Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

John P Mulgrew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

Would more RAM make the transfer from my camera to the iMac faster? Also what is a good program to use to shoot tethered, I have problems with LR 4 and don't like the Canon software.

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:00 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

probably not.

try this -> www.sofortbildapp.com

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #3 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

Thanks Howard will give it a try.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

howardm4 wrote:
probably not.

try this -> www.sofortbildapp.com

@howardm4...Looks like Sofortbid is for Nikon-only.

@John...I remember stumbling across some info about incompatibilities with the Canon SDK and LR4, seems Canon broke their own tethered capture for OSX 10.7.510.8 users. I'm not sure if a patch has been written, do you have the latest updates for RAW, LR4 and Canon? Also, which version of OSX are you running? I don't shoot tethered so no help there for suggestions, but I love troubleshooting and am happy to help.

In the meantime, something to read...

Simple Tethering for Canon and Others:
http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/post-processing-articles/simple-tethering-for-canon-and-others/

...for OSX and Windoze.

Jimmy G

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #5 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

I'm also going to look at Capture One. I just ordered RAM for the iMac and I'm sure it will make the programs run a bit faster, only 4gb in there now.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

I use Breeze Systems DSLR Remote Pro on a laptop with only 4GB of RAM. Runs great, it takes about 4.5 sec to transfer an image via USB cable from my Canon 50D to my laptop.

<Chas>

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

John P Mulgrew wrote:
I'm also going to look at Capture One. I just ordered RAM for the iMac and I'm sure it will make the programs run a bit faster, only 4gb in there now.

John, at 4GB you are way low on RAM. Load your machine to its maximum.
OWC is an excellent source of RAM. Have done business with them for years. They have real live people who answer the phone or call you back if there is problem. Check their site for your maximums. I do very little tethered shooting, but have found Capture One to be the best in my limited experience.

Good luck,

Robert

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:58 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #8 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

Thanks Robert and I have 16GB being delivered on Monday

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:41 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

Just to temper your expectations, I doubt it's going to make that large a difference in import speed although overall system responsiveness will definitely improve.

Jul 27, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #10 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

I'm running the latest and greatest iMac with I7, 3.4Mhz and 16Gb and LR5 is still slow. It's not the iMac it's the rendering of LR, although 4Gb is not enough.
If you use "minimum" during import, it's much faster, but you "pay" when you're going to develop because the rendering will take place at that moment.
With fast cards and USB3 uploading is very fast.

Jul 27, 2013 at 02:30 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #11 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

Just stumbled across this this morning...a new software for tethered shooting Canon cameras...currently in Beta...

Kuuvik capture - initial review:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/software/kuuvik.html

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:01 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · iMac more RAM to help shooting Tethered?

Fortunately, on Mac OS X you really don't need any additional software to shoot tethered with any RAW converter that can use a "watched folder" ... Which Lr can do.

Max OS X comes with a very handy, though mundane app that can handle getting images to your drive via tether and natively supports over twice as many cameras as Lr does. Also, Apple has been much more timely in adding tether support at the system level for new cameras, usually four to six months earlier than Adobe ... they add the tether support at the same time they add RAW support for new cameras ... Heck, even My old D70s is supported for tethering.

The app is called Image Capture and is in your Applications folder by default. It is simplistic and only offers one camera control, you can trigger the shutter and that's about it. Simply designate the folder you want Image Capture to save the images to, and set that as your watched folder in Lr.

If you are not experiencing much lag or stalls when Lr is rendering images already stored on your drive in your normal workflow, it is very likely more featured tethering software or even more RAM will speed up the process, no matter how much RAM you have or how powerful your processor is, the weak link is the throughput of the USB connection in getting the data to your drive in order for Lr to access that data ... Though, I would never discourage anyone from obtaining as much RAM as they can afford. More RAM is always more better ...

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password