Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

harbour photog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. After not using the SD slot on my mark iii for some time it has stopped working. I am carefull when inserting my cards so with it has some dirt obstructing the contacts (tried clearing with rocket but no help) or the SD board has gone caput.

I am a CPS member but the free phone numbe I have does not seem to get answered. Fixation have quote 35 parts, 150ish labour and then vat which seems quite a bit but I know they are good.

Would you recomend using Fixation or is it likely to be a bit cheaper/quicker sending it to CPS?

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:38 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

I would try and get it fixed free by Canon, this is not the first time I have heard of this issue on the 5D3 and I think there might be an issue with the design

The Canon service number I last has success with (in Elstree) was 0208 731 4100, I'd discuss it with them first

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Is the camera under a year old? Fixation do canon warranty work as well .

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:13 PM
harbour photog

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Thanks for the number, will give it a try tomorrow. The 0800 number the lady from Canon gave me seems deserted. The camera is literally 1 yr 2 weeks old but I did pick it up on import anyway. The labour cost fixation quoted seems high but it may be a tricky change out.

Will try Canon and see what they say. I think I read somewhere else of a similar issue with the SD board.

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:46 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

harbour photog wrote:
Thanks for the number, will give it a try tomorrow. The 0800 number the lady from Canon gave me seems deserted. The camera is literally 1 yr 2 weeks old but I did pick it up on import anyway. The labour cost fixation quoted seems high but it may be a tricky change out.

Will try Canon and see what they say. I think I read somewhere else of a similar issue with the SD board.

If that number isn't correct just Google Canon Elstree

I normally work from SD as all my PC's have SD slots so I wouldn't want to be without it. I leave a CF card in all the time as it's so easy to put the SD card back in the wrong slot and potentially bend pins

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:00 PM
harbour photog

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Thanks will do. I need it as I like recording to 2 cards for weddings.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

harbour photog wrote:
Thanks will do. I need it as I like recording to 2 cards for weddings.

Yes me too on pro jobs, but I always use the SD to and from the PC as there's less chance of bending CF pins. I don't like CF cards much.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

My 5d3's SD slot died as well. Symptoms: It won't power on if any SD card is inserted (tried 5 different ones).
I sent it in for warranty repair. On a side note, my tracking info shows the camera was delivered Wed August 7th, yet the online repair thing site states "not yet received". Should I be worried yet?

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

harbour photog

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Shield, I am in the UK. I have not had much joy with CPS UK to be honest. The lady on the phone said it would be 60 parts and 60 per hour... she said it should take about an hour but was not sure. She also said the wait would not be the 2 days they usually quote but more likely upto 5 days..

I think I will just stick with Fixation as at least they gave a price and also include a service and sensor clean.

I would not worry too much, as long as you have proof of delivery. You could always give them a call and ask.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

harbour photog wrote:
Shield, I am in the UK. I have not had much joy with CPS UK to be honest. The lady on the phone said it would be 60 parts and 60 per hour... she said it should take about an hour but was not sure. She also said the wait would not be the 2 days they usually quote but more likely upto 5 days..

I think I will just stick with Fixation as at least they gave a price and also include a service and sensor clean.

I would not worry too much, as long as you have
...Show more

I just did this morning; all is well. Luckily for me the camera is still under warranty (purchased Nov) so I'm good. It's very strange that the SD card slot died anyway I barely used it...

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM
harbour photog

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Very strange.. I have not used mine for about 4 months, worked fine last time. Initialy I wondered if it was just some dirt or something blocking the contacts down inside the slot but who knows. Guess it would cost the same anyway so they may as well just replace it. Mine was an import so no valid warranty although the ebay seller did say they would repair it but I could not wait the 2-4 weeks they needed (guess they send it back to the country of origin)

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Just a quick question,
does the SD slot read any cards ? I mean if you have an SD card with images on it can you read them? it maybe that the little micro switch (i pressume its a micro switch) that senses the 'lock' switch on the SD card is in the 'unlock position' may not be switching . I had a card reader that did that , i jabbed at it with a toothpick a few times and it worked .

But then I was jabbing at a cheap SD card reader not as 2k camera body . but then if your going to send it away to have the card slot replaced it may well be worth a try

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
harbour photog

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Thanks Ian. No, after you put a SD card in it freezes the whole camera so must be a bit more serious than that.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Same here; camera would not even BLINK power with a SD card inserted. Had to remove the battery just to get it to work again. Also, there's a small door latch sensor that you can take a small straight screwdriver and hold "closed". I did this and while the camera would then stay powered on, it wouldn't even detect the SD card. I tried taping over the read/write portion of the SD card with a sliver of tape and still nothing.
I have probably 25k shots on the body and hours of video and maybe 1% of the time I used the SD slot. The CF slot was perfectly fine.
Shrug.

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Sent mine back in for repair under warranty. Canon repair services is saying it had top impact damage which caused the SD slot to stop working, which it didn't. Feel free to read about my current headache over here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234006/0

Shawn

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM
photosenior
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Mark iii SD slot repair

Seems like a ugly theme!!!

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password