Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

For anyone wondering, I got my USB dock today to use with my 35 f/1.4. For the people who may have followed my thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1221044 I've been having quite the time with my camera gear as of late.

Anywho, on to the point and my reason for creating this thread. I took 3 test photos before connecting the lens. All with AF fine tune off and set to 0. Left, center and right most AF points. The left and right side FRONT focused, while the center BACK focused. Obviously not correctable via in-camera.

Connected the USB dock, installed the software, yada yada yada. Low and behold theres a firmware update. The lens went from version 0.0.08.0229 to 0.0.11.0230. Unmounted the lens, put it back on the D800 and tested it. Now the left, right and center points all front focus just a bit. Easily correctable in camera. Did a bit of AF fine tuning and everything is nice and sharp across the board. When I get some extra free time I'll calibrate the lens with Sigma's software.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up who might have this issue, that the USB dock fixes the problem. I'm a happy camper again.... for now.

Oh, and if anyone is in the South Florida area and wants to update their firmware, let me know and we can meet up somewhere.

Edited on Jul 24, 2013 at 06:17 PM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:13 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Focus was on the big Sigma lettering at the top.

First 3 photos (first photo center focus point, second is the left most focus point, third is the right most focus point) are from before the firmware update.

Last 2 (first photo is center, second is the left) are after. These are all huge crops. After the firmware update,I still had to fine tune the lens, but all points were focusing the same.

Edited on Jul 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

So it sounds like Sigma has released new lens firmware to correct the Nikon-specific peripheral point issue. I don't suppose there's any way to upgrade the lens firmware without the dock, short of sending the lens to Sigma?

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:20 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I'm kinda glad put the product out like this. Though its a charge to us. At least we don't have to keep sending lenses back to get them upgraded. Well I hope that's the plan at least.

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:22 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

that is good to hear, but I just bought a 35 f/2 af-d

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:33 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Got mine yesterday, Ben....after a 3 month and 3 day wait for the B.O. to ship
Mine was almost perfect but upgraded the firmware and it now plays well with my D2Xs too.
No adjustment on the D3/D700/D7K and -5 on the D800. I got the dock primarily for the 120-300
that's B.O.'d from a buddy in HK...great price so don't mind the wait. Glad it's made you happy.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:00 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

trenchmonkey wrote:
Got mine yesterday, Ben....after a 3 month and 3 day wait for the B.O. to ship
Mine was almost perfect but upgraded the firmware and it now plays well with my D2Xs too.
No adjustment on the D3/D700/D7K and -5 on the D800. I got the dock primarily for the 120-300
that's B.O.'d from a buddy in HK...great price so don't mind the wait. Glad it's made you happy.

The main reason I got it was for the 120-300 also but figured since I already own the 35, might as well spend the extra $60 and pick up one. Glad I did, saves the lens a trip to Sigma.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:29 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Same for me, but with a D600.

I've had the Sigma 35 for about 6 months and it's been fantastic on my D3S, but the AF was very inconsistent on my D600. I figured Sigma could probably take care of it if I sent it in, but I didn't want to be without it since it's so great on my main body (D3S) and I can always liveview focus if I really want a 24mp high DR shot with it.

Installing the new firmware with the dock seems to have done the trick, and I'd rather spend $60 on the dock to do my own updates than spend $30 on shipping and be without it for at least a week for Sigma to do the update.

Now if it just worked with my Sigma 85 and 150 I would be extra happy. But they don't need any adjustment anyway.

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:48 PM
MicroMan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I think the USB dock is a great idea from Sigma and it seems to really work. Not sure if USB will still be around in five years though. Luckily the dock (like the excellent 35mm f/1.4 DG) is not extremely expensive. I think I'll get one myself.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:12 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

MicroMan wrote:
I think the USB dock is a great idea from Sigma and it seems to really work. Not sure if USB will still be around in five years though. Luckily the dock (like the excellent 35mm f/1.4 DG) is not extremely expensive. I think I'll get one myself.

USB will continue to be the standard interface for many years to come. Why would you think otherwise?

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

This is awesome news and thanks for posting, Ben. Does anyone know if it will work for the 50 and 85 primes?

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:11 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

DontShoot wrote:
This is awesome news and thanks for posting, Ben. Does anyone know if it will work for the 50 and 85 primes?

No it won't. But rumors are they are refreshing them to be compatable. Don't quote me on that, I don't remember exactly where I saw that posted. (I think Dpreview)

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Seancho

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Very strange. I called Sigma Service in NY just a couple days ago about autofocus on the D800. The guy on the phone told me point blank that the lens has focus issues on the D800, and there is currently no firmware or other fix for it.

Actually, when I told him I had outer focus point issues, he asked if the camera was a Nikon. He said it's a known issue on the Nikon mount, and that they are 'waiting' for a fix, either from Nikon, or Sigma Japan. I asked about sending in the camera and lens. He said I could do that, and they would calibrate them together, but only on the center point.

I was a bit confused by this sort of lack of response, and asked a few times to be sure I understood. The clear message was that Sigma knows the 35mm doesn't focus perfectly on the D800 outer points, and that's just the way it is, for now.

I'd be very happy if the new dock tightened up performance on the outer focus points. Though I don't think Sigma should be charging people $60, if this is the only way to get the lens to work properly. Are any other people getting positive results with the dock?

Any idea what's inside this thing? I'm wondering if it's just a dumb connector between the lens mount contacts and the USB port, with the active electronics actually inside the lens. It would be funny if you could connect the lens to a PC with just a USB cord and a couple alligator clips.

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Ben, could you post a link to the Sigma software download? I have the dock coming on Monday, but can't seem to find any software other than the "Optimization Pro" download but thought that was just for firmware, etc., but not for calibration.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

I'm thrilled to see a product like the Sigma dock. I think it's a phenomenally innovative idea.

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Seancho

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Optimization Pro does firmware and calibration. Install the software and you can access the full user manual in the help menu. If you're updating a 35mm f/1.4, let us know how it goes, eh?

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:04 AM
rodizzle33
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Nice I have inconsistencies also. My dock should be coming soon also!

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:09 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Jonathan wrote:
Ben, could you post a link to the Sigma software download? I have the dock coming on Monday, but can't seem to find any software other than the "Optimization Pro" download but thought that was just for firmware, etc., but not for calibration.

Not Ben, Jon See what our buddy Roger Cicala has to say here (download link included)

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/06/sigma-optimization-pro-and-usb-dock

You'll see....this Dock thingie is slicker than snot Nikon, be worried...just sayun

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:54 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Jonathan wrote:

http://sigma-global.com/download/

there ya go!

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Seancho

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma USB dock fixes 35 1.4 issues (hands on)

Well, I wrote Sigma NY at their support email address asking for clarification about D800 focus issues with the 35mm/1.4. Specifically, what the firmware update 0.0.11.0230 installed by the new dock does, and if it addresses the focusing problems on the D800. I just received this response:

At present there is not a Firmware update to correct the trouble you are experiencing. The Firmware the USB dock installs at present is so the lens can be rewritten by the USB dock. When we release the firmware the USB dock or one of the four authorized service centers can install it for you. Yours Truly, Paul Pizzano Sigma Corporation of America

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.