Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

I hope I won't run afoul of forum policies here - since I'm posting a link rather than a photo - but this is a must-see set of video interviews with John Sexton and Kim Weston, two photographers that most here should know about.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/black-and-white-printing-tutorials-expert-interviews.do

Who knows, we might even have a few things to discuss here after some of you view them. :-)

Dan

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:36 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Dan2,
Firstly a true confession. I didn't know these men's names. Not saying I never heard of them, but didn't recall them. I just wasn't following photography on that path.

Now that I'm recently starting out shooting 4x5, this topic resonates with me.
I am only doing B&W for now & both the inspiration & the challenge is very new & exciting & daunting. But its a journey

Dan

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

As a new 4x5 BW guy, you really want to know about John. Well, OK, Kim, too.

The Kim Weston interview is, in many ways, most interesting for historical context, and Joh's is perhaps more chock full of really wonderful stuff about the making of photographs, and even more so in the last couple of installments. One line, of many, that I loved from John's interview was: "Photography is all about illusion."

For those who may not know, Kim is from that Weston family and is a recognized and talented photographer. John was an Ansel Adams protege who also worked for Adams, and his work is also highly regarded.

Dan

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Dan,

Thanks for posting this. I am beginning the process of learning to print so I found these videos to be very interesting. I am even thinking of doing some B&W printing since I will soon have a suitable printer.

I will not add any more comments since I understand that this forum is for presentation and discussion of presented images but again thanks for the link to these.

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:07 AM
kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Dan, very relevant indeed. watch portions of both. will watch the whole thing when I get a chance. As a self professed gear head, I have to say that with time, I have moved further and further from obsessing about my gear, and more and more toward obsessing about my vision (or often lack thereof). It was inspiring to watch.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Hey Dan,

Those are some cool videos, and it's great to learn a bit about our heritage. There are many new to photography with the advent of the Digital Age that these names might mean nothing. This does better belong in the Post Processing and Printing Forum, but I have been leaving it up in here for a day just give those here in the Landscape Forum who might not get into that forum the chance to view these highly informative videos.

Jim

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:21 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Jim:

I understand that the post doesn't quite neatly fit in this thread, and I appreciate it that you are leaving in here for a bit. For reasons I'll mention below - along with the fact that folks working in the landscape photography field really should know about these guys - I felt that the best poor fit was in this thread.

I'm not at all sure that it really fits in the post processing and printing thread either, though. It is hard to think exactly what individual thread would best contain these video interviews, in that they aren't really about post-processing so much as they are about how to see, about the art of photography, and about certain important historical figures - since Sexton speaks eloquently of his work with Adams and its effect on his way of seeing and Weston speaks from the home of Edward Weston and about the whole history of the Weston family and those who they encountered.

Given that the subject matter is both so relevant and so broad, I went with the notion that both of these photographers are prime examples of members of what has been termed the west coast landscape photography school, with Adams and Weston as its guiding light. In fact, from participating in our landscape forum for quite some time, I know that the very subjects that these two men address in their presentations are those that concern most of the photographers here! :-)

Have you had a chance to watch the videos yet? Do! :-)

Take care,

Dan

(I do respect the intent that this forum be focused on the presentation of photographs, so I understand your concern and appreciate your flexibility in leaving this here. At some point, it would be interesting to have a discussion with you and perhaps a few others about the best way to promote and accommodate the discussions of the "why" and "how" of landscape photography that inevitably come up when we view such work. These are important subjects among those who work in this genre.)

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Dan - Thanks, kindly, for posting the link. I watched all and enjoyed thoroughly.

Being long in the tooth I am well familiar with all the characters.

I would like to see the thread remain here for a time because I believe, like you, that the philosophical and historical context they provide is very valuable - all the more so in this Landscape Forum, where we strive to emulate the masters and then develop our own style or "vision."

Excellent presentation that "seasons" the larger stew pot of gear and technique talk that (rightly) predominates this forum.

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Amador
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Hi Dan,

Wow- Being into large format photography, and leaning more and more into the B&W realm, I found the John Sexton interview absolutely fascinating. Thanks very much for posting. I'm still trying to figure out what it has to do with Epson, though. Maybe he uses their papers?

Chris

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:52 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · John Sexton and Kim Weston Interviews

Amador wrote:
Hi Dan,

Wow- Being into large format photography, and leaning more and more into the B&W realm, I found the John Sexton interview absolutely fascinating. Thanks very much for posting. I'm still trying to figure out what it has to do with Epson, though. Maybe he uses their papers?

Chris

A couple things, Chris.

I was also a bit surprised to see Epson create and share these presentations on two excellent photographers who are known for working with traditional black and white film media and printing in the optical/chemical darkroom. Maybe Epson is just doing a good corporate citizen thing? Or, for the skeptics, we might acknowledge that presenting Sexton and Weston under their name does serve to add credibility to them and their products. Whatever. I'm just very pleased that they made these wonderful interview available.

I only know Kim Weston by reputation and by means of seeing some of his prints, but I've had the good fortune to run into John a few times - several in the Sierra backcountry and a few times back here in the civilized world. If you are getting into black and white, you couldn't do better than to look more closely at work done by folks like John and the whole group of photographers who link back to a common experience with Ansel Adams - what I think of as the "west coast landscape school" of photographers, though they certainly do not limit themselves to doing landscape photography.

(I have no financial interest in this, so I hope that no one minds me pointing out that John does some excellent workshops every year in California, including one with my friend Charlie Cramer - yet another brilliant photographer, printer, teacher - that focus on printing. If you want to print your black and white work... it is hard to imagine two better teachers.)

Dan

(I have a funny story about the first time I met John. I was in the Yosemite back-country for a few days of solo backpacking to a place where I often photograph. I had camped at the first of three lakes that sit in a west-facing area, and on the second day I decided to hike to the upper lake late in the day to photograph a particular lakeside tree that I had been thinking about. The route to the upper lake is cross-country, and I knew that I would be coming back down alone after dark, so as I hiked up I was very focused on fixing a series of landmarks in my mind that I could use on the return hike. Needless to say, I was in tunnel-vision mode: Take the cutoff at the big tree, follow the gully to the small meadow, turn 90 degrees to the right at the big boulder and head for the group of three trees... In this mode, I approached the destination lake, focusing on individual landmarks, walked to a specific point near the shoreline, and made my final right turn to my tree.

A few moments later I finally thought to actually look around at the rest of my surroundings, and I noticed a campsite set up in a group of small trees less than 100 feet from my position, and I saw tripods standing there. So I walked up to say "hi," and was met by a familiar-looking fellow. I said, "You look a lot like John Sexton," to which he replied, "That's probably because I am." I extended my hand... and John, who had been washing their dishes, pulled his hand out of the bucket of soapy water and shook mine.

Memorable, no? ;-)

Dan

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password