Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens
DxOMark just posted its Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens review. According to their findings, the new 18-35mm f/1.8 is an outstanding performer optically.

"Although it is unlikely a user would buy several full-frame wide-angle lenses specifically for an APS-C format camera, the fact remains that the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM is an outstanding performer optically.
If we want to be picky, the Sigma lacks image stabilization and the zoom range isnít as wide as some rivals, but at $799 the lens is remarkable. Like the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED before it, the Sigma is likely to be viewed as a disruptive innovation and genuinely means we no longer have to choose between the flexibility of a zoom over the imaging characteristics that were once only available with a prime."

Read entire review

Pre-order Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM



Jul 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM
JeremyBlake
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Too bad there's no full sensor version.


Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM
lowa2
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Sweet! Got my email from B&H today that they shipped it! Pumped


Jul 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM
dsilly
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


JeremyBlake wrote:
Too bad there's no full sensor version.


There already is one. It's called the 24-70 f/2.8 made by both Canon and Nikon. ;P



Jul 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


dsilly wrote:
There already is one. It's called the 24-70 f/2.8 made by both Canon and Nikon. ;P


How is that equivelant?!



Jul 24, 2013 at 12:26 AM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


hijazist wrote:
How is that equivelant?!


It's not, really- the 24-70/2.8 lenses are wider and longer than the new Sigma, and the difference in sensors means that you'll get the same depth of field when using the same framing. The main advantage of this Sigma lens is that it allows you to keep your ISO speed lower, partially making up for the lower dynamic range and higher noise of crop sensors.

But it is very, very sharp and reasonably priced!



Jul 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Someone wished for a 1.8 "normal" zoom for FX... I still don't see how the 24-70s make up for that


Jul 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM
GC5
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


hijazist wrote:
Someone wished for a 1.8 "normal" zoom for FX... I still don't see how the 24-70s make up for that


Similar depth of field, but the Sigma lets in more light any way you cut it.

I'll just go ahead and criticize them for not making it a 15-85 1.6 with IS. Because, I mean, why not.



Jul 24, 2013 at 01:25 AM
vaflower
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


GC5 wrote:
Similar depth of field, but the Sigma lets in more light any way you cut it.

I'll just go ahead and criticize them for not making it a 15-85 1.6 with IS. Because, I mean, why not.


It is actually wrong. They let in a similar amount of light. It is just that the Sigma is for a crop sensor but the Canon is for a full frame. That's why the Sigma zoom is about as big as the full frame canon zoom.



Jul 24, 2013 at 01:35 AM
akin_t
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


vaflower wrote:
It is actually wrong. They let in a similar amount of light. It is just that the Sigma is for a crop sensor but the Canon is for a full frame. That's why the Sigma zoom is about as big as the full frame canon zoom.


You guys need to understand that f/1.8 is f/1.8 regardless of sensor format.

f/1.8 lets in more light than f/2.8 ... end of story.

I mean, by your equivalence logic, all point and shoots really have f/9 lenses and will need to shoot at ISO 3200 in daylight.



Jul 24, 2013 at 02:11 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



myron lee
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


akin_t wrote:
You guys need to understand that f/1.8 is f/1.8 regardless of sensor format.

f/1.8 lets in more light than f/2.8 ... end of story.

I mean, by your equivalence logic, all point and shoots really have f/9 lenses and will need to shoot at ISO 3200 in daylight.


Don't forget that the 24-70 f2.8 loses 3 stops of light due to glass. Whereas the sigma loses only 1.8 stops. So Sigma allows 2 1/2 stops of light more than the canon.



Jul 24, 2013 at 02:30 AM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


^ Your math and/or logic is off. f/2.8 is ~1.2-1.3 stops off from f/1.8, not 2.5 stops.


Maybe you meant it lets in about 2.5 times more light?


----------

Nit picking aside, looks like a badass lens. If I shot a crop DSLR, I'd definitely be rocking it. Alas, I'm FF and XE1, so no Siggy for me.



