Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Automobile photography

pinball_pw
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Automobile photography

A friend has asked me a few times to take photos of his classic cars. I have not tried automobile photography before. I found a classic car at a museum recently and snapped a few shots. I would love to hear your feedback on them and if you have any general tips or references to provide.

I did note that reflections must be carefully managed which I didn't do a complete job of here.
1)

2)

3)

Reworks are great as long as you shared the what and how.

Thank you - Paul

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Automobile photography

Shooting cars in a Museum or on display is an exercise in contortionism.

1- Your Zeiss 100/2 is too sharp for such photography and has the added bonus of CA.
2- You need both a wide (20-35) and a long (85-135) maybe a zoom is more practical but I don't do zooms.
3- You can go up to ISO 400 - 800 for stopped down shots (max f11).
4- No flash and if you want to use flash then it has to be diffused with a soft box or any modifier.
5- In their present condition, your shots would need many hours of retouching to get rid of all the scratches and speckles.

What I did is concentrate on the hero in the first and last pic. The middle pic is back-focused as the Buick logo on the steering wheel is OOF.

My PP is simple, I masked both the mascot and the rear light with a circular mask gradient> reverse it> blur to taste.

As usual, all PP is subjective.

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Automobile photography

+1 @ too sharp/too much detail @ specs of dust.

I can be as much a detail junkie as they come, so I've done the same thing at varying times. It looks like there may have been some heavy lifting in PP to achieve this level of sharpening, so maybe a bit more "relaxed" amount of PP will be beneficial. The middle image doesn't seem to have as much issue with this as the other two.

Cars are a tough gig, you might check out some of JohnJ's work for some ideas. As you can already tell, reflections are an issue to be contended with.

Nothing to get excited about, but here's one with some Noise>Dust & Scratches (3,0) thrown at it (some masking @ taillight). Also, a (very few) areas spotting out some reflections. The crop is "eh" since I lost some of the taillight on the rotation, but you get the gist.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 05:19 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:14 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Automobile photography

Thank you both. It helps to know what to look for I appreciate the write up and examples. I have some shots with the 85L that are a bit shallower that might be of more interest based on this feedback.

Do you have a link to JohnJ? That name doesn't ring a bell. **Edit - found him, will check out his site**

Cheers - Paul

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Automobile photography

http://www.johnjovic.com/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/member.php?Action=viewprofile&username=JohnJ

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:21 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password