooting at longer distances as a reference point to AF adjust.

Also back to the 120-300. I did notice that focus speed did for me leave something to be desired. Now since using it I have also noticed that my D7100 has been wonky. So I don't know which to attribute my "anomalies" of focusing issues too.

So I think that might be one of the next lenses I do get as it did work well enough knowing it wasn't "tuned"

Ross

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:23 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I set my AF fine to to 0 for testing purposes. Even after the firmware update I had to fine tune it to +8 for optimal focusing.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:43 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Crossczechfoto wrote:
I tested out the 120-300 myself about a week ago and I wished I would have had the dock at that time. I used it to shoot my buddies soccer game and I can honestly say it performed very well knowing that honestly it may have been set to another body or such as I rented it from Lensrentals.

Here is a question I have about "tuning" the lenses.

When you get further away from your subject do you still keep the aperture at wide open or do you close down?

My thoughts and I don't know if this is right or not.
...Show more

Ross,
On the D800 focus for me is extremely quick even in a dimly lit room it was fast.
I got the dock for the lens today and had a play with setting AF speed. default it's set to standard, there's an option to set it to focus faster. Will try it when I get a chance with the new setting on one of the custom banks.

Regard
Bud

Aug 01, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Seancho

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Well, count me a believer. So far, anyway. I gotta say I was skeptical about the dock, but I got one, and just upgraded the firmware on my 35. I'll be damned if it didn't seem to substantially tighten up the autofocus. Didnt' get to play with it until night, but I've been shooting f/1.4 in a dimly lit room for the last 15 minutes, and it hasn't missed focus once - center, left or right. I need daylight to assess this properly in low ISO, but I think this dock thing works.

Interesting, the original firmware in my lens was Ver.0.0.10.0229, different than yours, Ben, and I just upgraded to 0.0.14.0230, a higher version than your upgrade. Plug in your lens, you might be able to upgrade again.

So, I am tentatively pretty happy. How silly for Sigma to make a such great lens, and this adjustment tool and then provide so little informational support. A changelog for the firmware versions would be useful. Sigma support staff in NY not knowing about the firmware versions is especially ridiculous. It's left to us folks on the internet forums to muddle around and figure out what is going on.

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:37 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I worked on fine tuning my 35 with the dock this afternoon. I ended up with 0/+1/+1/+5 & 0 fine tuning on camera. I am not totally satisfied with infinity but it takes a bit to take lens off & put on dock & test constantly so I'll see how I go.

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Waki
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Ok, I just got my USB dock last week and my 120-300 Sport the week before. I had my 35mm Art since Feb this year. Here's my 2 cents.....

FYI, I used Focus Tune with the 35mm after delivery and had a in camera setting of +3 for AF fine tune for my D800. At the time my D700 stayed at 0. So I plug in and fire up the Sigma Optimization software and first thing, it updates firmware. I was involved with something else so I did not copy the info as to what FW level I was at. But it updated. I set the lens to +3 like it was in camera, zero'ed the camera setting, and tested and found that the camera +3 does not equal Sigma +3. I had a blurry set of photos of a lens testing chart hung on a wall in good light. I played with the software and tried all sorts of values up and down the scale for no other reason than to just get a hang for the dock and the software. Bottom line is with update my camera is still at zero and the lens values are at zero. No other value written to the lens by the software is sharper. But I also don't need the +3 in camera anymore.

I took several dozen pics using the 120-300 when I got it. I loved the results so I never felt I needed to do AF tuning in camera. This was with both sigma TC's too. I had excellent results, the 120-300 is a very sharp well resolving lens. I rented a new 80-400 for 7 days thinking it was the one, well the Sigma cost more but its also much better with a 1.4 TC. But thats another thread. When I plugged in the 120-300 the software said its FW is up to date - no changes or other firmware available. So I figure the 120-300 should still be as good as it was. No changes planned right now.

I like the USB dock as an idea. Apparently updating firmware for my older 35mm had some effect. Its nice that I can customize focus values and speeds on my zoom. To me its worth the $60 just to have the ability. Do I need it? Nah, but again its a neat to have thing and I do wish others offered a similar device. File it under nice to have.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Well I am becoming a convert, being very skeptical of sigma lenses. With different settings done via the dock for different focal lengths I am able to shoot it wide open or close to with a higher level of confidence, something I have lacked with my past sigma lenses.

I can finally say it is a nice lens

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Waki
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I hear ya. I had Sigma lenses years back and had nothing but problems and soft pics. I have two non-Nikon lenses now, and both are Sigma's and both are exceptional. I'm looking at trying the new Tamron 24-70 VC now and that's a real stretch for me. I had the Nikon version and it just didn't work for me.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
phlegmon
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I bought a used Sigma 35 on the Buy & Sell forum with the hope of snagging a good copy and spare myself the headaches.

Turns out the S35 had problems with AF on both of my D700s. I bought the USB dock and still haven't gotten it to focus properly. Sometimes the subject would be in focus, sometimes not.

I'm bummed. Will play with it some more. Might have to send the lens to Sigma for calibration.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Seancho

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Sigma 35mm firmware 0.0.14.0230 was released July 29. If you haven't updated recently, you might try the latest version. After updating to the new firmware and taking time to carefully dial in focus at all four zones, my copy is dead on at every distance, nearly every shot.

Aug 22, 2013 at 02:57 AM
JVJL

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I just received a new Sigma 35mm today. Using my D800 both the left and right autofocus points are severely front focusing. The center focus point is perfect. Focusing with live view on the left and right region of the lens works perfectly. This is with the latest firmware (0.0.14.0230) as updating with the dock is the first thing I did. I ordered the lens from B&H so I'm assuming, due to their high volume, this lens is not older inventory. The lens serial number is 50068289.

I've been following Sigma 35mm threads for a while so I'm aware that the lens is sensitive to both distance and lighting. My test setup used a test target 6 feet away from my tripod mounted D800. Lighting was with sunlight around 2pm.

My D800, purchased on July 2013, does not have the left autofocus issue. I have tested several D800's from last year which all had the left autofocus issue so I'm aware of what the issue looks like and how to test for it.

I had been under the impression that the firmware updates had solved the outer focus point problems completely. It now seems that the outer focus point issues are dependent on both the firmware and the lens itself. I've arranged with B&H to exchange the lens. I'll report the results from the new lens in a couple of weeks.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Seancho

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Weird. Well, I guess that's why you buy from B&H. Get yourself a good copy. I shoot this lens on the d800e, and the new firmware + autofocus adjustment helped in my case. I was missing a lot on the outer points, wide open. Now everything is much more accurate. SN# 500678xx. Bought mine in May, from Amazon.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.