Jul 24, 2013 at 03:37 AM
Cgb628
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Post 1. Yay! The technical data is posted.

Post 2. Yes, there is a full frame version: 24-70 f/2.8.

Post 3. Awesome! Definitely post some test shots when it arrives.

Post 4. Yep.

Post 5. How is it equivalent? They have a similar range, similar minimum depth of field, and similar optical quality.

Post 6. Spot on.

Post 7. No, they wished for a full-frame equivalent. The FF equivalent was given.

Post 8. Incorrect. Maximum aperture on the Sigma is 19.4mm. Maximum aperture on a 24-70 f/2.8 is 25mm. The FF standard zooms let in just as much light. The Sigma just focuses it on a smaller frame.

Post 9. Yep.

Post 10. Ok? f/2 is f/2. iPhones have f/2.4 apertures. I fail to see your point. 1/100s is 1/100s on any camera, too. ISO 3200 on my friend's iPhone is nowhere near as clean as ISO 3200 on my 1DX. They may expose the same, but I guarantee my shot will look a lot nicer. iPhones have clearly visible noise at base ISO. If you're talking about depth of field equivalence, then I don't know why you say f/1.8=f/1.8, because sensor size matters. A P&S shot wide open will likely make an image with the same DOF as f/16-f/32 at an equivalent length on my camera.

Post 11. What? I'm not sure where you got the idea that "the" 24-70 f/2.8 is an actual lens. You have to specify which one you're talking about. The car doesn't work. Which car? Next up is your incorrect data. Canon's 24-70 f/2.8 has a t-stop of t/3.4. That's under one stop of light. (Somehow, DxOMark has the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 rated for a t-stop of 1.8. I'm not sure I believe that, since the Zeiss 70-200 costs 10x more than the others and manages a t-stop of 2.9. The other lenses are all around 3.4. Losing no light seems pretty damn impossible.)

Post 12. He's still wrong. Considering he said the Sigma loses 1.8, I'm not sure he knows what the aperture defines.

Post 13 (assuming no one takes the slot before I can post). The review looks snazzy. I already quoted it.



Jul 24, 2013 at 04:29 AM
akin_t
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Cgb628 wrote:
Post 10. Ok? f/2 is f/2. iPhones have f/2.4 apertures. I fail to see your point. 1/100s is 1/100s on any camera, too. ISO 3200 on my friend's iPhone is nowhere near as clean as ISO 3200 on my 1DX. They may expose the same, but I guarantee my shot will look a lot nicer. iPhones have clearly visible noise at base ISO. If you're talking about depth of field equivalence, then I don't know why you say f/1.8=f/1.8, because sensor size matters. A P&S shot wide open will likely make an image with the same DOF as f/16-f/32 at
...Show more

Don't really care to get into a futile debate tonight, but I'll do my best to be brief. My point was that you cannot speak of "equivalent" aperture in terms of DoF while conveniently ignoring the fact that the analogy falls apart in terms of exposure.

Perceived DoF is what changes with sensor format, the actual depth of field stays the same regardless of sensor format; circles of confusion do not change regardless of the sensor format (if you take anything away from this post, let it be this statement right here).

Just because one image appears to have more content in focus doesn't really mean it has more DoF, it merely means your perspective (as an observer) has changed. If you physically cut a 35mm full frame sensor down to a 1/1.5" point and shoot size ... Do you automatically gain more DoF?

Of course not.



Jul 24, 2013 at 04:52 AM
Fred Meebley
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


I love seeing Sigma come out swinging lately. With innovative and quality products at fair prices, they are hopefully going to keep Canon and Nikon honest. I have a bag full of Canon lenses and up till now haven't wanted to deal with Sigma's autofocus problems, but I'll be keeping my eye on this one as a potential lens for the new 70d. The way I understand it, with fast live view autofocus, front and back focusing at different distances will be a thing of the past along with tedious MFA for each lens. I guess I shouldn't assume that af will be inconsistent with this lens, time will tell.


Jul 24, 2013 at 04:53 AM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Cgb628 wrote:
Post 5. How is it equivalent? They have a similar range, similar minimum depth of field, and similar optical quality.

