Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her br...

mirrorrim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

I think the color and lighting are really nice. But if I was the bride, I would feel that while you got creative, you didnt really deliver many traditional photos that show off the dress. It's all about the dress! I'd like to see some that are just straight on (ie no overhead angle), full body shots with her looking at the camera and nicely posed.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

You'll find everyone has a different opinion on what you can do different. People are going to tell you everything... from posing specifics, being more creative, offering more traditional shots, shoot wider, shoot tighter, ect. But the fact is that is their style, not yours. You can't just change your style overnight.

If the bride doesn't like the photos, and you MUST shoot the wedding, I'd be sure to ask her what she want's and if she has any ideas before and during the day. Of course this can backfire, as she will undoubtedly want photos with her brides maids lined up on a staircase of some sort (those never look good). And then some photos of her dress layed out covered with bouquets and she'll request that to be in selective color. The point is get her involved. Make it a team effort.

If the bride was looking for a different style, she shouldn't have hired you. I think your images are fine. My guess is that she she just has some self-esteem issues or something. Some people just never like the way they look and especially in photos. Some people are just hard to please.

Personally I try not to worry about this type of stuff. I know there are brides out there, who probably get all upset about backfat, their bad side, their point elbows, ect. Shoot what you think will look good and try to please yourself.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:29 AM
mbpautz762
• •
p.2 #3 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

Nathan, your advice has helped more than you could imagine. It's true that it's my style and although I will continually learn and evolve as I go along, it seems she had an issue with all the photos i.e. my style. She does have a few requests for the wedding (all creative shots, too - nothing traditional so far), but beyond trying to get those shots, I will simply shoot it to the best of my ability and not sacrifice how I like to shoot. Improve? absolutely! but I won't mold my entire style specifically to her taste. I am meeting with her tomorrow to discuss this, and if she TRULY has an issue with my shots, I will agree to terminate the contract mutually and let her choose a photographer that she does mesh with. Otherwise I'll just do my thing, post my shots, learn how to improve from feedback, lather, rinse, and repeat.

Of course I'm happy saying this because of the "capture and delivery" clause, along with the "Post production and editing" clause that release me from liability from providing specific shots
If that wasn't there, this would be a whole other story!

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:31 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #4 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

Its her own issues.

I had this once for a glam shoot. She looked amazing but she had such body issues I had to just let it go a give her money back.

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.2 #5 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

I agree with Mirrorrim that bridal portraits are about the dress, and of course we have to do whatever we can to make the bride look her best. The good news is that this bride already looks good.

There are only two images (8103 and 8090) that show the entire dress, with 8103 being the strongest image of the entire set IMO. One question though....what is the bright diagonal line in the upper right-hand corner?

Other critique:

The exposure, focus, DOF and skin tone in nearly every image is spot-on, and the location is tailor made for some great images.

There's a saying that goes "if there's two of them, make them different". Take a look at the hands & arms in 8049, 8048, 8189, 8129, 8118 and you'll see that her left & right arms are mirror images of each other.

Images where a bride is laughing (e.g. 8048) is fun, but it's unlikely that you'll ever sell one as a bridal portrait.

7901 - Amputated right hand. This also might (?) have looked better with short lighting.

7996 - Perhaps shoot this wider, and take another shot with her looking at the camera.

8090 - Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of images where the female's hips and shoulders are facing directly into the camera. Even if you're okay from that perspective, the pose looks forced. Posing can be challenging because it's new to most of the people we work with. When step-by-step verbal instructions don't work, it can help to have them actively move into a pose. 8103 demonstrates this latter technique rather well.

8118 - The angle and choice of lens (?) makes her head look abnormally big. We can see the back of her hand, and her left shoulder looks awkward because it's pushed forward.

8129 - The backs of both hands are showing, and her head looks abnormally large. Her hips and tummy look bigger than they actually are due to the pose, the angle, and the way the dress is made. This image probably would have looked better with short lighting.

8189 - This shot shows the beneficial effect of short lighting. It unfortunately fails to capture the entire dress, plus she looks bored, as if she's waiting for instructions. Part of her left arm and a great deal of her dress and veil are blown out. Maybe that was the intent, but it fails to highlight the dress.

Head shots, and even head & shoulder shots, don't usually go over well for bridal portraits. Others may have different experiences, but every bridal portrait that I've sold was a full-length image.

My $.02. YMMV.

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:27 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #6 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

When a client doesn't like the way they look in your images... lots of people have some insecurities or dislikes about themselves or they way they look but when they don't like their images it's not necessarily about poor self esteem issues. Even if it were, the answer's the same: they didn't come to you to be photographed in such a way that emphasizes their perceived flaws. And cameras also exaggerate those flaws which in turn have to be compensated for by the photographer.

You're supposed to be able to know how to photograph people to make them look their best. That's why they'll gladly give you money in exchange for that. And if you do portrait work, that's what people expect you to provide. A bride wants to look amazing. When the photographer fails to do that, that's the only reason you'd have people not liking their images and wanting refunds.

Don't get into the mentality many propose that the client's to blame and that it's all about the photographer's style. Been there, done that. I've learned thinking that may soothe one's ego, but it only serves to soothe the bruised ego and not bring you any closer to improvement.

Early on, I had it happen. It was disturbing and I'd shake it off by saying it's them, not me. Eventually though I started to get away from that thinking and worked on improving skills. Now, I'm happy to say, I get wows and accordingly, high sales averages. How come I don't run across people with issues anymore? So it's not the people.

You could improve by studying how to photograph the female form and faces. In almost every image, you've photographed her at her widest view. In some, you've got her hunched up in a way that her shoulders appear to be protruding from her face - there's no neck. You've got fleshy arms sticking out of her head. Look through your images again with that in mind.

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:17 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.2 #7 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

BigIronCruiser makes a lot of good points.

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:54 PM
g-money
• • •
p.2 #8 · How would you react if Bride says she doesn't like her bridal photos?

jcolman wrote:
Since you are in the south, like me, perhaps it is a cultural thing. I shoot a lot of brides and many southern brides seem like they want the traditional style of photo.

Agreed 100% This is exactly what I was thinking while viewing the set. Here in the deep south most of my brides, especially their moms, end of purchasing a nice traditional pose, usually full lenth showing all the dress, but not to wide a shot. I have been asked to crop some closer so she will be larger. Your shots are not bad. Just not what she was expecting I bet.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password