New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

Is there anything special about the 43mm filter thread on the Zeiss ZM lenses like their 35mm f/2 Biogen. Will a standard B+W 43mm filter work?

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

The standard 43mm B&W circular polarizer works on my ZM 35/2.8 and ZM 50 Planar.

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:17 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

Yes the standard B+W will fit but I would recommend the Zeiss filters because I had several problems with B+W filters including flare, uneven coating, color casts. The Zeiss filters have the same coatings as the lenses themselves, are very flare resistant, and the build quality is better than the B+W.

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:18 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

The issue with 43mm filters isn't Zeiss, but Leica. Leica lenses with 43mm threads use a different thread pitch (.5mm vs .75mm thread pitch) than most 43mm filters. I owned a B+W 43mm that used the Leica pitch and wouldn't fit properly on other lenses.

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:38 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

edwardkaraa wrote:
Yes the standard B+W will fit but I would recommend the Zeiss filters because I had several problems with B+W filters including flare, uneven coating, color casts. The Zeiss filters have the same coatings as the lenses themselves, are very flare resistant, and the build quality is better than the B+W.

Interesting! Yeah, I've used B+W UV and CP filters on my ZM50/2 and it generally makes the quality worse (quite a bit lower contrast).

Though i really should figure out how to get a nice long hood onto that thing, the standard rangefinder one is so short. And I'm using it on APS-C currently, too.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

CVickery is right. The issue is the different pitch thread used by Leica ( fortunately only for the 43mm. size).
Therefore:
Leica lens => Leica filter ( or made specifically for Leica )
Non Leica lens=> standard filter ( non Leica or made for Leica ).

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

edwardkaraa wrote:

I thought Zeiss filters are re-branded B+W?

Am I wrong?

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:48 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Interesting! Yeah, I've used B+W UV and CP filters on my ZM50/2 and it generally makes the quality worse (quite a bit lower contrast).

Though i really should figure out how to get a nice long hood onto that thing, the standard rangefinder one is so short. And I'm using it on APS-C currently, too.

There should be plenty of cheap metal 'tube' hoods on *bay. I'd probably go with a 46mm and a step ring so there's a bit less chance of vignetting. But here's a neat alternative: 3D printed hoods, and there are a couple versions for the 50/2: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/AnalogueRobot?l=36

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:26 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

Mescalamba wrote:
I thought Zeiss filters are re-branded B+W?

Am I wrong?

B+W filters are made in Germany by Schneider. Zeiss filters are made in Japan by Zeiss, probably by the same factory that manufactures Sony Zeiss filters. The glass, the coatings, the frames are all different, so I wonder where did you get your information, Mescalamba?

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

Taylor Sherman wrote:

The hood of the ZM 85/4 fits on the 50/2 and 35/2, but I haven't done any vignetting tests. This said, the 50/2 planar combined with a Zeiss filter are really really difficult to flare.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

artur5 wrote:
CVickery is right. The issue is the different pitch thread used by Leica ( fortunately only for the 43mm. size).
Therefore:
Leica lens => Leica filter ( or made specifically for Leica )
Non Leica lens=> standard filter ( non Leica or made for Leica ).

With all my leica lenses I have no problem at all using B+W's. These are 39mm and 46mm lenses.

For 43mm you are right, but for the other leica's it isn't needed.

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 43mm filters for Zeiss ZM lenses

rscheffler wrote:
There should be plenty of cheap metal 'tube' hoods on *bay. I'd probably go with a 46mm and a step ring so there's a bit less chance of vignetting. But here's a neat alternative: 3D printed hoods, and there are a couple versions for the 50/2: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/AnalogueRobot?l=36

Oh cool! Thanks!

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.