Post 6. Spot on.

Post 7. No, they wished for a full-frame equivalent. The FF equivalent was given.

.


Mine was a simple comment of how Sigma has been leading innovative lens designs recently, and stating how brilliant it would be if Sigma came out with an equivalent innovation of a 1.8 zoom for FX. This means a 24-70 1.8 zoom lens for FX... Now how is that equivalent to a 24-70 2.8?!!!



Jul 24, 2013 at 05:49 AM
myron lee
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


cputeq wrote:
^ Your math and/or logic is off. f/2.8 is ~1.2-1.3 stops off from f/1.8, not 2.5 stops.




Technically i mean t-stop. Which is the effective f-stop after factoring light loss due to transmission thru the lens. The 24-70 loses 1.2 stops more light than the sigma. Which means the effective f-stop of the sigma is 2.5 stops of light more than canon 24-70.

If I am shooting the sigma at f1.8 , 1/30 , iso 1600 then to get the same exposure with the canon 24-70, I may shoot f.2.8 , 1/30 , iso 9000.


Edited on Jul 24, 2013 at 06:22 AM · View previous versions



Jul 24, 2013 at 06:12 AM
galenapass
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


akin_t wrote:
Don't really care to get into a futile debate tonight, but I'll do my best to be brief. My point was that you cannot speak of "equivalent" aperture in terms of DoF while conveniently ignoring the fact that the analogy falls apart in terms of exposure.

Perceived DoF is what changes with sensor format, the actual depth of field stays the same regardless of sensor format; circles of confusion do not change regardless of the sensor format (if you take anything away from this post, let it be this statement right here).

Just because one image appears to have more content in
...Show more

This lens always generates these types arguments!
Even though I am a scientist, I find rehashing this so tedious. For me this lens is very exciting for other reasons:
(1) initial reviews show it to be amazing, looks really sharp
(2) the zoom encompasses my most used FLs (others will differ here)
(3) when mounted on a crop sensor camera, it gets me close to what a standard 24-70mm may look like (shorter zoom range though). I don't care about the theoretical arguments, it gets me close, that's enough.
(4) the lens is reasonably priced!
(5) If I want a walk around kit, a crop cam with this lens is viable option. If I want excellent IQ (crisp shots center to border) now I don't have to pay the outrageous price of a 24-70mm VII lens.
(6) This lens is a big "finger" to Canon, and frankly I like that. I have never been happy with the quality of the 24-70mm V1 or the 24-105mm, I have tried several versions of both and sold them or returned them for money back. For me this has been a huge frustration after buying my Canon super teles. I love those lenses but I have never liked the quality of the shorter zooms, and often thought about buying more Nikon gear to make up for this short coming. This lens is like a gift from the heavens - at least for me.
(7) In summary, I am happy with all my Canon lenses and now I can be happy with a walk around lens too. Thank you Sigma (I hope!).
Now I'm waiting for Canon to release a 7D successor.



Jul 24, 2013 at 06:15 AM
akin_t
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


galenapass wrote:
This lens always generates these types arguments!
Even though I am a scientist, I find rehashing this so tedious. For me this lens is very exciting for other reasons:
(1) initial reviews show it to be amazing, looks really sharp
(2) the zoom encompasses my most used FLs (others will differ here)
(3) when mounted on a crop sensor camera, it gets me close to what a standard 24-70mm may look like (shorter zoom range though). I don't care about the theoretical arguments, it gets me close, that's enough.
(4) the lens is reasonably priced!
(5) If I want a walk around kit, a crop
...Show more

I want to like this lens, but I think it's too big for me. I'm trying to transition to shooting smaller lenses. I just find that when I'm shooting people, I generally enjoy using a smaller lens.

I currently shoot a 7D too, and my go to lens is the 17-55mm ... But boy, that lens is huge!



Jul 24, 2013 at 06:47 AM
cookie99
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · DxOMark reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens


Thanks again Fred.


Jul 24, 2013 at 09:15 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password