Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

TAGfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

I have been trying to shoot some bokeh panoramas at recent weddings. I know some see it as silly, but its new to me and so I'm interested. I am not very good at it yet, but that's never stopped me before.

If you've shot some, I'd love to see what they look like in this thread. Here's a recent one of mine.

Post what lens you shot it with -- this was the Sigma 85 1.4 @ 1.4

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:56 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

It looks like you just mirrored one side of the image onto the other? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the right side is a clone of the left, starting after about 1ft from the doorframe?

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

the pillar on the right side has a fragmented edge as well.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:37 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

Yep. And yep.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:39 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

I like to shoot them with my iphone :P It doesn't get better.

I think you are referring to the Brenizer method tho?

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:42 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

I saw that one JC - made me scared for you.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:56 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

TAGfan wrote:
I saw that one JC - made me scared for you.

re: Brenizer I think it looks cool, but so much work! sometimes looks qawesome - MF-ish - sometimes I don't see the diff as much. What do you find you enjoy from the results?

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:01 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

Mmm this is a good thread....here is my take....i shoot them fairly often lately, mainly for engagement sessions...a few things i've noticed, is 85's dont work as well as a 70-200, even with the 85 wide open...because you have to get so much closer with an 85, you end up with more perspective distortion....also, the DOF effect is far more pronounced at longer focal lengths...

2nd, the effect is only really noticeable at larger print sizes....as in, 30" wide or larger...in the sense of web output, or smaller in an album, you cant hardly tell

The 3rd thing: CLIENTS DONT CARE!!! Lol. I've never had a client key on one of those pano's (dof pano, brenizer pano, etc), and say "omg!! I love that effect!!" Clients don't notice that stuff. The only people it impresses are other photographers...

That being said, i love doing them...

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

I would have shot that wide open with a 50... pretty much the same result... without the warp and imperfections.

I agree fully with Nathan... I love doing them. I actually used to do commercial panos at one point. Now, I just do them for myself. I usually take them a step further to VR (not what we're discussing here, obviously); but like Nathan said, clients really don't care.

All that said, if I had some killer location that I just had to have as a 20x80 on my own wall, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

One thing similar i've been doing recently is focus stacking my ring shots...take 6-10 images focused front to back, shot at a smaller aperture than normal for macro work (f/5.6 vs f/11)...no tripods, just hand held...stack em up in PS...makes all the difference for ring shots...entire ring in focus, but focus just drops off right past the ring...

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sodonn
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

out of 3 tries...this is the only one that I pulled off that I liked....even still...the crop is all wrong.

Edit: This one was my second attempt.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

Jackie does Pano Burma style

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:50 AM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

jeremy_clay wrote:
re: Brenizer I think it looks cool, but so much work! sometimes looks qawesome - MF-ish - sometimes I don't see the diff as much. What do you find you enjoy from the results?

I don't know that it's a huge difference, but I do like the separation I've seen insome of my panos. I have far from perfected it though.

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:21 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

I shoot all my landscape stuff on panoramic film, on a Hasselblad Xpan2, but weddings are all normal digital. I wouldn't mind shooting some wedding portraits with the Xpan, but would only do it if requested as it's quite slow to work with!

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Yaryman
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

I did this 360 degree panorama just before the wedding started.

Wedding Panorama

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:58 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

NathanHamler wrote:
One thing similar i've been doing recently is focus stacking my ring shots.

Hmmmm. Never thought of that. A lot of time in Photoshop?

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:47 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

NathanHamler wrote:
CLIENTS DONT CARE!!! ... Clients don't notice that stuff. The only people it impresses are other photographers.

I've never even considered actually trying a Brenizer method shot because I've suspected that clients will not appreciate the results seen in the image compared to the the significant amount of time and effort it takes to bring it about.

Edited on Jul 26, 2013 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

jeremy_clay wrote:

Brenizer uses the same mechanics as a panorama. You use a long lens, focuses on the couple, and turn of AF.

It's a multi-row panorama with one specific area of focus.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

D. Diggler wrote:
Hmmmm. Never thought of that. A lot of time in Photoshop?

Look into helicon focus, it does a great job. I use it with many landscapes so I get infinite dof and not shooting at f/22. Only ever used it with a tripod though...

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Gehjl
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone else like shooting pano's?

D. Diggler wrote:
I've never even considered actually trying a Brenizer method shot because I've suspected that clients will not appreciate the results seen in the image compared to the the significant amount of time and effort it takes to do bring it about.

I did this one for my friends and they loved it. It was a total of 17 pictures shot with a 85mm 1.8 @ 1.8. My computer was able to hand the stitch of 17 pictures at once...(although screen froze for maybe a minute), but otherwise it was just edit one picture, sync across, then stich in photoshop. I had a lot of overlap and it stitched it without a hitch.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password