Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Summer Lax

Bill Wood
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summer Lax

Nice to Photograph talent.

All cropped 5 x 7
1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summer Lax

Hi Bill:

Nice four shots. Your #3 image is the best of the four in my opinion. Shooting summer LAX can be difficult at best because of the sidelines, too many onlookers in the bg.

If you are photographing to capture portraits, only #3 works for me.

If you are photographing to capture action and or intensity only #3 works for me.

#1 The player is passing/clearing the ball...nothing special (watch your horizon).
#2 A nice capture but you can't see the GK or the shooters face.
#3 It would appear to be overcast and raining and your ISO 200, 640-800 might have been a lot better. Noise reduction would also help.
#4 Running with the ball but no interaction with the D. Too much background distraction.

I hope this helps.

Ted

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Bill Wood
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summer Lax

Ted ellis wrote:
Hi Bill:

Nice four shots. Your #3 image is the best of the four in my opinion. Shooting summer LAX can be difficult at best because of the sidelines, too many onlookers in the bg.

If you are photographing to capture portraits, only #3 works for me.

If you are photographing to capture action and or intensity only #3 works for me.

#1 The player is passing/clearing the ball...nothing special (watch your horizon).
#2 A nice capture but you can't see the GK or the shooters face.
#3 It would appear to be overcast and raining and your ISO 200, 640-800 might have been a
...Show more

Thanks for the input Ted.

Number one is a shot. Being a shot I think it is a good capture.

I agree on the background usually I can find an angle but in these games that was nearly impossible.

I have a few more years of Sports photography in front of me so I am not going to replace by 1DII body but I would certainly like a higher ISO range. I do not like 640-800 ISO on that body noise reduction or not.
400 would help a bit but the clouds were coming and going so fast. Shot 3 is also a pretty serious crop.

Thanks again.

Jul 29, 2013 at 03:17 PM
p.hawks

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summer Lax

I liked #3 the best, I guess I would call it an "action portrait" if that makes sense. Overall though, I feel like giving more context would really help your shots. For example, in number 1, we don't know if he was just heaving it, or if he made a great pass. If you were able to get on over-the-shoulder shot of the receiving player, though difficult, that would be awesome. Number 2 was already mentioned, pretty simple. Number 4, the body position of the D player is essential, that way we can tell whether the attacker was on a breakaway, or whether he just faked the defender.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Bill Wood
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summer Lax

Thanks for the input, so you prefer this to number 4. I do like some isolation and a 300 sometimes gives you that weather you want it or not.

I see the horizons are off on this but it has more context

This is a shot

This is a shot, I had a little to much focal length

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summer Lax

Hi Bill

Regarding your response to Ted's comment;

Ted - It would appear to be overcast and raining and your ISO 200, 640-800 might have been a lot better. Noise reduction would also help.

Your response - I have a few more years of Sports photography in front of me so I am not going to replace by 1DII body but I would certainly like a higher ISO range. I do not like 640-800 ISO on that body noise reduction or not.

I doesn't appear Ted was recommending that you replace your camera body….just to bump up your ISO to the 640-800 range.

But then when you said you don't like ISO 640-800…that confused me a bit to ask the question….what do you do when the situation calls for bumping up the ISO to that range or higher?

Maybe I mis-interpreted your response but it just left me wondering what you do in those situations.

Aug 02, 2013 at 01:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bill Wood
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summer Lax

Honestly I am not sure why he thinks that would have helped the shot(s). I don't see an appreciable motion blur. I see it exposed how it was. I had 1/3 a stop of exp comp in AV mode. When forced to I will bump the ISO but I prefer not to and I don't see the value in this situation.

His comment of "The player is passing/clearing the ball...nothing special (watch your horizon)" makes me believe he does not watch a lot of boys lacrosse at this level? That is obviously a shot, no one passes or clears like that. It made me question what he was saying right or wrong.

Am I missing something?

Aug 03, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summer Lax

Bill…you have some nice shots, but your horizons are definitely off in a few of these. A horizon that is off stands out like a sore thumb and one may have a great shot….but if the horizon is off….it muddies the water for me.

