Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

SKumar25
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

Went to New Zealand and used the Leica 21 SEM on Nex 6 for much of the WA duties. On reviewing photos I saw the regular sensor based dust bunnies, however on a few I saw a much larger, and more diffused shadowy artefact.

On investigattion I have discovered it was due to dust on the back of the rear most element. Generally I thought the dust on the lens did not impact IQ, but it appears it does in this case as the rear element is close to sensor.

This type of dust bunny is quite hard to remove. I guess in future I need to keep the lens and sensor clean.

Have you guys experienced it, and on which camera / lens combo?

Example, note the smudge, top middle of the frame.

http://www.lotuscreativeworks.com/photos/i-K3dC6dg/0/XL/i-K3dC6dg-XL.jpg

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:52 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

Yep front element dust is no big deal but rear element dust is horrible.

When I travel, I always bring a lit loupe and a couple sensor pens for field cleanings every night.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

The rear element on the ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5 has to be cleaned before mounting to the GXR. Even the tiny specs can have an impact with that one.

The ZM Biogon 25 and Elmarit-M 28 vIII don't have much of a problem with it unless they're big particles that should be cleaned off anyway, and they've got to be stopped down to f/5.6 before I really notice it. None of my other RFs or the SLR lenses have this problem.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

I've had a few dusts from the rear element show up, more so with my night shots, looks more like diffraction at times to me.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

Cheers guys, coming from DSLR this is totally new to me.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:02 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

I'd like to learn more too. Is it really common with wide angles, say wider than 28mm? That SEM is one I had my eye on - did you see this on many images, Skumar? Would it be visible at shooting time using image review in the EVF/LCD?

'The rear element on the ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5 has to be cleaned before mounting to the GXR.'

That would be a large disincentive. Not always easy as well, since bright ambient light would interfere with the inspection. The only mirrorless I have used is a fixed lens camera, this is the first I have heard of it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:39 AM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

Hi Phillip,

You'll be able to see it in the in the viewfinder / LCD depending on how visible it is. As with sensor dust, it becomes more prominent as you stop down.

I think one just needs to be aware of this and keep the lens clean. Reading the posts of the guys above it appears it is part and parcel of wide rangefinder type glass.

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:32 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless ultra wide lens dust bunnies!?!

I don't think this is just about digital mirrorless. The C-Biogon needed the same treatment with film.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.