Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

JennyPenny

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

If you or anyone you know lost a camera in nyc. I Found : Leica camera in train in NYC on 7/21/13 Sunday night. Email Legal718@gmail.com with details of your camera and I will return to rightful owner.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

It's a shot in the dark, but I hope someone claims it!

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:01 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

Why not turn it in to the lost and found department of the port authority? That would seem to be logical place that someone would contact if they lost it.

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:44 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

Hi Dan,

Well the OP doesn't state whether it was PA or MTA train, but I agree that the appropriate Lost Property division would have been the place to drop it off. FWIW, I did stumble on the OP's post on CL and Communitydotinfo pages, at least they're making some sort of an effort. However, it's a big city, lotsa tourists, and non-English-speaking folks...not sure how savvy some of those folks would be to go looking for a lost Leica on the internet from a good samaritan! If I lost a camera while abroad in a non-English-speaking country I wouldn't have a clue how to search the native websites for that gear. I'd go to the appropriate Lost & Found and if they didn't have it I'd consider it gone.

Just sayin',
Jimmy G

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

Why not turn it in to the lost and found department of the port authority

Unclaimed items are auctioned off after a reasonable time. Proceeds benefit NYC. Do your best to find the owner, but don't make it a quest.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:09 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

borderlight wrote:
Unclaimed items are auctioned off after a reasonable time. Proceeds benefit NYC. Do your best to find the owner, but don't make it a quest.

Hi borderlight,

I'll have to disagree here. NYC is not small-town America where language differences might not be a factor in trying to locate an owner of a missing Leica. Nearly 30% of New Yorkers do not speak English and if we add the total tourists and visitors in a day to "The Big Apple" the number likely exceeds 30% by some margin. Here are some stats, first for NY State and then NYC...

New York - Languages:
http://www.city-data.com/states/New-York-Languages.html

Population - New York City Department of City Planning:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/census/pop_facts.shtml

Making a good-faith effort trying to locate the owner through English-only outlets may seem honorable on the surface but, to my sensibilities, it excludes the most-likely first point of someone's search, the Lost Property Division of either the MTA or PA. From the OP's own postings, the camera was found on the 21st, it is now the 24th. My question to the OP is simple, "Just how long, and how deep, would any of us go searching for a lost camera in a foreign land?"

Methinks the OP's, uh, "nobility" has diminished the likelihood of reuniting the owner with their camera, not increased that likelihood. Online postings informing the public that a lost Leica had been found and had been turned over to the specific Lost & Found would have been the way to go...IMHO...in NYC.

My 2 for today.
Jimmy G

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:50 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NYC photographers: Camera Found!

I reconsidered. Turn it in to the NYPA as Dan suggested.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password