I could see where one might get the impression that he could be passing in #1. That's only one frame and with no clear position on the field and no other players around….I could come to that conclusion.

I think #3 is the best of the bunch…however, it is noisy and NR can clean it up considerably. Also #7 and #8 could use a slight levels adjustment as they appear a bit washed out.

On #5….part of the defender is cut off and could benefit from a horizontal crop. Same with the last one….the tip of his stick is cut off.

On #6….I like it and it could be a good shot…but the horizon being off ruins it for me.

Hope this helps.

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Summer Lax

Bill Wood wrote:
Honestly I am not sure why he thinks that would have helped the shot(s). I don't see an appreciable motion blur. I see it exposed how it was. I had 1/3 a stop of exp comp in AV mode. When forced to I will bump the ISO but I prefer not to and I don't see the value in this situation.

His comment of "The player is passing/clearing the ball...nothing special (watch your horizon)" makes me believe he does not watch a lot of boys lacrosse at this level? That is obviously a shot, no one passes or clears like
...Show more

Bill:

I have photographed lacrosse 9-years (100 + games, not including summer/fall games), of women's LAX, 4-years of high school and 5-years of UNC LAX a D1 premiere team in the nation, three NCAA semifinal games and two National Championship LAX games to include 2013.

The fundamentals of LAX photography are the same whether men or women. I gave a suggestion when in low light to use an ISO higher than 200. IMO, I may be stepping out on a limb, 10 out of 10 LAX photographers with my experience would not shoot live action at ISO 200 in low light.

My definition of quality in a shot include but are not limited to crisp images, level horizons, good backgrounds, peak action, interaction between players, faces and "POP".

There is a difference when one is printing a photo to sell and posting on an internet forum such as this. Those (parents) who buy LAX or any other sports action pictures will often buy a photo of lesser quality when there are better quality photos available. It's a fact of life.

When posting on this forum LAX threads are generally not as popular (# of views # of comments) as baseball, football or dance/cheer. With that being said, it is common for replies/critique such as mine and Frank's (long standing members) to be honest. Often some are offended by the critique. The replies were suggestions only intended to improve future endeavors.

The shot (#1) and comment you seem sensitive to is the "obvious" shooting shot I though was a clearing pass. I remember a deep defender from UNC women's LAX who on a number of occasions cleared the ball in a very similar fashion.

I hope to see more of your LAX photography in the future.

Ted

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:17 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Summer Lax

Ill throw in two cents with of suggestion for number 1.
Change the crop for a much stronger (less distracting) composition. Crop out the mid right edge white blurr, and also on the left side, the piece of red roof. Give it a try and post the before and after, I bet you'll agree.

Keep on posting.

Guy

Aug 04, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Bill Wood
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Summer Lax

Ted ellis wrote:
Bill:

I have photographed lacrosse 9-years (100 + games, not including summer/fall games), of women's LAX, 4-years of high school and 5-years of UNC LAX a D1 premiere team in the nation, three NCAA semifinal games and two National Championship LAX games to include 2013.

The fundamentals of LAX photography are the same whether men or women. I gave a suggestion when in low light to use an ISO higher than 200. IMO, I may be stepping out on a limb, 10 out of 10 LAX photographers with my experience would not shoot live action at ISO 200 in low light.
...Show more

Ted thanks for your input and I value it. I guess my confusion is that in a single High School Lacrosse game I'll see 10 shots that look just like that and I have never seen a pass like that. I think without shooting strings on the lacrosse head that particular move would be hard to pull off. The ball would fly high. That shot is meant to come in high at the goalies feet. It is very effective.

As for ISO, I go with the lowest value that gives me an acceptable shutter speed. I maybe I should have gone to 400 but after that I'd let the stick blur a bit before I would introduce noise. Just my way of thinking. I have a 5DII that is a whole different story, I would run the ISO up without giving it a second thought but on my 1DII is get ugly fast.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. My time I post I will give my internet photos special attention.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password