Upload & Sell: On
Don't really care to get into a futile debate tonight, but I'll do my best to be brief. My point was that you cannot speak of "equivalent" aperture in terms of DoF while conveniently ignoring the fact that the analogy falls apart in terms of exposure.
Perceived DoF is what changes with sensor format, the actual depth of field stays the same regardless of sensor format; circles of confusion do not change regardless of the sensor format (if you take anything away from this post, let it be this statement right here).
Just because one image appears to have more content in...Show more →
This lens always generates these types arguments!
Even though I am a scientist, I find rehashing this so tedious. For me this lens is very exciting for other reasons:
(1) initial reviews show it to be amazing, looks really sharp
(2) the zoom encompasses my most used FLs (others will differ here)
(3) when mounted on a crop sensor camera, it gets me close to what a standard 24-70mm may look like (shorter zoom range though). I don't care about the theoretical arguments, it gets me close, that's enough.
(4) the lens is reasonably priced!
(5) If I want a walk around kit, a crop cam with this lens is viable option. If I want excellent IQ (crisp shots center to border) now I don't have to pay the outrageous price of a 24-70mm VII lens.
(6) This lens is a big "finger" to Canon, and frankly I like that. I have never been happy with the quality of the 24-70mm V1 or the 24-105mm, I have tried several versions of both and sold them or returned them for money back. For me this has been a huge frustration after buying my Canon super teles. I love those lenses but I have never liked the quality of the shorter zooms, and often thought about buying more Nikon gear to make up for this short coming. This lens is like a gift from the heavens - at least for me.
(7) In summary, I am happy with all my Canon lenses and now I can be happy with a walk around lens too. Thank you Sigma (I hope!).
Now I'm waiting for Canon to release a 7D successor.