New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Inkjet vs Lightjet

Sunny Alan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Inkjet vs Lightjet

I know my above comparison is slightly wrong because 'Lightjet' is a brand name, but the method of imaging is different from inkjet, thus I mentioned it so.

I read that quality of printouts of Lightjet's silver based paper, exposed with digital imaging process is 'The best available' as of now in color, speed and archival quality, much better than any 'best' inkjet devices; like Canon, Epson or HP.
Despite this high end feature, Lightjet is no more manufactured, I read !

I am just going to invest in a 9900 Epson, but wonder if anything better available. Of course the price is a barrier, but investing about double the amount of the inkjet give more than double quality: color, speed, life, I dont mind going for it.

I request insights on this.
(I coudnt see any thread on this, hope I am not repeating.)

Thanks in advance...

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:57 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Inkjet vs Lightjet

Whose "marketing materials" are you reading?

What types of printing and types of fine art medias do you want to use?

I'll take my Epson 9900 and 9890 K7 B&W piezography printer over "Lightjet," Chromira, Noritsu, et al. given the choice.

ken

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Inkjet vs Lightjet

I worked at a lab with a Lightjet for 4 years -- with proper equipment maintenance, chemistry, profiles, and know-how, the large prints were spectacular. That being said, you have to like the look of the limited paper types that are available. And you have to find a really good lab with profiles that are dialed-in. And do a lot of test prints.

So yeah, I usually print at home on an Epson these days, because I like the paper choices better. That, and the lab where I worked is gone now.

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Inkjet vs Lightjet

You can check for longevity tests:

http://wilhelm-research.com/

With the new Epson inks, I believe they now surpass traditional chemical methods.Epson claims 108 years for color and 200 for b&w.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Landing/UltraChromeK3.jsp

And as Mr. Joe stated, the paper choices are so much better.

Just as with quality photos, the quality print is not just in the equipment, but also in the hands of the photographer.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Marc Leibowitz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Inkjet vs Lightjet

Sunny

A few years ago I might have agreed. Light jet or Lambda prints were very high quality but time moves on and inkjets printers are much better now that then. Lightjets are no longer made. I'm not sure about Durst's Lambda processors.
Better have very deep pockets to even think about them. Archival / & image quality is firmly in the inkjet camp. Only exception I can see is Metallic papers prints.

The Lambda or Light jets process uses a type silver photo paper. A digital image is "exposed" with a laser and the paper is then chemically developed.
The hardware is only justifiable in a commercial production setting. The "look" of the prints is more pastel, softer than a inkjet which I would call more saturated, and now more accurate. Light jets are very good for flesh tones with properly handled images.

Ink jet printers allow for wider paper selection, have better permanence and newer inkjets print allow awider range of tone,

Marc

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.