a common East African monkey

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vervet I

Nice image. I don't know if the shallow depth of field was intentional, but I think I would prefer more DOF and to see the hairs sharper. If you agree, you might try some selective sharpening techniques. I would try the high pass filter.

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:13 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vervet I

Jim,
Thanks for your input.
I was trying to keep the ISO down below 800 since it gets noisy and I anticipated some shadow recovery and exposure issues. But I do wish there was a bit more DOF.
My sharpening skills are rudimentary but no reason not to open on Photoshop and play. Any suggestions on settings, how best to use high pass filter? Do you put it on a separate layer with luminosity blend mode?
Scott

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:20 AM
jothdu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vervet I

sbeme wrote:
Any suggestions on settings, how best to use high pass filter? Do you put it on a separate layer with luminosity blend mode?
Scott

If I'm using a high pass filter for sharpening, I would normally duplicate the image layer (or maybe merge all visible layers into a new layer depending on what I had done processing-wise to the image), run the high pass filter on the newly duplicated layer (generally using a radius of .5 - 1.5 px depending on the image), then change the blending mode of that high pass layer to soft light. That way, you can use a layer mask to more selectively sharpen, and/or a combination of layers and masks if necessary.

However, the monkey appears so soft that it doesn't seem like just a lack of creative sharpening to me. It looks more like a low-res image. Considering the body and focal length, I'm assuming it wasn't heavily cropped, so maybe it's just a poorly compressed jpg? If you were hand-holding without IS, maybe it's a little motion blur since it's a somewhat slow shutter/focal length ratio?

I looked at shots in your portfolio (many of which area really nice!) and the vast majority are nice and sharp, so I don't know what's up with this particular one.

Monkeys are one of my favorite animals to photograph. They have such expressive faces. I'm pretty sure I've got a Vervet image in the Animals gallery on my site.

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vervet I

thanks for the advice and feedback
I think a couple of issues here:
1. probably shot at too slow a shutter speed
2. better if f8 but noise becomes a problem at ISO 800 and more with the 7D, especially with difficult exposures
3. difficult exposure
4. maybe some movement of the monkey

My re-work attempt with some High Pass, slight color temp correction

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vervet I

Looks like a candidate for the much promised/teased Adobe C.C. camera shake reduction (de blur).

https://blogs.adobe.com/samartha/2013/06/photoshop-cc-the-magical-camera-shake-reduction.html

(Catch the video by R.C.!)

Edited on Jul 25, 2013 at 08:38 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vervet I

yes

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.