1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji Firmware Update July

rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fuji Firmware Update July

justruss wrote:
OK. It's quite possible I never used the X-Pro1 with the literal release firmware, but instead used one of the early updates.

In any case, recent firmware really has been fine. The current one is still a real improvement.

That's great. Clearly the autofocus is much better, judging from the reaction here and elsewhere. A shame Fujifilm could not develop the camera properly the first time. I'd own one for sure now if they did it right out of the gate.

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:56 PM
felixj

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Decent improvement on this. Most noticeable for me is clearly 60mm. I think the lens is very very difficult to use reliably before but now seemed much quicker with much lens hunting. I will need more extended testing to confirm this but the poor AF relegated this lens to the bench previously and it will be hard to get picked up now!

As for focus peaking, a very welcome improvement as I predominantly shoot with vintage lens recently. It isn't as clear as I like on EVF while not zoomed in. That will be a learning curve to master because I am sure I will notice it more as I get used to it.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:29 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Jman13 wrote:
Now, in situations two full stops worse than that (actually a little more even), with the smallest AF box, I'm getting AF to lock accurately and pretty darn quickly every single time.

I noticed that too. Even with the smaller AF boxes, I'm getting AF to lock a lot more often in poorer light. Usually before, I had to use the largest AF box.

With focus peaking, I noticed I'm doing the opposite of how I would set my NEX 5N. On the NEX, I usually set focus peaking to have low intensity so I can easily see edges change. In the Fuji, I'm having to set focus peaking to maximum as I can barely see the outline change while manually focusing. However, this is also lens dependent as it's a lot easier to see the focus peaking outline change when using my Nikon 85mm f1.8g on an adapter compared to the Fuji 35mm f1.4. The biggest difference I've noticed is that focus peaking in the Fuji is really helpful when used in the magnified view as it's really easy to see focus peaking in the 3x/10x magnified view.

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:15 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fuji Firmware Update July

FlyPenFly wrote:
Hmmm is the blackout time better or worse than an EOS-M?

THe blackout on that camera drives me nuts. My NEX cameras and especially Olympus cameras had un-disruptive blackout times.

The biggest frustration for me with the X-E1 is that when you take 2 or 3 shots in a row it takes a while to write to the card so you have to wait a few seconds for playback to check focus, etc.

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:47 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fuji Firmware Update July

The 35 1.4 seems quicker with the FW update.

What I don't like about the 35 is that its significantly noisier than the 18-55 and it always does this focus in and out movement each time you focus it -its not really hunting, I'm not sure what you would call it, but its annoying.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:08 PM
SR777
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Fuji released a R3.01 update for the X-Pro1:

"Thank you very much for using FUJIFILM X-Pro1.

We are very sorry that we have found a malfunction on the movie function in the upgraded firmware version 3.00 posted on 23 Jul 2013. We deeply apologize for your inconvenience which this may cause.

Please upgrade your camera with firmware version 3.01 before you use it."

The R3.01 upgrade worked fine. The AF with Fuji 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 lenses is substantially improved to the point where AF speed is less of an obstacle. I don't take videos and cannot comment on that aspect.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:32 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fuji Firmware Update July

michael49 wrote:
I'm not sure what you would call it, but its annoying.

It's called CDAF. All CDAF lenses will do this, but the quiet and fast ones are much less noticeable, and the fastest CDAF systems can do it imperceptibly. It goes beyond the area of greatest contrast, then comes back to it (otherwise, it wouldn't know what had the GREATEST contrast).

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Jman13 wrote:
It's called CDAF. All CDAF lenses will do this, but the quiet and fast ones are much less noticeable, and the fastest CDAF systems can do it imperceptibly. It goes beyond the area of greatest contrast, then comes back to it (otherwise, it wouldn't know what had the GREATEST contrast).

Yes, and that's why AF lenses will focus "past" infinity.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:40 AM
SR777
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fuji Firmware Update July

jcolwell wrote:
Yes, and that's why AF lenses will focus "past" infinity.

It is exactly how I focus manually - go past the point of focus and work back to get the focus right.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:44 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fuji Firmware Update July

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:08 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Jman13 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't realize that CDAF worked this way. I've never noticed the 18-55 do this, I suppose it must be fast and quiet enough to not notice it.

Jul 27, 2013 at 07:38 AM
ssnap
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Peaking is fantastic! I have loved this on my wife's NEX-5N with my old Pentax MF lenses. Now I feel that this gives me more options with the XP1.

The AF speed is improved and does lock on better in low light situations, so I'm happy about that.

Jul 27, 2013 at 07:32 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.